• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Did the dirty deed what now?

T

thraxed

Finally threw in the towel on my athlon 64 +3400 / 3650 agp setup and ordered me a i7 920 / 4870x2 setup. Should be here by thursday, the anticipation is killing me. Though the last time I touched a pentium processor was in the II era. So was looking for a heads up on what software/drivers our needed for windows. I'm planning on dual booting xp 64 and vista 64. I know my athlon cpu needed cpu drivers for xp as well as via drivers for the motherboard. Also needed xp to install the via agp hardware driver to take advantage of agp 3.0. I ordered a gigabyte ud5 motherboard, and a sapphire 4870x2 card. So will I need for xp to get the full potential of the hardware. Think vista pretty much updated, though maybe not. I've already guess i needed to install the latest bios for the motherboard, and all I could find on intel site was some processor identification software. Though I'm not sure if that installs drivers or not??

Finally threw in the towel on my athlon 64 +3400 / 3650 agp setup and ordered me a i7 920 / 4870x2 setup. Should be here by thursday, the anticipation is killing me. Though the last time I touched a pentium processor was in the II era. So was looking for a heads up on what software/drivers our needed for windows. I'm planning on dual booting xp 64 and vista 64. I know my athlon cpu needed cpu drivers for xp as well as via drivers for the motherboard. Also needed xp to install the via agp hardware driver to take advantage of agp 3.0. I ordered a gigabyte ud5 motherboard, and a sapphire 4870x2 card. So will I need for xp to get the full potential of the hardware. Think vista pretty much updated, though maybe not. I've already guess i needed to install the latest bios for the motherboard, and all I could find on intel site was some processor identification software. Though I'm not sure if that installs drivers or not??

Switching from AMD to intel isnt that much of a difference mate, so don't fret over it so much. The drivers are all provided by the OS itself as well as the parts you buy (motherboard comes with required drivers, same as graphics card, etc).

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
i just switched to intel today (my first intel cpu since 286). i used to think thought it would be hard, but it just another cpu... and mobo :)
no regrets (except mobo sucks)