• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Demon Souls

dinjo_jo

I would be starting to play this game in next 2 days and i have heard its one of the most toughest game so how should i proceed, i'm not a RPG player.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
I would be starting to play this game in next 2 days and i have heard its one of the most toughest game so how should i proceed, i'm not a RPG player.

I hear its very hard, but rewarding. I hope to import it one day myself :)

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Stick the game in. Turn it on. Begin playing.

That's how you should proceed.

:roll:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
I hear its very hard, but rewarding. I hope to import it one day myself :)

Import it? They don't sell it over in the UK? There is an English version of the game, I am in the US though, so maybe it's not for sale over there?

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Import it? They don't sell it over in the UK? There is an English version of the game, I am in the US though, so maybe it's not for sale over there?

Afraid not. No scheduled European release EVER! :( So I will need to import a US version when I can afford too :)

How much is it on sale for in US shops m8?

dinjo_jo

I'm from India and i'm getting the game from my friend too and i'm asking this since its tremendously difficult and you can leave the game in between

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
Id say it's like $40 used now.

I hear the games control scheme takes a WHILE to get used to but once you do it's pretty fun.

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
id say no matter what restrain from throwing your controller no this one, mine after the 7th time flying at the wall gave up, and i had to stop playing the game

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Afraid not. No scheduled European release EVER! :( So I will need to import a US version when I can afford too :)

you pay shipping i'll let you borrow it hookey. I don't mind it going overseas, I just don't know if it is worth it to you to borrow instead of buy.

it really is a great game.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403

About $40 online over here, theres also a Asian version with English that costs about the same. The only real difference is, if you get the US version, you can play with people that have that (well not play with, but try and kill or watch them die) and if you have the Asian version, you can only do stuff with them. Also if you had both, they technically have their own trophys, even though I believe they are the same ones.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
you pay shipping i'll let you borrow it hookey. I don't mind it going overseas, I just don't know if it is worth it to you to borrow instead of buy.

it really is a great game.

WOW! Thanks for that offer m8 :) And I get what your saying, this is probably one of those 'must own' titles......because from what I hear, it can get annoying so you need to take a few deep breaths, have a break then go back for more LOL :roll:

But a big THANK YOU all the same ;)

About $40 online over here, theres also a Asian version with English that costs about the same. The only real difference is, if you get the US version, you can play with people that have that (well not play with, but try and kill or watch them die) and if you have the Asian version, you can only do stuff with them. Also if you had both, they technically have their own trophys, even though I believe they are the same ones.

Yeah, I would like a US version so I can see all the hints and stuff that others leave behind (that sounds really cool and original)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have the game and its a love hate relationship. Here is a post I made at another forum about this game:

Here is a quick rundown about this PS3 game if you are interested:

Quoted from: Wikipedia:
Demon’s Souls is an action role-playing game where players engage in combat with demons across a variety of fantasy worlds. Players take control of the main character in a third-person view who, at the start of the game, can be customized in their gender, appearance, name and starting class.[6] There are up to 10 starting classes ranging from knights and barbarians to thieves and magicians, each with their own set of statistics, starting gear and weapons and type of magic used that emphasize certain approaches to combat depending on the player’s preference.

As players kill demons, they gain souls which are an all purpose in-game currency that can be used to buy, repair and upgrade weapons along with increasing player statistics such as strength, luck or endurance.[8] Along with souls, players can also retrieve items such as weaponry and ore for upgrading. When a player is first killed in combat during a level, they are sent to the beginning of the level once with all non-boss enemies re-spawned, with the player returning in a soul form with lower maximum health and loss of all unused souls.[9] If the player manages to return to where they were last killed, they regain the lost souls, but if they are killed before then, the souls are lost permanently. Upon defeating a boss, player can re-spawn where it was, further into the level than before its defeat. When not engaged in levels, players reside in the Nexus, a realm of souls that acts as a hub where players can exchange souls, store items and move between regions, along with major developments in the story. After completing the initial portion of the first region, player can choose to progress through any other of the newly available regions.

Gameplay can change depending on both the World and Character tendency, which can be either white or black. Tendency depends on the actions of the player such as helping or killing NPCs. When white, enemies are easier, yet the soul and items rewards are less, yet when black, enemies are stronger and give greater rewards. Players can manipulate their tendency to suit their current needs. Character tendency affects the player throughout, while World only affects the region where an action was taken.

When connected to the PlayStation Network, online play is integrated into the single-player experience. Throughout levels, players can briefly see the actions of other players as ghosts in the same area that may show hidden passages or switches. When a player dies, a bloodstain can be left in other player’s game world that when activated can show a ghost playing out their moments, indicating how that person died, potentially helping the player avoid the same fate in advance. Players can also leave messages on the floor that can also help others such as forewarning safe or hostile positions, trap locations and tactics against enemies or bosses, among general comments.

When playing with other players, co-operative play allows up to three characters team up in the host’s game world where visiting players appear in soul form that can only be returned to their bodies when a boss is defeated. In competitive play, players can invade a player’s adventure as a Black Phantom to engage in combat with the host player. If the Black Phantom kills the host, they can be returned to their body in their own game whereas if killed themselves, the host gains a portion of the Black Phantom’s souls

All that said; this game is hard. You will die over and over and over again. You will have to start from the beginning each time you die and you will have to kill all the demons again and again and again and again...

You will hate the game at times and think about never playing it again. You will lose all your souls when you die and if you die again trying to make it back to your corpse to reclaim your lost souls you will lose them all forever. You'll spend much time being frustrated and consumed with anger and then on that 75th time through the same fucking dungeon; you will complete it and feel a sense of accomplishment that few games have ever provided before. Very few games by today's standards. This game is hard like the old school games of 20 years ago.

Death is a double edged sword. On one side you lose your mortal body and take spirit form (losing half of your health permanently - until gaining back your mortal body) and on the other side you lose all the souls you've worked so hard to collect. these souls are literally used for everything. From upgrading your stats (vitality, dexterity, faith, magic, strength, luck, endurance, intelligence etc) to repairing your weapons and armor, purchasing items, upgrading weapons, buying weapons and armor and whatever else there is in the game.

When you get several thousand souls collected and part of you wants to head back to the Nexus to trade them in for valuable supplies, repairs and stat increases (knowing full well that if you return to the Nexus you will have to completely restart the current world) and the other part of you wants to push forward just a bit longer and collect some more souls...maybe see what beast lies around the next corner; it can be a huge decision on your part...one that you might grow to regret. Here is one example:

I had on me around 3800+ souls and I needed to upgrade some stats but I decided to push forward just a bit longer. I came across this very long and narrow walkway on top of a castle wall that connected two large buildings. I noticed a message on the ground which read: 'Safe ahead'. I started walking out and about half way between the two builds I heard the sound of powerful wings beating through the air and when I looked to see what it was I was treated to a view of the most massive Dragon ever! It came down of me with a fury and though I ran I could not escape his fire. I died. (I'd like to note that the player that wrote that note stating this was a safe area should be facking killed that bastard!) Now not only did I lose my 3800+ souls but I was in mortal form at the time. So now I'm left in spirit form, half my health gone permanently while in spirit mode and when I worked my way back to where I was killed that same dragon was now moving up and down the wall spraying fire and tearing chunks of rock out of the ground. I could not make it to my corpse with only half the health of my mortal body...I had to try though. I of course failed. My character just not strong enough to withstand the Dragons fury. In my Mortal form with full health I can withstand one hit from the dragon but not in spirit form and so i died; losing not only the 3800+ souls connected to my corpse but also the 500+ souls I had taken while getting back to my corpse. I walked away with nothing. That is what makes this game so frustrating....and fun. Knowing how much can be lost at any given time. It makes you actually care about staying alive.

I can honestly say that my first 10 hours of this game I was pissed. I was yelling at the TV, swearing that I would return this game for a refund because it JUST WASN'T FAIR!!! I came within and inch of returning this facking game but then something happened; I made it past that one Major demon that's been kicking my ass for the last 3 hours and I felt a satisfaction that I don't think I ever felt before while playing a game. next thing I knew I was pushing on past that Demon and even though I died 20 more times I never had that much of a problem with that Demon again and eventually made it to the final boss. That Boss fight took me about 30 minutes and in the end I stood proud for one of the first times in my gaming history. I walked in the house, told my Wife all about it (who I'm sure ignored me the entire time. and then back to the game and loaded up the next world...where I immediately got my ass handed to me and realized that I might be better off just running the first world over and over to grind souls and build up my stats.

Oh and by the way...you can't pause this game...ever. You can't reload a saved file because you do not have access to saves. The game auto saves so often that you can never go back. You can only load your profile when you boot up the game; once loaded anything that happens while playing is saved and you have no choice but to live with the consequences.

This game is hard. But I have grown to love it. And it also has one of the most original multiplayer systems ever placed in a game. I have around 20 hours into the game so far and I'm a lowly L18 still with starter equipment. I think this game will easily go 80-100 hours for completion. More depending on how good or bad I play.

These screenshots do not do the game justice but they will give you an idea of what it looks like.

...and a link to my post: http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66944

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
I have the game and its a love hate relationship. Here is a post I made at another forum about this game:

...and a link to my post: http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66944

Great mini review. I prefer to read what a real person has to say about a game, rather then some douche thats paid to say "its great, buy it!"

I really need to pick up this game now :D

I miss the old hardcore gaming days where you didnt have respawn points or infinate lives etc.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
i love the game its challanging but after i found a weapon i enjoyed things picked up.

only thing ill tell you is to play this game on a 720p tv seriously on my t260 it looks like SHIT because 720p plastered onto 1200p screen just makes it look jaggy as hell yet on a 720p screen jaggies are minimal makes me wish i had a 720p tv for this game just so its more enjoyable

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Those hating the game because they keep dying need to realize that dieing is part of the Game Play. Your Suppose to die a lot if your not something is wrong. I loved this game and played it for 3 Days Straight stopping only cause I beat it. For such a hard game its actually really short and the final boss is actually really really easy.

If you want to get weapons right or need help killing something just use wikis you can find all over the place on the internet. The game makes it seem likes its suppose to be real challenging but in reality its not, but thats why I liked the game for making it seem seemingly difficult.

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
I really love this game but i have a slight problem with it. Its actually a really short game, about ~8 hours if that but during your first play through it can be like 4 times that depending on how long it takes you to adjust to the game. But honestly, is one of the best games ive played on ps3 :toast:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
It truly is a fantastic game.

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP

dinjo_jo

finally got the game today does any one know which class should i choose

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
first time players should try temple knight with a winged spear u can hide behind a shield and poke things + you start with healing magic and the 2nd best physical def armor in the game

knight and Temple Knight are basically the easiest classes to adapt to and play