1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Did you know that TPU has a sister site devoted to games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by JC316, Nov 10, 2008.

1. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Clan things and the likes have been suggested over a year ago. It's a good idea, the site needs to offer something that makes people come back. Work out the idea more.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    I had no idea........

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I think a "user" review section would be nice. Lets say you post a review. Then everyone registered could post their own using the same format. Complete with a multiple choice scale for each user. You could even vote for the best review. Oh and a "funny screenshot" section would keep me coming back alone :)

4. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Hints and Tips section for games and Walkthroughs. . .
    A game performance rating for PC users.
    So it shows what system they were running at the time and how well it performed on thier PC, as we all know the system requirements on the box don't mean squat sometimes.

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats what I was getting at with the "Benchmark section dedicated to in game FPS" thing. but you worded it much better :)

6. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:

Thing is I missed your post so yeah good idea MailMan :toast:
    Also needs a comments box with what performance the person playing the game was getting.
    to point out what glitches or CTD they may have had and how frequent they have been.

Nothing worse than having a game which CTD and thinking there is something wrong with your system when it's actually the game itself and how stable it runs with the system hardware.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  7. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How about a section in the user's profile where you could add "Games I'm currently playing" or "favorite games" or both.
    Could be a drop-downs like system specs.

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Open minded reviews be nice, as most reviewers say some thing bad when some one else could like it.

Linked to this site would be good like other said.

TPU\GPU voting for best game of the year\6 months maybe.

Love to help in any way i can...

9. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    Should we have 2 buy, sell, trade sections?. I think just the one is fine

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Add a buy and trade section in the forums so we can sell and trade games!!

11. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    What does the news contain? Real news/hearsay/game release details/firms taking over firms?

12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    What about a video clip section of funny/cool/kill frenzy game related videos? just maybe have a set max size.

Maybe a nominated game guru too,someone with a lot of gameing experince to hand out tips and help for people who are stuck.

Also how about a sticky with peoples steam or other online gaming names and a sticky with known good game servers.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    that would be a good idea

BTW do our login details for TPU work for GPU?

14. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What more would you want to see, scandals, exposé, sting investigations? News on a tech/game site always has a little bit of everything you mentioned. There's real news, releases, industry news, extracts from the reviews, announcements of new updates/patches, etc., gaming hardware news.

Interestingly, TPU should have had all that covered, since it's a Hardware and Gaming site, but you've got GPU. Soon, who knows, CPU...CodePowerUp! (a site for developers, graphics designers, webdesigners, etc.) ? It all revolves around the success of TPU, and the level of impact it's able to have end of the day, when sister sites get their share of dedication by W1zzard. TPU isn't a perfectly established site, it still has some ground to cover. Everyone associated with this site, members, guests and finally the staff, have a significant role to play toward taking TPU there. To come to a conclusion that TPU has become the site we wanted it to become, the ideal benchmark would be when we start getting rants about the site being too slow, too many ads on the frontpage...it's a humourous, yet realistic way of telling TPU has made its mark, and now we could jump onto GPU, CPU, xyzPU...

15. Borba72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just registered there! thank you!

16. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    To be honest if such a thing is going to be pursued then maybe to help direct attention to it..

See that big blue bar at the top of the forums? The one with Tech power Up on it, and then to the right of that just a weird big blue space?

just stick a GPU logo in there hyper linked to GPU forums.

17. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about when you click on the games section here, it takes you to gamepowerup? That might get it a lot more trafic.

18. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And remove the games forum. Otherwise it'd just be duplicate and people'd tend to post their issues on TPU rather than GPU, thus making GPU pointless...

Same as there is "For all PC hardware support questions, click here to go to techPowerUp! Forums." in the hardware part, in the game part one could make "For all Gaming support questions, click here to go to GamePowerUp! Forums."

Btw -- thank you for informing me! I just registered there.

Great job! :rockout:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  19. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    thats a few good ideas.
    i think it was said TPU needs a link to GPU on the main page so visitors to TPU will notice the site

20. Apocolypse007

Apocolypse007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    possibly a media section with screenshots and trailers of upcoming games.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Ok, GPU needs alot! There are a couple good suggestions already, like:

Benchmarks
    Games currently playing
    Walk throughs
    User ratings
    Available user reviews

I think TPU thrives on the members and the available news, brought to us by our staff. GPU could certainly use more staff who can review, update news events, and bring some life to the forums.

I joined a couple months ago, but there were only a handful of members who posted. Hopefully we can help grow the ...powerup.com legend.

22. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no user reviews. its impossible to guarantee certain levels of quality for them. i think, especially in those early stages, everybody is welcome to join as reviewer and see if its something he wants to do and enjoys

games forum here going to gpu and hardware forum at gpu going to tpu seems like a good idea.

the registrations between both forums will be seperate, no idea yet how to resolve conflicts regarding stolen names.

there is no promotion yet for gpu since it's not launched yet

Ahhzz says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    cheats / walkthroughs is a great idea. but how to add content there? is the cheat/hint/walkthrough content that i see on other sites like gamefaqs their copyright ? or public domain?

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Most places like gamefaqs have links to different walkthroughs that are public domain. Most actual walkthroughs have multiple sites that link to them that I've found.

25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    What I meant about user reviews is that GPU would have their "official review" of the game and people could follow up with their own review of the game in the same manner. Have GPU score and have the user score average with it. This way people can tell about the ups and downs of a game based on their hardware and the scalability of the game. For instance I would love to know how well Far Cry 2 runs on my 939 socket X2 4200 stock. Since not many people review games on such "old" hardware someone on the forum may.

Hell you could even do a review of the newest games on OLD hardware. That would differently be something no one does. Not everyone has the latest of everything. Think about doing a small review on UT3 using an AGP card. If the old stuff runs it well then the new stuff should too. Honestly I could care less what a spider platform gets in crossfire in a game. I mean how many people actually have that kind of setup. Its not the norm.