• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Did you know about the semiconductor shortage when building your new system?

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I know that the majority of users on this forum are switched on and would be up to date on the majority of information in the pc market, but I'm curious and also just wanted to tell people my story.

So back in July of this year to decided to build a system, I've been "stuck" in Thailand for the whole duration of the pandemic and not having my pc with me was starting to feel painful.

I'd kinda given up reding the news and from what i had seen there had been no mention of a chip shortage. I picked parts up during the monthly sales here none of which seemed overpriced, my plan was to buy the majority of the system then buy a gpu with the leftover cash.

Even when buying parts I hadn't noticed how bad the gpu market was but the time was finally upon me and when I started looking my heart sank.
The second hand market is strong here in Thailand but even there prices are highly inflated. I finally got my hands on a powercolor Rx 570 red dragon at the msrp of a rtx 3060, and not even from a scalper I bought it from one of the biggest pc parts retailers in the country.

I feel defeated I was proud my modest system cost so little up until that point.

Has anyone else here been hit by the shortage unknowingly?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Has anyone else here been hit by the shortage unknowingly?
I mean, sort of. In a way all of us have been. None of us expected it, and certainly none of us thought it would still be going on.

But if I bought something now I'd do so knowing I'd be paying out the nose.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I mean, sort of. In a way all of us have been. None of us expected it, and certainly none of us thought it would still be going on.

But if I bought something now I'd do so knowing I'd be paying out the nose.
That's the sad thing since I built the system I've managed to procure a Asus rtx 3070 below msrp as a good friend is one of the co-owners of a very old computer company in the UK but sadly it's sat in his home 9000km away and I'm too scared to have it shipped.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I was absolutely aware of the semiconductor shortage. In fact, I did not realistically expect to have the primary gaming system I have today.

I built a compact system in July 2020 based on a Ryzen 3700X and GeForce 2070 SUPER FE which did what I set out to accomplish: Ultra 1440p gaming. I paid the $499 MSRP for the 2070 SUPER and $180 for a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 for another computer. At the time many PC writers were saying "Now is a terrible system to build a gaming PC." THEY WERE SOOOOO WRONG. Today those GPUs are going for insane prices, especially the 4-year-old Radeon card.

I had no plans to immediately switch to Ultra 4K gaming but I decided to accumulate good parts if they were reasonably priced. When the GPU shortage hit in November 2020 I figured it would be a couple of years before I could buy a GPU at non-scalper prices. I tried in vain to queue up for 3080 FEs and 3090 FEs at BestBuy.com but never was able to finish the transaction before the inventory sold out.

I eventually scored a Ryzen 5600X at MSRP via Newegg Shuffle (which was impossible to find on the open market at the time). That was a modest increase above the 3700X but I took it anyhow. I continued to participate in the Newegg Shuffle and to my surprise a few months ago I was offered an ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 OC at the manufacturer's inflated MSRP. I bought it knowing that it would be extremely unlikely to see this opportunity for another 18+ months.

So now I had a graphics card capable of Ultra 4K gaming; I patiently waited for the Ryzen 5900X to come down to MSRP which it eventually did. I also decided to upgrade my 8-year-old 1080p/60Hz TV to an LG C1 OLED. I have not purchased a single part from a scalper or dodgy fly-by-night retailer. Everything was bought through conventional non-rapacious channels.

Today I have the fine system described in my system specs. The OLED display is awesome. Because of the custom cooling loop, the PC is nearly silent even with the GPU maxed out at ~335W. PBO is enabled but no other CPU overclocking is done. The graphics card runs at the ASUS factory OC. I can set every game to Ultra quality levels and not squander time diddling with graphics settings. When DLSS is available I set it to Quality.

I lucked out on GPU availability but even then all of my components were purchased at MSRP largely because I was patient enough to wait for reasonable prices to appear. Patience will lighten the impact on your wallet.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Patience will lighten the impact on your wallet.
This is so very true. When I wrote what I wrote, I did so under the assumption one needed a system "now." "Now" is costly. Patience will help you.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
EDIT: The post below was a reply to a now-deleted comment by another thread participant who ranted about gaming and money and bragged about how they bought and sold unwanted PC hardware with a minor profit. They also suggested how people should use their free time.

I have deliberately left this post intact as a reminder to that commenter (and others) that people have a variety of interests and not everyone's usage cases are identical, a concept that is repeatedly lost on a certain number of participants here at TPU (and elsewhere sadly).

You know that one can game and read books. And garden. And sculpt. And cook. And play music. And exercise. And participate in charitable causes.

It's not an all-or-nothing scenario.

Feel free to criticize gamers but be aware that there will be others who judge you for both your actions and non-actions.

I don't know why you bought PC hardware and sold them for a slight gain. You should have bought QQQ & SPY, held on to them for a year for long-term capital gains. From a tax perspective, that's far more sensible than buying and selling PC hardware.

I see PC components as an expense not an investment. I buy stuff that I will use. I don't buy stuff that I won't use.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
Yes, but it doesn't matter too much to me because Socket 478 parts aren't being manufactured anymore.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I built mine in November, I didn’t think it would last this long. I waited 9 months to replace my GPU.

Actually, I waited 9 months to replace my sons GTX 580 Matrix Platinum with my 980 Classified.

Buncha hosers running the world.