• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Details on Nvidia PhysX - please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobzilla2009

System Name Bobzilla the second
Processor AMD Phenom II 940
Motherboard Asus M3A76-CM
Cooling 3*120mm case fans
Memory 4GB 1066GHz DDR2 Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD5870 1GB
Storage Seagate 7200RPM 500GB
Display(s) samsung T220HD
Case Guardian 921
Power Supply OCZ MODXSTREAM Pro 700w (2*25A 12v rail)
Software Windows 7 Beta
Benchmark Scores 19753 3dmark06 15826 3dmark vantage 38.4Fps crysis benchmarking tool (1680x1050, 4xAA)
Sorry, but PhsyX is free to develope for any platform. It is used in all three current consoles, without charge. They know this is the only way it would be used, it had to run on ATi hardware to be sucessful, otherwise developers wouldn't use it. ATi of course knew that also, which is why they didn't allow it.

physX ran on a cpu is free to develop. The gpu version is locked to nvidia. Also, nvidia would gimp ati performance to gain an unfair lead in performance. AMD would rather wait for an open standard to arrive, as should all gamers. No one company should have any direct power over another ability to perform well (i'm looking at you The way it's meant to be paid off).

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
physX ran on a cpu is free to develop. The gpu version is locked to nvidia. Also, nvidia would gimp ati performance to gain an unfair lead in performance. AMD would rather wait for an open standard to arrive, as should all gamers. No one company should have any direct power over another ability to perform well (i'm looking at you The way it's meant to be paid off).

It is free for GPU or CPU. And I already addressed the issue of nVidia "gimping" performance, it simply isn't possible.

And TWIMTBP doesn't hinder ATi performance, it just improves nVidia's performance.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It is free for GPU or CPU. And I already addressed the issue of nVidia "gimping" performance, it simply isn't possible.

And TWIMTBP doesn't hinder ATi performance, it just improves nVidia's performance.

I still haven't seen PhysX being run on any other GPU than Nvidia or an Ageia PPU. I haven't seen any "hacks" to run PhysX on any other GPU. Are you sure this is fact that PhysX is open to run on any GPU? Is it purely software to make it work or does there need to be some archetectural things in place for it to work? Why hasn't anyone from the "modding" community gotten PhysX to work on a non-Nvidia GPU? Does PhysX need to be run on a GPU? From what I've seen PhysX isn't coded well enough to use a CPU properly, but it does a great job on Nvidia GPU's.. sometimes. With the way things are currently, it certainly seems as if PhysX isn't open at all.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
I still haven't seen PhysX being run on any other GPU than Nvidia or an Ageia PPU. I haven't seen any "hacks" to run PhysX on any other GPU. Are you sure this is fact that PhysX is open to run on any GPU? Is it purely software to make it work or does there need to be some archetectural things in place for it to work? Why hasn't anyone from the "modding" community gotten PhysX to work on a non-Nvidia GPU? Does PhysX need to be run on a GPU? From what I've seen PhysX isn't coded well enough to use a CPU properly, but it does a great job on Nvidia GPU's.. sometimes. With the way things are currently, it certainly seems as if PhysX isn't open at all.

I've been wondering about the software side too, back when Aegia were making it games used to install the Aegia drivers, and that got updated by newer games also using PhysX, however since its been Nvidia i havent seen anything add in a PhysX driver on my Ati rig (and wouldnt on my Nvidia one anyway, its inside forceware)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

It was running wonderfully on the HD3800 series. The ATi drivers needed to be modified to get it running, apparently they modifications were rather minor and easy. However, the biggest hurdle was that the drivers would only work in Test Mode, ATi had to officially add support for CUDA to allow it to work in normal mode in Windows. The hack was posted on ngohq. Then nVidia offered the hacker, Eran Badit editor-in-chief of ngohq.com, a spot on their developement team. The issue then came down not to adding support for ATi into the PhysX engine, but adding support for CUDA into ATi's drivers. That is where it ended, ATi never allowed CUDA support for the drivers, and Erin gave up trying it seems. ATi had to do very little to get it working, and there wouldn't really be any shady stuff since developement was actually being done by a 3rd party, someone how originally though he was defying nVidia when he made his hack...

If you really want to lean who was responsible for ATi not having PhysX, this is an interesting article, it certainly wasn't nVidia's fault that PhysX doesn't run on ATi hardware, nVidia tried...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It was running wonderfully on the HD3800 series. The ATi drivers needed to be modified to get it running, apparently they modifications were rather minor and easy. However, the biggest hurdle was that the drivers would only work in Test Mode, ATi had to officially add support for CUDA to allow it to work in normal mode in Windows. The hack was posted on ngohq. Then nVidia offered the hacker, Eran Badit editor-in-chief of ngohq.com, a spot on their developement team. The issue then came down not to adding support for ATi into the PhysX engine, but adding support for CUDA into ATi's drivers. That is where it ended, ATi never allowed CUDA support for the drivers, and Erin gave up trying it seems. ATi had to do very little to get it working, and there wouldn't really be any shady stuff since developement was actually being done by a 3rd party, someone how originally though he was defying nVidia when he made his hack...

If you really want to lean who was responsible for ATi not having PhysX, this is an interesting article, it certainly wasn't nVidia's fault that PhysX doesn't run on ATi hardware, nVidia tried...

Now I remember the NGHQ thing. I mean really, if CUDA is free and takes minimal effort to implement, why not make CUDA the open solution since it works! PhysX aside, CUDA is more mature than ATi Stream which is still in beta and still has very limited support. It seems to be a pride issue, thing is if CUDA was being used as an open standard nobody would even care who came up with it. ATi also may have contractual obligations to use things such as Havok and whatever else there is, but that isn't anything we could or would know about.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
You guys should really check out http://www.gamephys.com/category/game-physics/ for some real physics and physx action.

Another site that has the updated list of physx and hardware physx games http://physxinfo.com/

you fail to understand the difference of CPU physx and GPU physx

19 games support the PPU 26 supported with GPU total including games indevelopment

total games that use physx 247

so out of 247 games 19 support the ppu and 26 support the GPU

out of those games 3 on the PPU dont even NEED it to run with all those physx calculations ie cloth tearing etc from cellfactor was easily done a cpu and was just as fast

of those games for the GPU out of 26 total only 15 are released of the 15 released

only 1 makes heavy use of it Cryostasis and since 3 gtx 280s cant even maintain 60 fps at 1600x1200 means epic fail.

and Batman AA is a perfect example of ignorance Nvidia gets AA in game with a few extra particles and some extra effects ATi users get no AA in game but at the end of the day u get extra gimmicks and 30% of your target audience gets shafted.

software physx is whats used 90% of the time out of 26 games indevelopment for PC only 15 are released and only 1 must have physx to be playable properly.

so tell me how many out there who play PC games are gonna buy an Nvidia gpu then buy another just for physx when only 26 games over the course of almost 5 years support it?

wake up and smell the green tinted roses physx is a nice gimmick nothing more i fell for it once but never again (i had an ageia PPU the first day of release.)

what i want to see is how Tessellation + Physx work after all Nvidias tessellation uses the shaders so as those get eaten up for tessellation and more is used for textures rendering etc how much more of a frame rate hit are we gonna see from Physx on a gpu.. ppl need to stop sniffing the green glue and look around i have yet to see a KILLER title that makes me want to waste money on gpu physx most of the games seem to be shooters and im to damn busy trying NOT to die to worry about a few particles that ill only see for a split second. wake me up when physx matters and isnt just marketing bullcrap

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Now I remember the NGHQ thing. I mean really, if CUDA is free and takes minimal effort to implement, why not make CUDA the open solution since it works! PhysX aside, CUDA is more mature than ATi Stream which is still in beta and still has very limited support. It seems to be a pride issue, thing is if CUDA was being used as an open standard nobody would even care who came up with it. ATi also may have contractual obligations to use things such as Havok and whatever else there is, but that isn't anything we could or would know about.

It is all politics my friend, all politics...:shadedshu

Processor Core i7 4710K
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Water
Memory Gelid 16GB
Video Card(s) HD5870, stock at the moment
Storage Kingston HyperX 256GB
Case Cosmos S
Power Supply BeQuiet Dark Power 750
Software Win7 x64
It is all politics my friend, all politics...:shadedshu

And business. I believe that folks at AMD are reluctant to support a proprietary standard, as it's a risk from business perspective. If CUDA gained dominant position, nVidia could suddenly change their minds and start charging AMD (or any other company) licence fees. AMD would be with their backs against the wall, as they would HAVE to support it to stay in the game.

EDIT: And it would be developed only by nVidia, which means it would never be optimised for another architecture. They would be in position to do almost anything performance wise.

So it's not that you can say they tried, as it's something that anyone sane would reject (the PhysX - CUDA deal combo)...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
MS probably doesnt like what NV is doing either.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
And business. I believe that folks at AMD are reluctant to support a proprietary standard, as it's a risk from business perspective. If CUDA gained dominant position, nVidia could suddenly change their minds and start charging AMD (or any other company) licence fees. AMD would be with their backs against the wall, as they would HAVE to support it to stay in the game.

EDIT: And it would be developed only by nVidia, which means it would never be optimised for another architecture. They would be in position to do almost anything performance wise.

So it's not that you can say they tried, as it's something that anyone sane would reject (the PhysX - CUDA deal combo)...

Legally, at least in the US and likely the EU, nVidia could not do that. If they agree that it is free to develope in the beginning, they can't legally "change your mind" once it is popular and in use by other companies. The trade courts would rip nVidia a new asshole bigger than the one they ripped Microsoft.:laugh:

As for performance, the implementation was actually being done by a 3rd party, so while nVidia could optimized CUDA for their hardware, if it became popular ATi could actually do the same. PhysX itself wouldn't likely matter, as it doesn't really take a whole lot to run, but other CUDA apps such as the video conversion tools likely benefit from optimizations, this would likely be left up to ATi to do if they really wanted the optimizations.

All in all I find physx more useful than eyefinity.

Why do you keep comparing it to eyefinity? This is like the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen you do it. They aren't even similar technologies. If you are going to make comments like this, do it with something like Streams, at least that is in the same category as PhysX/CUDA.

And really, as I asking the last thread and you ignored, I'd like to know what you found it useful in. Because of the 15 current and future* games that support hardware PhysX, Batman is the only one I found PhysX actually made more enjoyable. At least eyefinity works with essentially every game... And it also seems to be a solution to a problem that some people have been wanting for years.

*Are there even any future titles that plan to use it?

Last edited:

bobzilla2009

Case Guardian 921
Software Windows 7 Beta
Benchmark Scores 19753 3dmark06 15826 3dmark vantage 38.4Fps crysis benchmarking tool (1680x1050, 4xAA)
I suppose if you have one screen, then physX is more useful :) but thats equivalent to saying you find radio better than tv overall and are blind.

$

$immond$

I suppose if you have one screen, then physX is more useful :) but thats equivalent to saying you find radio better than tv overall and are blind.

Because they are both marketing gimmicks. I honestly think Eyefinity is an eyesore if you have depth perception.

bobzilla2009

Case Guardian 921
Software Windows 7 Beta
Because they are both marketing gimmicks. I honestly think Eyefinity is an eyesore if you have depth perception.

http://www.forcatech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/AMD-Eyefinity-Graphics1.jpg

6 screens is terrible. But eyefinity definitley has a future with bezel-less panels. Plus 3 screen setups work fine as the game is not stretched across the screens like you imagine they are ( for example, that picture above is actually nothing like 3 screen eyefinity) . The 2 extra screens give you a wider FOV that is more for immersions sake than for staring at. For example in L4D your gun is on the center screen as per usual, but the two side screens show more of the environment around you. The bezels dont get in the way because you're not staring at a stretched screen. You look at a central screen but have peripheral vision on the sides.

Plus PhysX is dead, or may as well be. In the 2 years i owned an nvidia card i played 1 physX game (ME) and physX is not the reason i bought it, whereas eyefinity actually has a future (albeit in the high end niche). Also, a lot more games run with eyefinity than with physX. Both are gimmicks, but one of them is the one with some potential, whereas the other will be dead before the year is out :)

now, as you can see, the game is not stretched across the screens at all. The two screens provide extra viewing area to the game. You don't lose anything and you should still be focusing on the central screen. The image looks a bit off at the seems due to the angling of the screens themselves though :)

Still, i won't use eyefinity personally, i can't fit 3 monitors on my desk ^^ but i'm trying to clear up some of your misconceptions of how it is implemented as proven by your image.

Last edited:

bobzilla2009

Case Guardian 921
Software Windows 7 Beta
$

$immond$

I am not sure spending $250-300 per monitor is going to enhance my gaming experience over 42" widescreen costing $700.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

Yes, and without it, you just get to see half a jeep, certainly better...

And you have yet to answer the simple question that I've asking in both this and the other thread. In what exactly did you find PhysX more useful?

I am not sure spending $250-300 per monitor is going to enhance my gaming experience over 42" widescreen costing $700.

Yes, because despite that 42" being bigger, the resolution is still low, so you don't actually see anything more. While eyefinity adds peripheral vision and actually increases the field of view in the game. So spending $150 per monitor actually will enhance the gaming experience, while a 42" screen won't do shit.

bobzilla2009

Case Guardian 921
Software Windows 7 Beta
Yes, and without it, you just get to see half a jeep, certainly better...

And you have yet to answer the simple question that I've asking in both this and the other thread. In what exactly did you find PhysX more useful?

In the same way OpenCL and directcompute will be much more useful at doing for everyone ^^

I find a single 22" monitor better than a 42" personally. Using a mouse and keyboard is a mega fail for the most part. So 3 19" monitors would beat a single 42" imo.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313

I've been able to run with it enabled in both Metro and Cryostasis . . . and I take one helluva FPS hit with it on.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all software side, being computed via the CPU, not the GPU.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Thanks for the thread mussels. I for one thought all games that supported Physx also supported hardware acceleration. How wrong I was. This was a real eye opener.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
lol yea 247 games only 26 use it of the 26 that do only 15 are real games of those 15 only 2-3 make use of it and of those 2-3 games only 1 actually NEEDS it for the visual quality as the others it can all be done with regular physics calculations. as i said wake me up when its nots marketing fluff oh and wasnt there a post in the news threads bout fluidmark or something making physx multi threaded and it ran better on a stock q9400 then it did a gtx 275 so tell me if thats the case how well would an i7 handle physx on 8 threads compared to nvidias precious gpus

System Name Modest Box
Processor i5-4690K @ 4.7 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z97-C
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G.Skill Ares DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) Colorful GTX 950
Storage OCZ Vertex 460A 480GB
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Gigabyte 750W Gold
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
I actually own one of those hardware accelerated games - and an Nvidia card. Yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.