• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Der8auer: Only Small Percentage of 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs Hit Their Advertised Speeds

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Now you are being just silly, obviously in this case the "up to" speed can and has been reached by multiple CPU's of the type.
Nothing to do with that honestly kinda childish scenario you are conjuring up.

The fact is that is just down to cooling, if you have enough cooling you can reach the needed speeds (even if some manual tweaking might be involved).
Its what Steve from GN has been saying for a while now, OCing is seemingly dying, the modern processor will push itself as far as your cooling (and stable voltages) will allow.

If Nvidia put on the box of the GTX970 "up to 4gb of Vram" they might have been in the clear on that one, because im pretty sure everyone would look at that and think hmmm bit of a gamble and then make the choice to buy or not.
But that's EXACTLY the point, it's NOT just down to cooling. My CPU couldn't go 1MHz past 4,400.25MHz at one point, along comes a new UEFI and now it boosts to 4,525.25MHz on multiple cores. So in other words, people not hitting advertised boost, is NOT related to cooling alone. Don't try to simplify this issue, as it's really a lot more complex than that.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Most of us will be waiting with bated breath. :)

It's not like that is unexpected... :p Today, my 1950X is fantastic. It took a while before it got there. A long while. I'm sure you saw that many boards early had the usual USB problems, even. Like it's all been way too familiar. So familiar that I kind of feel all warm and fuzzy inside, YKWIM? LOL.

But that's EXACTLY the point, it's NOT just down to cooling. My CPU couldn't go 1MHz past 4,400.25MHz at one point, along comes a new UEFI and now it boosts to 4,525.25MHz on multiple cores. So in other words, people not hitting advertised boost, is NOT related to cooling alone. Don't try to simplify this issue, as it's really a lot more complex than that.

Extremely more complex. This has been largely understated by the media for this launch, how complex this CPUs power handling really is.

That's AMD's fault for not emphasizing that aspect of these chips enough to the media.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

CPU´s FIT dude. It s a small and hidden feature in Ryzen CPU´s that only The Stilth has shined some documentation on. With a new UEFI it proberly losened up some smalls things on where the FIT´s absolute values are a bit more widened. I wish AMD published a bit more on the workings of the FIT so the masses would finally come to an understanding on how the boost algorithm works.

Things that derbauer does not documentate about. And creates a hope FUD by spreading bullshit really.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just as an aside, I notice that with HWiNFO, there is a lag in readings when I apply a load. I’m not sure what the polling interval is, but it’s clear that it doesn’t capture the CPU state for every clock cycle. This is still why I would like to see what AMD says. I think there is silicon lottery, but there may also be very brief (millisecond) boost instances. I know mobile SOCs employ this strategy considerably, in order to stay within power and cooling budgets.

This is correct, BUT it's unlikely that you're going to miss the boost every single time if you run it for hours on end, especially as the boost can happen on any core. If you run it for a minute and call it a day, well, then you didn't really care.

This has been running for a few hours and at least three of my cores are 25MHz over advertised boosts, with an additional two hitting advertised boost clocks.
Every single core now boosts over 4,400MHz with some margin.

This is as bad as bulldozer core count fiasco.for some reason AMD is getting away with murder and people turn a blind eye when it comes to them.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
So, as I've said earlier... I've used at least 6 boards (more now I think, lol) with multiple bios and agesa's. Nada. They've been out for almost 3 months.. maybe this will all end with another update...sure. But it hasnt yet. ;)

I think you've been too busy testing stuff, it's five days to go until it's been two months since launch ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
This is as bad as bulldozer core count fiasco.for some reason AMD is getting away with murder and people turn a blind eye when it comes to them.
is that AMD's fault, or the media's?

I seen Microsoft, with that specific issue, treat AMD's Bulldozer CPU far differently than the rest of the world...

After being part of that media for pretty much a decade and now having left it, I can't really say that looking back that there was any real problems and more so misunderstandings. Its pretty common in this industry and some companies do take advantage of that fact more than others for sure, but they all do it.

This is correct, BUT it's unlikely that you're going to miss the boost every single time if you run it for hours on end, especially as the boost can happen on any core. If you run it for a minute and call it a day, well, then you didn't really care.

This has been running for a few hours and at least three of my cores are 25MHz over advertised boosts, with an additional two hitting advertised boost clocks.
Every single core now boosts over 4,400MHz with some margin.

And beyond 60 degrees thermals, you should be feeling lucky then having a piece of silicon that is able to sustain those clocks (and beyond).

FIT ensures that the cpu simply does´nt boost beyond oblivion, i.e a unstable condition or pulling too much current through the silicon. If it would you would be degrading your CPU really fast. With a new AGESA update they proberly extended the XFR values which made your CPU boost a bit further compared to the previous AGESA. Congrats, AMD deliveres more then you wanted now.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

yeah, you can see from the amount of comments and the video Der8auer made they are just getting away with it and people turning a blind eye!
Dont you just get tired of yourself sometimes?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think AMD needs 4-6 months before they can suss out all the little niggles I see. I mean... do we even have odd CAS numbers working yet? ;)

So like, this is a real problem, there can be no doubt. I don't see it as that big of a problem (as is usual for me and this stuff), but it is something that consumers should be made aware of in a better way. I'm not sure that this is the correct approach, as we have to filter out the mail carrier's bias as always.

Lisa Su said that'd get better, and that's the one area that I think AMD could really improve upon. but there's too many large egos in the media that get in the way of that ever being an easy task. AMD jsut doesn't use what most consider as traditional avenues to reach their end users because of this, for example. How do you fix that? You just can't.

Apparently some people do. Posted this elsewhere earlier today.
Not sure what kind of black magic Monstru is pulling, as those Kingston sticks can run CAS 17 and CAS 19 on his setup.

To be honest, I think most people would be ok with it, as long as it wasn't for the deafening silence from AMD on this issue. They simply say that they're aware of the issue and they're working on it. Not even a peep in terms of why it might be happening.

Well, in my case, it has gotten better, as all my parts are now running at better than spec, so although I was having a lot of issues to start with, it took about a month and a half or so to get everything working properly. Sadly, not everyone else has been as lucky. And yeah, I think AMD needs to post on their site about this, rather than hanging out on reddit...

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
I think It's better AMD adds Minimum boost clock, Problem solves.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
And the default value on mine was a staggering 2000ms, good luck keeping a CPU under the right conditions for single core boost clock to work for two seconds.

So please explain my readings in the post above, HWinfo is sett to 2000ms in my case as well...

Last edited:

Nkd

I am not going to lose my shit over 25mhz that can easily be optimized by bios update. In the meantime my cpu smokes everything out there in the 500 range. So no I am not losing my shit over it. I got more things to worry about in life.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
CPU´s FIT dude. It s a small and hidden feature in Ryzen CPU´s that only The Stilth has shined some documentation on. With a new UEFI it proberly losened up some smalls things on where the FIT´s absolute values are a bit more widened. I wish AMD published a bit more on the workings of the FIT so the masses would finally come to an understanding on how the boost algorithm works.

Things that derbauer does not documentate about. And creates a hope FUD by spreading bullshit really.
Link? As it's impossible to search any of the things you reference.

Far from it, as this is most likely going to be something that can be fixed with a simple UEFI update, as has already happened in my case.
Don't try to make this out to be something it isn't.

Nkd

I think It's better AMD adds Minimum boost clock, Problem solves.

That is not how AMD boost works. Their boost algorithm has always worked with cooling and temp in mind. Next thing you someone will be bitching using a low profile cooler in a sff case.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Splitting hair over 100MHz.... WTH people?

Link? As it's impossible to search any of the things you reference.

The stilth has done some threads here and there about going in depth on the Ryzen 1 and 2 series. In the 2 series he is mentioning the FIT which is responsible for the silicon health in general. Now this FIT simply controls the maximum current a core or cores can use, without frying the chip from inside out while being in boost state. It also controls the voltage thats being supplied to a single core workload or a all core workload (hence why the variance in the two when going full load). It also prevent the CPU from consuming too much current which leads to degeneration of the CPU. At last it dictates the current boost state in combination with thermals and VRM threshold.

So if people are not having their advertised maximum boost states, even when tweaking such as undervolt or cooling, then its pretty much the FIT preventing the CPU core or cores to run into oblivion by going unstable or so. When i initially bought my Ryzen 2700x, i had to take a few months to learn about the tech behind it. Its not so simply as putting up a multiplier and call it a day. Or its not so simple to rev up the base clock while running into lowered latency dividers once you go beyond 104Mhz or so.

This is a new platform and this platform comes with alot of nice features, but also difficult features to understand. If you ask me what would be better to play with, XFR or manual OC? Then i would answer that investing in good cooling (i.e 240mm / 360mm rad) and some tweaking such as undervolting, and call it a day. Overclocking these days is´nt so sophisticated as it was before. Slap on a big cooler and let technology such as XFR do its thing.

If you wonder who the stilth is, he´s mentioned in every populair Asus board under tweaking settings. Its someone who knows more then Derbauer does related to AMD tech.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
That is not how AMD boost works. Their boost algorithm has always worked with cooling and temp in mind. Next thing you someone will be bitching using a low profile cooler in a sff case.
I think you misunderstood what he meant. The idea is what AMD should've put something like the boost speed that they knew all their CPUs in a certain SKU could reach, not just some of them.

The stilth has done some threads here and there about going in depth on the Ryzen 1 and 2 series. In the 2 series he is mentioning the FIT which is responsible for the silicon health in general. Now this FIT simply controls the maximum current a core or cores can use, without frying the chip from inside out while being in boost state. It also controls the voltage thats being supplied to a single core workload or a all core workload (hence why the variance in the two when going full load). It also prevent the CPU from consuming too much current which leads to degeneration of the CPU. At last it dictates the current boost state in combination with thermals and VRM threshold.

So if people are not having their advertised maximum boost states, even when tweaking such as undervolt or cooling, then its pretty much the FIT preventing the CPU core or cores to run into oblivion by going unstable or so.

If you wonder who the stilth is, he´s mentioned in every populair Asus board under tweaking settings. Its someone who knows more then Derbauer does related to AMD tech.
So please provide a link or two then...
I have a 280mm liquid cooler. I have not touched any of the overclocking features and never asked about this.

Splitting hair over 100MHz.... WTH people?
It's more about how AMD marketed things than anything else. It's actually a bit like the storage companies counting in even 1,000's per byte, but operating systems doing 1,024 to a byte. It starts small and soon everyone is trying to get away with it. At least storage devices have disclaimers these days, AMD didn't have one and still doesn't. On top of that, they went and posted a video, claiming that under the right circumstances, with the right cooling and motherboard VRM, you can expect your shiny new (yet to be launched) Ryzen 3000 CPU to boost even higher, which so far it seems almost no-one has managed.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
So please explain my readings in the post above, HWinfo is sett to 2000ms in my case as well...

I already said how HWinfo wouldn't report that my 1700X is running at it's boost clocks even though the benchmarks confirmed it was in fact running at those speeds. So I have experienced readings that didn't reflect reality. It would be perhaps more relevant for everyone to just run some single thread CPU tests, see the results and watch if they always match with what the readings say.

What's more important, performance or a pretty number ?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I already said how HWinfo wouldn't report that my 1700X is running at it's boost clocks even though the benchmarks confirmed it was in fact running at those speeds. So I have experienced readings that didn't reflect reality. It would be perhaps more relevant for everyone to just run some single thread CPU tests, see the results and watch if they always match what the readings say.

Wow, you've clearly followed all the other threads in the forums on this topic very closely... :banghead:

Just please don't comment any more on this topic, as you clearly have no hands on experience or understanding of the issues people are facing with the Ryzen 3000.

So please provide a link or two then...
I have a 280mm liquid cooler. I have not touched any of the overclocking features and never asked about this.

I posted in this thread before, the behaviour of my boosting 2700x, that once it passes the 60 degrees mark, i increased my cooling capacity, slightly undervolted a bit, was enough to have it running at 4.2GHz all core.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Wow, you've clearly followed all the other threads in the forums on this topic very closely... :banghead:

Just please don't comment any more on this topic, as you clearly have no hands on experience or understanding of the issues people are facing with the Ryzen 3000.

I follow what's on this thread and I'll comment whenever I like, thanks.

Software readings are unreliable, in addition to that making random polls is as useful as asking people what's the size of their johnson.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I follow what's on this thread and I'll comment whenever I like, thanks.

Software readings are unreliable, in addition to that making random polls are as useful as asking people what's the size of their johnson.

Is making ill informed comments that adds nothing to a topic something you enjoy doing? Then please be my guest. Let me just add you to my ignore list so I don't have to waste my time reading them.

I posted in this thread before, the behaviour of my boosting 2700x, that once it passes the 60 degrees mark, i increased my cooling capacity, slightly undervolted a bit, was enough to have it running at 4.2GHz all core.
That's not a Ryzen 3000-series CPU though, right?

And I would still like a link to this AMD CPU magician of yours.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
is that AMD's fault, or the media's?

I seen Microsoft, with that specific issue, treat AMD's Bulldozer CPU far differently than the rest of the world...

After being part of that media for pretty much a decade and now having left it, I can't really say that looking back that there was any real problems and more so misunderstandings. Its pretty common in this industry and some companies do take advantage of that fact more than others for sure, but they all do it.

welcome back to the real world dave, can't wait to read your insight onto things in the future now you're out from under that weight :)

on topic

title is misleading when the % is really down to the chip/mobo combo. really seems like some mobo have polished bois while others are still quite immature.

it will be xmas before amd and the mobo makers finally get their shit together. this is like another totally new platform for them with these new features.