• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Desperately need help

Raffmanlt

This is my first mining rig build and it has gone horribly wrong! Are psu's that sensitive? 3 different power supplies seem to have gone out but it also seems like it ruined other components. 1st time CPU and motherboard and 1 graphics card and psu. 2nd round with all new components and was working fine with 1 rtx 2060, and 1 rtx 3060 ti. So shut down and added 2 more 3060's and it would not even go into post. I removed the additional cards, same thing, removed all but one card same thing. If pull all cards out and use video off motherboard it runs fine. I swapped different risers, different power cords, nothing. The 2nd psu was another 850 watt one. 2nd time it would not do anything, just makes a click noise. So I swapped a new power supply which seems ok but seems all video cards are ruined. These were expensive, please help

Few things to consider:

It's possible for modular cables to be incompatible with other PSUs, even the same brand of PSU, so always replace cables if you swap PSUs.
Distribute load on the GPU cables if you can, a lot of cables just split 1 connector into 2.
Be aware that the max power for many graphics cards is far in excess of what a mining load uses, I assume you had tuned and power limited them?
Risers are not made equal, SATA is generally considered bad (prone to power issues, or worse), molex better, PCI-E best.
If protections triggered on the PSU or motherboard, try disconnecting all cables and draining all power from the system for an extended period (e.g. 20 minutes).
I assume you didn't smell and can't see any burning?

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Sounds like you may have broke off an SMD component! You need to be extra-gentle with video cards! (or fractured a solder joint, especially if it sometimes boots and other times, it don't boot!)

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Use only quality high power PSUs for mining.
If it works fine with 2GPUs and you add 2 more and it fails to boot you will have exceeded the capacity of the PSU and self protection will kick in and stop it from working.
What PSUs were you attempting to use?

Raffmanlt

Thanks for answering . I had cards voltage limited by afterburner, so was thinking they were limited to 125, but they were drawing 200 each but that's still less than 850 but understand psu going out seems to have taken out pcie on motherboard also. Since then I tried cards on new motherboard one at a time and they all worked . Had it working again on 1 card. Add only 1 more card it won't even power on self test. Again remove what I added still won't post. All motherboard s are same model maybe that's the problem
What risers would you recommend? Also I haD 3 different brands of psu. Evga, corsair and I forget the other one.

Is there a brand of psu you recommend

Heavy duty, server grade modified PSUs if you can find. Branded HP, DELL, Delta, etc with custom cabling, customized for mining.

Raffmanlt

Oh that's the other thing there has been no smoke or hot components

Update: so couldn't get board to post even after everything disconnected . Had 1 more motherboard, it does post until hook power to graphics card then nothing. Tried more than one card same results. I tested 24 pin connector and it had voltage it was supposed to but continued with same behavior. At first I thought one card was doing it but didn't hook it up this time. I'm so confused...

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Are you using the GPU power cables that came with the PSUs?
Swapping between brands can cause damage due to different pinouts.

Raffmanlt

That maybe part of the problem. Thinking they were the same I didn't keep them separated. One or two hook differently so can't use wrong one but is possible on the other ones. Crap... thanks for the info

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
I second #6, if you're working with more than 3 or 4 cards it's time to go for server grade units and decent wiring, it's not like you're building a rig for the looks when it comes to mining...