• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Different Versions of AutoCAD

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
I'm looking for someone who has used AutoCAD 2002 and other more up to date versions. My boss at work is reluctant to upgrade because he feels he'll have to relearn the program. While trying to figure out how to get AutoCAD 02 with Windows 7 (Which I couldn't), I saw users discussing using more up to date versions of AutoCAD and changing the GUI to look like an older, more familiar versions. Does anyone know how to do such a thing?

I want to get Windows 7 on our office computers, but this AutoCAD issue is holding me back. Any thoughts from experienced AutoCAD users would be appreciated. I myself do not use the program nor know much about it, I just need to have it up and running for others at work.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
autodesk products tend to allow customized GUI's at least its that way in the apps i use from them so i dont see why Autocad would be any different and your boss will need to learn new software eventually stalling will only make it worse theres no reason that you cant install the new version and cross reference what does what the new apps will eventually become second nature examples

Maya 7 by alias vs Maya 8.0 by autodesk HUGE difference in terms of gui layout but if you pay attention and look around all the tools are there just tweaked and better placed.

i cant speak for autocad ive little experience in it and that was for some mechanical designs

i say grab the new autocad my guess is the new autocad will run on the old OS if im not mistaken as such give them a month or 2 to get accustomed to the New Autocad then switch to the new windows this way if time is of utmost importance they can easy switch to what there comfortable with.. Also not sure if it works the same with Autocad but in Maya you can rename the ascii files via it will say Maya 8.5 in the file if i change it to Maya6.5 maya 6.5 can open the file with little issue. Not sure if it applies to autocad but it should depending on there save file preferences

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
I'll try and talk them into it. I actually have 3 bosses who all use AutoCAD. The topic briefly came up the other day and he actually mentioned how he held off for a very long time on upgrading. He used a version of AutoCAD from the early 90's until like 2005 when he switched to 2002 version...even though there was an 04 version.

I have a very basic understanding of the 2002 version of AutoCAD. I plan to check out the new version myself to gauge how different it may be before trying to sell my case.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
good plan major point here is software dosent change all that much between versions for the exact reasons that your aware off especially in these situations :toast: