1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Difference between Opteron and Phenom

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sheps999, Oct 29, 2007.

1. sheps999

sheps999 New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK. Where it's always lovely and su-...no, never m
    This has probably been posted before, and I apologize if it has, but I am a little confused as to the difference between the quad-core Opterons and the forthcoming quad-core Phenoms.

My thoughts would be that the Opterons are designed for server applications, and the Phenoms are for desktop environments. Am I right? Please enlighten :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Athlon2K15

Athlon2K15 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    there the same just one is marketed for servers and one is marketed for desktop/end user

sheps999 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tweaked memory controllers, Cache sizes, thermal outputs, voltages, testing scemes, HT links, pricing, included heatsink, speed binning, many things.

First of all opty's are tweaked for higher throughput vs latency. Also their cache sizes in reguard to their speed is also larger. Voltages and TDP are lower compared to their equivelint x2 or phenom units.

Second, opterons are tested for much longer and at higher temperatures than regular chips. Being server grade, they need to hold up to high temps for long periods of time, under full load. Thus the chips are also binned higher compared to standard units. A 2.0ghz x2 is the same as a 1.6ghz opteron in terms of cache, just a lower multi and lower voltage. This is why the highest x2's are 3.2 and optys are 2.6.

sheps999 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure that new stepping, better clocks, lower power consumption will be offered with Phenom. AMD and Intel are ususally always trying to make thier current and future chips better. We'll probablly see updated Opty's along with the launch of Phenom or soon thereafter.

sheps999 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. sheps999

sheps999 New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK. Where it's always lovely and su-...no, never m
    Thanks for your replies, guys. Much appreciated :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU