• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Display Problem

Cyvain

I have just finally put together my first ever PC from scratch with parts I picked out and am having issues with getting any display on the monitor i have i am testing it works on. I switch it on, the fans go, the lights on the motherboard light up, i don't get any beep noises of any kind, the LED and HDD lights don't show on the front of the case and i get no output to the monitor. I can't seem to find what is wrong with it. I am fairly certain all the wires are plugged in right and all the bits are compatible but I don't see what is going wrong.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
Can you list the systems parts you have used.

You wont get a beep if no case speaker is attached to the motherboard.
Do you have a seperate graphics card or are you using your motherboards built in graphics?

- If your motherboard/cpu choice has onboard graphics ability, try hooking your monitor up to that output first to see if you get signal then change in the bios to use your seperate graphics card/PCI graphics adapter.

- If you are only using the onboard graphics on your motherboard/cpu and that dosent give signal then it could be down to a few things:

- Ensure that your selection of cpu/motherboard support onboard graphics... some processor models dont have onboard graphics even if used with a compatible motherboard.

- Try resetting your bios.

- Try with only one stick of ram inserted in the first memory slot.

- Ensure that you have the correct bios for your processor choice. (some motherboards will support newer processors only after certain bios updates are made).

EDIT: After rereading your post it appears that there is more to this than when first i skim read.

If no lights are showing up on the front of the case when powered on, then amoungst other things you have probably hooked up the pwr,reset,hdd led, pwr led motherboard headers incorrectly to your cases wires.
Apart from that I will need to know a list of the parts you have used in this build to help further without more speculation ;)

Last edited:

Cyvain

Well as I said I wasn't sure if I had put the wires right as for components:

Motherboard: MSI 870-c45 AMD motherboard
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2
Ram: 4 x 4GB (Kensington make I think)
DVD/CD Drive
1TB Hard Drive
2 Fans
400W CPU
GE Force 210 Graphics Card (As I couldn't see a graphics output on the motherboard)

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
You mention that you have 4 sticks of ram... do you know what type of ram and what speed the sticks are? (DDR3 1600mhz etc...) If you could post their specs it would be helpful.

Try these steps in the mean time:

- Check the manual and make sure the HDD LED, PWR LED, RESET, POWER SWITCH cables from your case are connected to the relevant motherboard headers correctly. (This will ensure that the power switch, reset button and HDD & Power LED Lights function correctly).

- Recheck that you have connected the 4pin 12v CPU power lead from your Power Supply to the motherboard. Check the same with the main 24pin lead. If they are connected, try pushing them to ensure good contact.

-Put only 1 stick of ram installed in the first dram slot (not all four to begin with).

Try to boot now, if that fails then reset your BIOS (Read in your instruction manual how to do this, it entails taking out the CMOS battery and shorting the cmos clear pins usually).

Cyvain

I had the power led and hdd led wires in wrong and also re-seating cpu seemed to fix it.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403