• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Developers: What's your process?

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
In an effort to be BETTER, I am always on the lookout for new ideas in regards to my process when developing a site, and tools to get the job done. I don't want just web developers to reply though, as I know I can learn from coders as well. This is obviously a very rough list off the top of my head but I will elaborate as I go on.

What's your process? What tools do you use?

First:
- running linux (ubuntu).
- lamp stack on my development machine, serves for development and client previews
- languages: PHP / HTML / CSS / JS

I code in my IDE of choice, PHPStorm
- code directly to local web server root, changes live immediately.
- using PHPStorm's local vcs and git (as well as bitbucket) I have the ability to backtrack to the beginning.
- clone github projects using the integrated function when necessary.
- do the job ;)
- view changes immediately on local server, commit fixes, push milestones and upload via ftp
- I use virtual machines to test my sites in different configs, and I remote into my imac to test that
- I test in windows 7 and 8 (ie 10 & 11) chrome and firefox in windows, mac, and linux, as well as safari in mac.
- I use xcode's ios simulator to test iphone devices, and I use android x86 machines to test android

I'll add more as I think of it, but that's the meaty bits. Feel free to go into more detail.

What's your client interaction process?
do you use (a) development framework(s)?
do you use any time management techniques?
unit testing? code repositories? AWESOME RESOURCES?

share! :)

Last edited:
System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
At work:

I have partial administrative rights on 4 Windows Server 2008 R2 VMs; two dev and two production. Can install software, manage IIS 7.5, the database, etc.

Using Sublime Text, I open the fileshare on dev and edit those files directly. When it's time to push to production I use Winmege to review changes between the dev and production versions. The database is MSSQL so I use SQL Server Management Studio for database related stuff.

The user environment is IE10+, Firefox ESR, and Chrome running on Windows 7 and the latter two on MacOS so I have it pretty easy. I almost entirely use jQuery for javascript but no framework for PHP.

At home:

With Technet Subscriptions phased out I've been working a new home server which will probably run Ubuntu and MySQL. I don't freelance, so it's mostly for personal projects. Would still use Sublime Text, but there's MySQL Workbench for the database (Navicat is better, but is paid software).

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
In an effort to be BETTER, I am always on the lookout for new ideas in regards to my process when developing a site, and tools to get the job done. I don't want just web developers to reply though, as I know I can learn from coders as well. This is obviously a very rough list off the top of my head but I will elaborate as I go on.

What's your process? What tools do you use?

First:
- running linux (ubuntu).
- lamp stack on my development machine, serves for development and client previews
- languages: PHP / HTML / CSS / JS

I code in my IDE of choice, PHPStorm
- code directly to local web server root, changes live immediately.
- using PHPStorm's local vcs and git (as well as bitbucket) I have the ability to backtrack to the beginning.
- clone github projects using the integrated function when necessary.
- do the job ;)
- view changes immediately on local server, commit fixes, push milestones and upload via ftp
- I use virtual machines to test my sites in different configs, and I remote into my imac to test that
- I test in windows 7 and 8 (ie 10 & 11) chrome and firefox in windows, mac, and linux, as well as safari in mac.
- I use xcode's ios simulator to test iphone devices, and I use android x86 machines to test android

I'll add more as I think of it, but that's the meaty bits. Feel free to go into more detail.

What's your client interaction process?
do you use (a) development framework(s)?
do you use any time management techniques?
unit testing? code repositories? AWESOME RESOURCES?

share! :)
Depends on what im doing but I have a general process I go through...

Normally I program in C++, Basic, Java, and Python though I have to do SQL work from time to time at the office when it involves servers issues. But when it comes to programming I generally use a few different programs depending on what im trying to accomplish as different environments suit me more for different tasks.

I program in C++ inside of a solaris environment using a notepad and just running through the basic compilers written for me or that I have edited to the task. But that is mostly when im doing basic simple tasks as I do not need much to complete it and its easy to run a virtual solaris environment from my personal server where ever I need to be. Normally the process I go through with that is search my past work and check for code I may have already written and check to see if ti works or modify it for a new purpose. All depends on what im doing...

When im writing for fun for some personal apps/games I work on in my free time and with friends its a completely different idea. I sometimes use Visual Studio for the simplicity but mostly stick to notepad++ because it just works and is easy to see and find things. Right now im working with a group of friends from school a few years back on a 3D game using a textbook engine we wrote together (Its not that great so do not think its special, its mostly based on textbook code with some adjustments here and there) but I normally just sit down pull up the notepad and run what is working of the game through the compiler and then decide what has not been done yet or whats broken and begin coding. I sometimes pull up a video for a break when im stuck hoping that distractions will lead to inspiration or help me decipher the problem. But I normally right now because of work spend only an hour or 2 a day on this task and a little more when we are all working together.

With that last task, we use some game developer textbooks from school for alot of the information we need when thinking about the system and we work with but our time is normally spent together talking about what has been accomplished and what needs to be done next to go on from there. For instance last weekend we worked on just adding trees to the environment and they refused to be anchored properly (Caused by an issue in our cheap engine) and we spent about 2 hours discussing a way to fix this or where the issue lies because certain objects to not anchor well on sloped plains. We ended up with a simple solution of creating an addition plain below the sloped areas and working on the art to match the slope just based on placement which solved the issue at least for now depending on the object but we may end up having to go back to the engine and figuring out a better way to fix it if possible.

All relative of course to what is being worked on...I am by no means an expert and even with my degree in CS I still have alot of work to do to get better at the tasks in general.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
My process is really only three steps:
1) Solve the experimental problems.
2) Finish it (including tests/debugging).
3) Publish it (public testing/feedback).

#1 is what makes it worth doing. If there are no experimental problems, I generally don't have the motivation to even begin the project. If there's an experimental problem I don't have a solution for, I will not likely start the project. Some projects of mine were delayed for years, for example, because I didn't have a vision for the user experience (e.g. the BOINC Config Utility); likewise, I have never started some projects because my goals for it are too ambitious and there's no clear solution to meet those goals.

For me, coding is about a minute of thinking and hours of busy work. If that minute isn't really fascinating, it likely isn't worth tackling the hours.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
My process varies depending on what language I'm using and the dataset I'm working with. More often than not I need to work with a 100GB PostgreSQL database with whatever language I use at work. I have access to all of our servers, but we have two development servers. When I develop in Clojure, I need to get the project I'm working on, pull all the dependencies on it, then start a REPL before I start editing code in VIM. I use Fireplace.vim along with several other plugs to make writing a LISP in VIM as easy as possible (I dislike EMACS). Then you have your typical write code feedback loop until you're done.

The PHP code I write a little different because we have a Ruby script (which I wrote,) that basically pulls all of our PHP code repos, pulls them together, and creates a working site out of them (since most of our PHP are Moodle plugins.)

Deploying PHP code is pretty easy, but Clojure is a little different since it's a JVM language and compiles down to a jar, so a service container would be in order for any long-running Clojure service so you need to use something like Upstart or SysV-style startup scripts.

Other than that, development is pretty simple on my end. I should note that none of the development I do ever is on a GUI interface (only on a browser if I ever do). I almost exclusive develop using VIM as an editor.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Hmm let's see.. not in order and this is just website stuff?

Web Page stuff
  1. notepad
  2. notepad++
  3. Microsoft visual studio 2010

SQL
  1. MSSQL - SQL Server Management Studio

I'm probably forgetting something.... ;)

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
HOME: Win7 + lightened combination of Apache2.4+PHP+MySQL
HOME(TESTING): Ubuntu 14.04 Apache && Nginx + PHP+MySQL
WORK: FreeBSD 10 and pretty much the same thing

Back in the day I've used a russian toolkit called DenWer (same as xAMPP, only much older), but over time it became too heavy and outdated.

Coding tool of choice: Notepad++ and nano

When it comes to web design or PHP coding - I hate everything heavy and complicated.
I've used Zend Studio and Code Gear PHP when I was in high school, but those days are over. No more training wheels.

I'm still trying to teach my cousin(almost a Bachelor of Computer Science!) that the best way to learn good coding ethics is by writing everything by hand.

System Name Pukeko
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL15
Video Card(s) Asus RX 5600 XT TUF Gaming X3 OC
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB, Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) 2x ASUS TUF Gaming VG249Q
Case NZXT, H510i, Matte Black/Red, Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) TUF Gaming H3
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 550W Gold
Mouse Touchpad + Logitech MX518
Keyboard Cooler Master, CK 350, Outemu Red
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 7,42,69 and 666
Work - Eclipse & SVN, pgAdmin III, notepad++
Home - Eclipse, Visual Studio, notepad++

Usually I'm working with Java and SQL if needed, the process is as follows:

1) Understand what feature I have to do and what would be an acceptable implementation of it. If I'm not sure, ask the lead dev for some advice.
2) Do the coding, torture my local server long enough so everything seems to be working, upload to SVN
3) Wait till it hits the fan

I'm a new developer, so my process is quite simple. In the midst of trying something new - just started some PHP/MySQL with a WAMP server^^

The devs here all primarily use Macs and IntelliJ. I have tried Eclipse for a tutorial, hated it. I'm not a dev, btw. Lots of them used to use Eclipse and don't because IntelliJ is so much better apparently. I do DevOps but just switched to a Mac and find it much more useful than Windows for this, primarily because of the Terminal and the ease of being able to run Vagrant and the ChefDK and such. We use a paid version of GIT for repositories, switched from SVN and everybody seems to like the change. We do Java however.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The devs here all primarily use Macs and IntelliJ. I have tried Eclipse for a tutorial, hated it. I'm not a dev, btw. Lots of them used to use Eclipse and don't because IntelliJ is so much better apparently. I do DevOps but just switched to a Mac and find it much more useful than Windows for this, primarily because of the Terminal and the ease of being able to run Vagrant and the ChefDK and such. We use a paid version of GIT for repositories, switched from SVN and everybody seems to like the change. We do Java however.

I use a Mac for work too, but I only use it for a browser and a terminal. Everything I do in on a dev server. Even for my own projects I will use my own "server".

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Haven't done much with Java lately, but when I had Java Programming course in college and Eclipse just became popular, I choose to go with NetBeans, because it was more intuitive than Eclipse at the time (but definitely not simpler).

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I develop in C#, for web it's ASP.NET MVC, for web services its MVC WebAPI ... I do it all in Visual Studio plus single plugin (GitExtensions). All external libraries are added quickly with nuget through package manager console powershell.

For PHP web development I strongly reccomend one of the most supported Model-View-Controller frameworks, take your pick: