• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Desk Case Build

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
In preparation for my new build when Zen 2 launches, I have finally decided to build my desk case - something similar to the Lian Li DK-03. Although much more ghetto for the prototype.

I think I am going to use this desk as the foundation:

I haven't really decided if I am going to do a slide out tray or just a lift off panel. I have an old NZXT case that I am going to use for donor parts such as the expansion card brackets and mb tray. I lucked out in that it is all riveted together so cutting will minimal.

Anyone else have a go at this before?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Scythe Ninja 5
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) (F4-3600C16D-16GVKC) @ 3733 MHz 16-19-19-19-36-56
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2060 Super Armor OC 8GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 EVO 500GB / 3x Crucial MX500 / 4 HDDs
Display(s) Dell 23" LCD S2316M
Case Rosewill Rise Glow
Power Supply CORSAIR RM650
Mouse Cooler Master MS120
Keyboard Cooler Master MS120
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I just watched the Lian Li DK-03 video and that is a very cool concept.
http://www.lian-li.com/dk-03/
I have never done anything like this BUT I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with and how you accomplish it.

Please keep us informed as you progress and post a LOT of pics. :D

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I just watched the Lian Li DK-03 video and that is a very cool concept.
http://www.lian-li.com/dk-03/
I have never done anything like this BUT I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with and how you accomplish it.

Please keep us informed as you progress and post a LOT of pics. :D

Yeah, this is going to be pretty slow going. I'm not exactly thrilled with the desks that I am finding so I am cruising Craigslist to see what might be available. I am actually considering building my own frame as well but the donor desk will really expedite the process.

The donor case that I will be stealing the tray from is an NZXT Source 210.

EDIT:

I think I might actually change direction and use something like this instead. I could build the shelf into the top left opening. Then I could route the top so I could inlay a piece of glass. After that is all done, I would likely move my itx server in the top right drawer and route the top of that for a glass piece.

Last edited:
If I was doing that ... I would use a test bed case. You would have to add a fan rack ( 140mm x 6) to the back up below the desktop and add in a more rigid shelf for the glass and perforate the heck out of it to let filtered air in.

https://www.frozencpu.com/products/...TX_Motherboard_Test_Bed_-_Black_PC-D555X.html
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=primochi...=c&hvqmt=e&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_4mkz51fh6b_e

Other thing is ... where do ya legs go ?.... if you top it with a wooden surface extending 2-3 feet would work.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I would use a test bed case.

I thought about that. But my old case is free.

Other thing is ... where do ya legs go ?.... if you top it with a wooden surface extending 2-3 feet would work.

?

EDIT: NM, I see. If I went with option number two it obviously wouldn't be desk. The more I thought about the more I thought about not wanting my system which is becoming increasingly difficult not to have embedded LEDs everywhere (not to mention the LC setup) and I don't really want that directly in front of my face and directly below my monitor.