1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Discussion : Bring back the Single Slot Cards.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by HuLkY, Mar 5, 2012.

1. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Not in my experience. I think the huge power consumption is the problem.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
    I think also it is a matter of optimization, I'm dead sure there can be a solution for the companies rather than just slipping a cheap HUGE cooler on a card, or even coming up with a Tri or Quad cooler thing.
    My Point is you can still get a very strong PC with a small size too, it doesn't need to be a huge EATX thing.
    I gave an example before about this point, we are just discussing it, i am not asking for a HTPC! :D
    Imagine having a GENE mobo with 3960X with three cards on it, how cool is that?

3. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    ...what does power consumption have to do with it? 9/10 X670s & 7750s are double slot for reliabilities sake. You must know very clean people. 80% of the failures I've dealt with were seized/clogged fans on single slot coolers. They're just not very durable, and the low profile gives them a smaller tolerance for obstruction.

mrb00m says thanks.
  4. mrb00m

mrb00m

Thanks Received:
    @HuLKY I would imagine that would be a lot of power going through a small mobo and a big strain on the power circuitry , but if its not a HTPC why go for a small board? Also AMD will be bringing power draw down in trinity apu's by using that resonant clock mesh tech they licenced so we might see it in future AMD GPU'S, although chances are that if it brings power and temps down AMD will just use the extra overhead to clock there chips higher so we would still need dual slot coolers;) . This is the trouble the cooler a chip runs AMD/NIVIDIA will simply clock it higher to maximize it performance compared to the competion!:rolleyes:
    I can see your point but i just dont think its going to happen.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. mrb00m

mrb00m

Thanks Received:
    This just the same as all the laptops i have to service due to over heating the low profile coolers just clog up to easily;)

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Single slot coolers simply aren't capable of dissipating the heat generated by the GPUs. The mid-lower end cards generate less heat, and hence get single slot coolers, but the high end just can't do it. Yes, you would think that lowering to 28nm would make it possible, but the problem is that they don't just lower the process to 28nm, they also up the performance, which in turn ups heat.

I think the 7870 could probably get away with a single slot cooler, but just barely, and the fan would be loud. Most prefer the quieter fan of a dual slot, so that is what we get, single slot is a niche market filled by niche products.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My single slot 8800GT was kickass when it wasn't over heating.. and sadly that's why I replaced it. Great card.. just a poor cooler. If you want a card with a single slot cooler then buy a 8800GT and use it for awhile during the summer months and see how much you really want one. I want to fly and I guess I could until I hit the ground.. hehehe That's how a single slot cooler would work.. it would be great at first but then after you use it awhile over time it would overheat and die...

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    A perfect example of what happens when you put a single slot cooler on a high powered card is the HD4850. The reference design used a single slot cooler, and the card got so hot that it would burn your if you didn't wait for a minute or two before removing it. And so many of them were burning up and dying that AMD had to release drivers that purposely retarded performance in benchmarking apps and some high end games just to stop the cards from frying themselves.

Yeah, the 8800GT was another example. However, nVidia's fix was easier, they just widened the fan hole and that helped with cooler a lot. My 9800GT had no issues with overheating, though it was a loud beast for sure...

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
  10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It's heat that kills the cards, power consumption = heat. If cards don't really heavily on a huge cooler they won't die as fast. Not even when the cooler might fail.

mrb00m and HuLkY say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. mrb00m

mrb00m

Thanks Received: