• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Diet reverses type 2 diabetes

T

twilyth

It's a very small study but all of the participants had their insulin levels return to normal.

article

small excerpt - if you're interested, you need to read the article.
The results of the diet

Under close supervision of a medical team, 11 people who had developed diabetes later in life were put on an extreme diet of just 600 calories a day consisting of liquid diet drinks and non-starchy vegetables. They were matched to a control group of people without diabetes and then monitored over eight weeks. Insulin production from their pancreas and fat content in the liver and pancreas were studied.

After just one week, the Newcastle University team found that their pre-breakfast blood sugar levels had returned to normal.

A special MRI scan of their pancreas revealed that the fat levels in the pancreas had returned from an elevated level to normal (from around 8% to 6%). In step with this, the pancreas regained the normal ability to make insulin and as a result, blood sugar after meals steadily improved.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
600 calories a day? That's...dangerous.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
That's not bad for a week or two, especially if it's got all the crap you need in it. It's basically a survivor mode diet, you'll live, and apparently be cured of diabetes. It's funny I kinda always figured if diet causes this state that diet could reverse it. Why is it just now that we're trying this?

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
I ate 600 calories while reading the article

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II
Storage Corsair F120 SSD +9,5TB storage
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64
Benchmark Scores I only care about practical performance.
I ate 600 calories while reading the article

Which is the problem.. The average male burns about 2-2500 calories by simply existing each day, so I'm not sure how they were thinking. And even IF it would work, i'd rather have diabetes than be restricted to eating a couple of sandwiches or something.

tuyen

Which is the problem.. The average male burns about 2-2500 calories by simply existing each day, so I'm not sure how they were thinking. And even IF it would work, i'd rather have diabetes than be restricted to eating a couple of sandwiches or something.

If you had diabetes, you'd be restricted to a hell of a lot more than just sandwiches. To say "I'd rather have diabetes" shows true ignorance.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
agreed watching what my grand mother goes through id never want diabetes im thankful i dont have it and can enjoy what i like.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

For long periods of time, yes. However, for a week or two or four, not really. It just forces the body to consume its fat reserves in an expedited manner, which is exactly the point here.

The key afterwards is to continue to to maintain a diet that keeps loosing fat or keeps the fat levels in the body at a health level.

That's not bad for a week or two, especially if it's got all the crap you need in it. It's basically a survivor mode diet, you'll live, and apparently be cured of diabetes. It's funny I kinda always figured if diet causes this state that diet could reverse it. Why is it just now that we're trying this?

Actually, I believe that is how this study first came about, people that had been standed with little to no food, came back cured of diabetes.:eek:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

For two months. I'd say it's worth it for someone with diabetes to do it. You can stuff yourself with low calorie stuff no problem. So it's that, or medications that work half assed, other health issues, etc. I bet if moderate exercise was thrown in the mix, you could go a little higher with the calorie level.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Software Win 7 x64
If you had diabetes, you'd be restricted to a hell of a lot more than just sandwiches. To say "I'd rather have diabetes" shows true ignorance.

Oh, but I do have diabetes. Type 1 though. So i don't have to be as restrictive as a type 2.

Now, i can't speak for type 2 diabetes, since they can't inject themselves, thus making it impossible to live an unhealthy lifestyle. Or they could face a premature death, but that's their prerogative i guess.. The point is, i can chug a cola if i wanted to, but i don't. Just because i know how much insulin it really takes to get all that sugar out of the blood, it's frightening. Apart from the hassle of injecting myself "just for the sake" of having a chilled cola, people automatically assume that just because they don't have diabetes and have to go through the hassle of injecting insulin for every piece of food or candy they shove in their mouths, it's somehow "ok" to them.

Now that my friend.. Is true ignorance.

And let me make it clear right here and now. IF I choose to, i could pig out at candy and cola all day long, but having type 1 diabetes i have seen this "sugar is bad for you" etc in a different light than most ever will.

I'll give you a good example. 1,5 liters of cola. That's about 60 units of insulin to get the sugars out of the blood (personally tested once). A full healthy meal for me on any given day varry between 6-10 units of insulin. But non-diabetics don't have to worry. They don't realize this.

Additionally, i got diabetes at the age of 20, so i do know the difference between healthy and diabetic.

Summary is that if i choose to, i could live that average lifestyle most people share. You know, nice starchy food and some candy once in a while. But in the end, it's just to much hassle for comfort.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Wow, you are so wrong. The average sedentary male in this day and age burns 1200-1700 calories.

Eating nothing but fiberous veggies and drinking water and taking vitamins will allow a overweight person to live and force their fat ass to burn the fat for the store energy that it has. A pound of fat has 4,000 calories. 20 Pounds overweight means you have enough fat to live on for forty days. As long as you maintain a very marginal carbohydrate intake and some protein you can live, well.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Oh, but I do have diabetes. Type 1 though. So i don't have to be as restrictive as a type 2.

Now, i can't speak for type 2 diabetes, since they can't inject themselves, thus making it impossible to live an unhealthy lifestyle. Or they could face a premature death, but that's their prerogative i guess.. The point is, i can chug a cola if i wanted to, but i don't. Just because i know how much insulin it really takes to get all that sugar out of the blood, it's frightening. Apart from the hassle of injecting myself "just for the sake" of having a chilled cola, people automatically assume that just because they don't have diabetes and have to go through the hassle of injecting insulin for every piece of food or candy they shove in their mouths, it's somehow "ok" to them.

Now that my friend.. Is true ignorance.

And let me make it clear right here and now. IF I choose to, i could pig out at candy and cola all day long, but having type 1 diabetes i have seen this "sugar is bad for you" etc in a different light than most ever will.

I'll give you a good example. 1,5 liters of cola. That's about 60 units of insulin to get the sugars out of the blood (personally tested once). A full healthy meal for me on any given day varry between 6-10 units of insulin. But non-diabetics don't have to worry. They don't realize this.

Additionally, i got diabetes at the age of 20, so i do know the difference between healthy and diabetic.

Summary is that if i choose to, i could live that average lifestyle most people share. You know, nice starchy food and some candy once in a while. But in the end, it's just to much hassle for comfort.

Let me clue you into something, you body become resistant to the synthetic insulines overtime, they become less effective. They also have some serious side effects like kideny damage, lack of blood pressure control etc. So you best bet is to minimize your insuline use as much as possiable. BTW get your iron levels check, High iron levels and iron loading can cuase type1 like diabetes symptoms in people who should not be diabetic.

My wife has been living with this disease for 25years, I know way more about, its cuases and its research then I would have ever cared to.

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Software Win 7 x64
Wow, you are so wrong. The average sedentary male in this day and age burns 1200-1700 calories.

Eating nothing but fiberous veggies and drinking water and taking vitamins will allow a overweight person to live and force their fat ass to burn the fat for the store energy that it has. A pound of fat has 4,000 calories. 20 Pounds overweight means you have enough fat to live on for forty days. As long as you maintain a very marginal carbohydrate intake and some protein you can live, well.
I think we have a different view of what average as well as sedentary means.
Also, carbs are not needed to survive, so right back at ya :D
edit/ No you did not say it was "needed to survive" but it's my interpretation of what you wrote. If you meant basal metabolic rate, i stand corrected. I meant the average person's day as a whole. I didn't want to complicate things.
I couldn't count on that people on this kind of forum would know much on the subject, but you clearly proved me wrong.
Let me clue you into something, you body become resistant to the synthetic insulines overtime, they become less effective. They also have some serious side effects like kideny damage, lack of blood pressure control etc. So you best bet is to minimize your insuline use as much as possiable. BTW get your iron levels check, High iron levels and iron loading can cuase type1 like diabetes symptoms in people who should not be diabetic.

My wife has been living with this disease for 25years, I know way more about, its cuases and its research then I would have ever cared to.
I'm sorry to hear that. About your wife i mean. Yes, but you can counteract the resistance with exercise. And i love exercise. Also, I've only had it for let's see.. 4 years in November. I see a lot of "diabetes cure" related papers, but when you read them it usually is in rats, or very experimental. But I'm a young guy, so I'm holding my thumbs for a cure. But I'm also a realist, i mean, they've been saying a cure is "five years away" since the 70's. But i think when it does come, i believe type 1 will be treated very quickly here. If I'm not mistaken, Sweden are among the worst places statistically. And since insulin and everything that goes with it is "free" (paid by tax payers) here, it would be a great economic relif for everyone, that is to say, use that tax money for other things.

Last edited:
T

twilyth

I think it's worth noting that type I and II don't have much in common. Type I is due to an inability to produce insulin. Beta cells (???) that make it are killed off by the immune system iirc.

Type II is more properly called metabolic syndrome. T2's usually still make at least some insulin but their cells are resistant to it and therefore they require more in order to pull glucose out of the blood.

Also, Type 2's often don't require anything more than oral medication and maybe some sort of basal insulin (basically, a slow-release form of the drug).

This study was only relevant to Type 2.

System Name Bandit 2: Ryzen Boogaloo
Processor AMD R5 3600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Stock
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB @ 3200
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 5700XT
Storage Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500GB; Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 10 Professional
Staying with a whole foods diet will solve a lot more health related problems than just Type II Diabetes. Think of all of the processed food you eat a day, and all of the related problems that come with that type of food: high cholesterol, high blood pressure, obesity, heart related issues, etc. A lot of the diseases we're seeing today are definitely self-inflicted, and easily solved by simply fixing your diet and staying even moderately active. It's definitely not easy (I'm slowly transitioning, and slip every now and again) but the reward is worth the cost in my opinion.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I think we have a different view of what average as well as sedentary means.
Also, carbs are not needed to survive, so right back at ya :D
edit/ No you did not say it was "needed to survive" but it's my interpretation of what you wrote. If you meant basal metabolic rate, i stand corrected. I meant the average person's day as a whole. I didn't want to complicate things.
I couldn't count on that people on this kind of forum would know much on the subject, but you clearly proved me wrong.

Carbs are not NEEDED, but as a man who has gotten ripped a few times I can definitely say a few complex carbs will go a long way to feeling good.

Basal metabolic rate for people is a horrible measure of anything. We are living in a lazy age, our ancestors used to run/walk miles a day. It has been proven that people live longer and healthier with a lower caloric intake, and the 2000 a day was set years ago, for the population as a average. So does a office worker need the intake that a construction worker does? I used to consume 4-16 thousand calories per day when working construction and working out. Now I eat 1500-2500 and I need to lose weight. I could eat only 1000 per day for weeks on end and work out and be healthy. Protein has a significantly different effect than a bowl of ice cream also. So the type of calories, and the work being done with those calories is also significant.

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Software Win 7 x64
I used to consume 4-16 thousand calories per day when working construction and working out. Now I eat 1500-2500 and I need to lose weight.

Yeah.. I wonder why you need to loose weight.. :roll:
Dude seriously, WSM competitors eat that much.. If you cut those 16k in half.. Maybe.
And what's this talk about BMR not being accurate? Did our organs all of a sudden stop using as much energy as they used to?

Protein has a significantly different effect than a bowl of ice cream also
This is the first factual statement I've seen so far. And it's not really beyond the realm of common sense ;)

System Name Hector v1.0
Processor Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz @ 4.209GHz
Motherboard Rampage II Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 580 Vanilla under an Arctic Cooling Xtreme Plus
Storage 2x 1TB Samsung 7200 RPM RAID0 + 2x 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID0
Display(s) Acer GD245HQ
Case HAF932
Audio Device(s) Creative Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Real Power M Active PSU
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P6115 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/525931
You know what is hillarious? watching people in a tech forum argue biology, especially when there is a clear lack of expertise! xD

System Name ASUS ROG Zephrus M15
Processor AMD Rhyzen 7 4800HS
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 2060
Storage 1TB
so did this cure the diabetes from them forever? or just while they were on the crazy diet?

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Software Win 7 x64
For it to be cured, the dead beta cells would have to somehow magically grow back, which isn't gonna happen by simply eating less. Eating less requires less insulin, which is good if you've got a deficiency. Not sure why they would specify calories though. I haven't read the article, but 600 calories of sugar sure wouldn't help with anything.

I think the main purpose of this 600 calories diet is just to "clean" the body and not consume this little calories through longer periods.

T

twilyth

I think the main purpose of this 600 calories diet is just to "clean" the body and not consume this little calories through longer periods.

Right. I think the key to the article is the part where they talk about the fat content of the pancreas dropping from 8% to 6% iirc.

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Software Win 7 x64
"Clean"? Sounds like "toning" your muscles. :banghead:
If you want to "clean" your system you can just shove a water tube up your bum and flush it all out.. Hey look i just cured..