1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Did the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket blow up due to sabotage?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by qubit, Oct 4, 2016.

?

Do you think sabotage caused the Falcon 9 rocket to blow up?

1. Yes

8.1%
  2. Maybe

10.8%
  3. Not sure - will wait for further investigation

27.0%
  4. Maybe not

5.4%
  5. No

43.2%
  6. Other (explain)

5.4%
  1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    There's footage of suspicious activity on a nearby roof of a competitor's building just before the explosion. No hard evidence yet and footage has not been released.

It would be pretty ugly if this sabotage were true and I suspect it is. There are enough challenges to getting into space as it is and crap like this risks lives and retards mankinds advancement into space.

www.sciencealert.com/speculation-is-building-that-the-recent-spacex-explosion-was-the-result-of-sabotage

UPDATE

Here's a tasty update: now they're arguing over who's gonna lead the investigation! Thanks for the tip @dorsetknob :)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/04/spacex_wants_control_explosion_investigation/

ANOTHER UPDATE

Looks like it was just a change of procedures which had unintended consequences, see post 32. Thanks @CAPSLOCKSTUCK for the tip. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    dorsetknob and CAPSLOCKSTUCK say thanks.
  2. CAPSLOCKSTUCK

CAPSLOCKSTUCK Spaced Out Lunar Tick

Thanks Received:
    On the day there were reports of a drone hitting the rocket.

dorsetknob and qubit say thanks.
  3. dorsetknob

dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    Was this building a book depository and near a grassy knoll

[​IMG]
    See pic 2 and 3

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. dorsetknob

dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    rtwjunkie and qubit say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Thanks Received:
    Carrying an Israeli payload probably had nothing to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2016
    qubit, Easy Rhino and dorsetknob say thanks.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the 'drone' was clearly a bird or bug closer to the camera (which clearly has a telescopic lense, and is zoomed in heavily) you CAN see the 'blob' fly past, but the way it moves makes it clear its much closer to the camera than the rocket is.

infrared, rtwjunkie and dorsetknob say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. slozomby

slozomby

Thanks Received:
    this is clearly the work of (pick 1 or more) aliens/Russian hackers/the illuminati/nascar fans.

8. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    !

Attached Files:

9. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    I hope you all are being funny. Rockets still blow up with frightening regularity, no matter what country or private entity the space agency is in. Getting an object or people into space is always a crapshoot.

Indeed, every time people successfully make it into space it should be regarded as a failed suicide attempt.

infrared, natr0n, qubit and 3 others say thanks.
  10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    A sound track for your theory

manofthem, natr0n, Athlon2K15 and 2 others say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Nosada

Nosada

Thanks Received:
    Pure sig gold!

CAPSLOCKSTUCK and rtwjunkie say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Athlon2K15

Athlon2K15 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    You realize more than half of the people here have never heard of that song or the Beastie Boys. :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Then they have never lived a real life. :p

@qubit Man, really? This seems fairly on par for you, but I fail to see the relationship with this thread and the forum's title. That was tech powered down dramatically, not powered up. :roll:

When you think the shuttles were basically foam-wrapped metal cans, it really is no wonder why they don't send people into space often, and why Mars has yet to be colonized. Musk's idea to do such things are definitely an interesting take on the matter, but you're still strapping a big huge explosive to your butt no matter which way you look at it.

MT Alex, Easy Rhino, erocker and 2 others say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Not sure what your issue with this is. :confused: You might also wanna vote in my poll to make your opinion on this incident clear. :)

EDIT: Caps, that video is amazing. The explosions just kept on coming!

CAPSLOCKSTUCK and dorsetknob say thanks.
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    There is no science present. ;) The video is cool though, albeit a bit old. It's so last month. ROFL.

Easy Rhino says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Well, it's tech, innit. :D c'mon Cad, lots of diverse sciencey / techy things are discussed in this section and I think this qualifies. The article I've based my post on is actually dated today as the foul play angle seems to be new, which is the point of my thread.

Here's this Register story of the explosion which tends to think that a sniper shot from the ULA building is highly unlikely and I agree with them. I also agree with Mussels that the thing flying across is most likely a bird which is much closer to the camera. Personally, I have no idea if it was foul play or not, but can only go by the news reports. Since SpaceX suspect it from an unaired second video discussed in the article, I'm going with a maybe in my poll.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/04/spacex_searches_for_falcon_rocket_sabotage

17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nah, you know, it's just a bit leaning on conspiracy. No one "involved" is really even interested in such "theories", even by the articles you posted yourself. So here you post "could it be?", and then post "nah, it ain't". And I don't mean you posting it directly, but the articles you linked.

So the question remains, why post about it in the first place? Trying to see who will bite?

Therein lies why I kind of see it as a problem. It's not science. It's not tech. It's a conspiracy theory.

Makes me wonder, you work for the register now, or what? ROFL.

(remember, just because I don't agree with your posting doesn't mean I'm not interested. Just not likely in the way you'd think about it, given your stance on many a subject.)

I mean ,you might as well say that SpaceX rigged it to happen so they could make an insurance claim.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Seriously Cad, I think you're just overthinking it. Look, I'm actually quite simple (cue butt of jokes lol) and what you see is what you get with me. I see an article that looks interesting (and possible sabotage of a rocket is interesting) so I post about it to share with others here. There really isn't any more to it than that. I'm certainly no conspiracy theorist.

So, in this case, SpaceX themselves say it looks suspicious and give a reason why, hence I just go with it as the most likely explanation in the absence of any other evidence, that's all. This is an ongoing situation which will hopefully be resolved one way or the other soon.

theoneandonlymrk and dorsetknob say thanks.
  19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    LoL. Seems like simple miss-direction if you ask me, and marketing. A common tactic at such levels of business. IF you actually read the articles you posted, Space-X doesn't think it was anything but an internal fault. One article does say that "three people" suggest it might have been sabotage, and gives a reason, but that's like one of my kids saying "Not me!"

[​IMG]

Then said article says "we don't buy it."

It almost seems like you bought it. ROFL.

Elon Musk is a very intelligent person. But he ain't no Iron Man. ;) People that listen to this, tend to then buy into his rhetoric, and SpaceX's vision remains intact, and they are not in question for sloppy work. Obfuscation at its best.

So, I amnswered your poll, with "other". There's my "other", ma boi @qubit

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    10 Year Member at TPU
  20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone who watched the latest star trek movie has heard it, even if they did not recognise it (and personally i dont think it fit the scene well)

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. qubit

Thanks Received:
    @cadaveca Of course I read the article and I don't see what you have a problem with here.

To paraphrase the first three paragraphs of the article, "unnamed industry sources" say there's footage showing something suspicious going on and SpaceX is keeping its cards close to its chest at the moment and not saying anything. If I was them, I'd do the same thing. You also seem to have missed my caveat in my OP, "No hard evidence yet and footage has not been released", so you're not seeing my trumpeting some supposedly definitive evidence at all. As I said before, you're reading too much into it.

Thanks for voting.

dorsetknob and CAPSLOCKSTUCK say thanks.
  22. CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Thanks Received:
    SpaceX CEO Elon Musk took to Twitter seeking ‘support and advice’ as the investigation continues, calling the event ‘the most difficult and complex failure’ the firm has ever had.

And addressing claims that a mysterious object may have hit the rocket, Musk said they ‘have not ruled that out.’

Musk also wrote on Twitter that he was 'particularly trying to understand the quieter bang sound a few seconds before the fireball goes off'

May come from rocket or something else,' he added.

Earlier this week, Musk said that finding out what went wrong is the company's 'absolute top priority'.

'We've eliminated all of the obvious possibilities for what occurred there,' he said.

Bill Ostrove, an aerospace and defense analyst at Forecast International, said SpaceX's reliability with the Falcon 9 is 93%, which is "right in the ballpark" of the industry average of 95%.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-spacex-rocket-reliability-1472754973-htmlstory.html

dorsetknob and qubit say thanks.
  23. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Look at the date of the Elon Musk Twitter posts... September 9th. Someone is spinning old news as new.

Yep. He did. Nearly a month ago. So what new info makes this news-worthy today?

Everyone misses this tidbit:

So... sabotage? Nope.

The real new news is that "members of Congress" are now questioning SpaceX's Falcon9's reliability. THAT is why its being talked about now.

Origin:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...b60514-874c-11e6-a3ef-f35afb41797f_story.html (September 30th)

So, SpaceX WAS/IS in charge of the investigation, but it is being pushed to be NOT in charge of the investigation. The Register has failed you. :p That's my problem with it all. No big deal.

MT Alex says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  24. dorsetknob

dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    Not everyone see post #4
    in case you do not wish to scroll up

rtwjunkie and cadaveca say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I thought I saw someone post it, but I missed it when I went to scroll up to quote it. :p my bad!

dorsetknob says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU