1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by mikeledevito, Jan 25, 2011.

1. mikeledevito New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

Sometimes, while my PC is running I am getting this windows message:
    Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

For a moment my windows freezes and and as a result it gives me this notification. It is not happening while I am in full load of my PC, just happens for example when I have open "FireFox", Word, UTorrent and then when I go to see a clip from youtube this happens or I run some other light application? I tried to reinstall graphic drivers and it`s the same, I tried to use a stable version of the AMD GPU driver 10-6 and is not helping.
    I have MSi r4850 oc 640 Mhz, 512MB, DDR3 graphic on Biostar A770 A2g+
    My CPU is Athlon II X2 240 2.8 Ghz. I am running Windows x64 Ultimate.
    Can someone help me out and tell me why is this happening and what should I do to avoid this annoying notification. Thx up front!!!

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    It means your graphics card is unstable - try running the card at its default stock speeds and see if the problem still occurs

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. mikeledevito New Member

Thanks Received:
    wooo, my graphic card is unstable??? what makes you say that? the default core speed is at 640 Mhz and that is little overclocked by the manufacturer. I never messed within this area!
    I rather want to think my GPU driver isn`t good, or having some Windows issues. My GPU doesn`t fail at any high sys req. game nor fur mark, with a 55 nm of lithography it gives me up to 40 C degrees in full load...So?!

4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    well do a clean re-install of the drivers.

uninstall the old drivers and run a program called DRIVER SWEEPER before you restart the PC - then install the new drivers (10.12's) and see if the problem still persists - also check that the fan is running on the graphics card and your case is well ventiilated as the problem can be down to overheating issues.

And yes - its very much a graphics card issue

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean it only happens when running 2D applications and never happens during gaming?

My card used to do exactly the same.

During 2D applications my card (and I suppose yours too) runs at lower clocks. To temporarily solve my problem I increased the 2D clocks of my card.

Erocker had posted great instructions on how to do this in this thread. It's really for the 5xxx series but perhaps it might work in your case...

I solved it permanently by flashing the card to the latest sapphire bios - now I can run 2D apps at the low programmed clocks of 157/300 without freeze-ups of the driver. If you can't run erockers fix perhaps you might search for a more recent bios for your card.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I am having the same issue, I tihnk, as well. I get artifacting @ 2D, whether fullscreen 2D, on the desktop, etc...

Currently trying to deal with XFX on the problem...awaiting reply...10.12 driver is far worse than any other, for some reason. I have found that a fresh install, with letting windows install gpu driver, works best...almost seems like a coldbug, but not...

However, I do get the odd artifact while gaming, about every few minutes I notice something rendered wrong while gaming, so I am not 100% sure that it is the same problem that we all have. Would not be surprising though.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. mikeledevito New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well okay, that sound more acceptable...thx for the Driver Sweeper advice, will try, just tell me do I have this software as a freeware or...?! I checked GPU fan 2 months ago and it was working properly, also I don`t have fan controller on my GPU as I believe it`s cuz of the newer GPU edition and my GPU temp vary from 20 up to 40 C, in utterly rare cases goes up to 45, when I play 3 hours Stalker, my room is hot enough, so it`s normal, I am perfectly satisfied with my PC temp...My CPU dosn`t go up than 28 C in full load...

Thank you guys, BRB with you as soon as I can I must finish some work !!! Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2011
  8. mikeledevito New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ Black Panther:
    yes, it never happens during games, films...it just happens in running 2D apps, but never happened in games!!!

Will try with erocker post but I think I prefer this: "I solved it permanently by flashing the card to the latest sapphire bios - now I can run 2D apps at the low programmed clocks of 157/300 without freeze-ups of the driver. If you can't run erockers fix perhaps you might search for a more recent bios for your card. "

Just, I don`t know how to flash a GPU bios, any instructive link I can lean on!?
    Thx alot !