1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DIY led lighting

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by randomperson21, Aug 2, 2006.

1. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heya all

So i just finished putting some custom etching on my plexi case window. looks pretty schweet.
    Figured out that if you shine a focused beam of light, say from a led, into the side edge of the plexi, the light will travel down it and out the other end, much like fiber optics. and if the etched part is in the path, it glows! woo! pretty! :rockout:

Now, heres the problem. Illuminating the damn things. I read a guide here showing how to make a 2 led diy light unit.
    Essentially, its +7v----Led----led----gnd.
    Tried this one out, looked ok, but it seemed to get hot.

Next, made it bigger
    +12v---led---led---led---led---gnd.
    Really cool, but really hot. stabalizes at 104F.

Now, i emailed this to my electronicly-inclined buddy (as you can most likely tell, i'm a total circut n00b), and he sorta freaked. Heres what he said:
    :eek:
    I don't understand any of this. If anyone here could help me get some diy led clusters up and running, it would be highly appreciated.

Or if anyone knows of a better solution for this?? :D

i can post pics if you want.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thinking last night, maybe a 9v battery would work. less expensive to blow up than a psu.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. bbriand New Member

Thanks Received:
    He has your LEDs in parallel (scratch that they are not in parallel - they are individual). The squiggly lines (_/\/\/\_) are the 1k ohm resistors. So you'll need one resistor for each LED.

There is a calculator out there that determines the size of the resistor depending on the current draw of the LED and the operating voltage of the LED. I'll try and find it.

[EDIT]
    Note that he does NOT have the LEDs in parallel. They are individually powered.

I googled on "led resistor calculator" and came up with:
    http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Hopefully you have the electrical specifications of the LEDs you want to use.
    [/EDIT]

Bill

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU