1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you need a HDD to get into BIOS?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Scavar, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I am building my parents a computer out of spare parts. Mostly mine, and I know everything works. When I first plugged it all in, I got three beeps, which lead me to think it was either A) The fact that I didn't have a keyboard plugged in B) Faulty memory or C) The video card

So I fixed two of those at once. I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard, and took out all the RAM, and then put one back in. It then started up.

I must note, I have no CD/DVD Drive or Floppy, all mine are sitting in the back corner of a storage room, so yeah screw that. Also, the HDD is brand new, so it doesn't have any formatting.

It no longer beeps, but when I turn it on, it just tells me It's intializing, then says it can't do anything because there is no boot drive avaliable. So yeah, do you need anything to get into BIOS besides the main hardware?

Im not sure what the MB is, It's an intel Pentium D board, DVPS95 or something like that. Corsair Value Select 512mb sticks, and a 7800GT(Which is grossly overpowered for my parents) Pentium D 920. Everything worked a month ago. Oh and a Sound Blaster Audigy.

On a site note, the case I bought my parents, has an air freshner in it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    you shouldnt need a hard drive to get into the bios. make sure all cables are snug.

chris

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I am lazy and tired now, but tomorrow I will write down the exact message it gives me. It's the first time I have heard of it. I didn't think I needed anything to get into BIOS.

Thanks though, I'll let you know what the exact message is.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It tells you it can't boot because the hard drive is empty. Check your motherboards manual to see how you enter the BIOS, it's most likely by pressing either DEL or F2 during POST. Set boot priority to CD/DVD and boot from your favorite OS CD and install it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Iirc, my old 845 based intel board was F1 to get into the BIOS

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. lufrey New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, you don't need a HDD to get into bios. You need to press the bios key which could be F1, F2 .... F10 or DEL key for Award bios. Compaq motherboards usually use F10 key.

7. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually I figured it out. My memory is bad, but only some of the time. So it tells me that the amount of memory has changed and it goes through some bullshit. I was able to get into the BIOS once, but it seems that somehow all four sticks of memory are bad. I probably broke them somehow, or they died sometime during when I was using them, and just sitting around. And the board is only rated for DDR2 667 or lower, so it own't take my DDR2 800 memory.

Thanks for the help though. As you usual, you guys are always great.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well is it possible that perhaps the Power Supply is the problem? Because at this point, I used an erase to clean the contacts on the memory, and so sometimes the system will post, and everything in BIOS is ok, but it won't always post. When it doesn't post it gives me the three long beeps for the memory, is it possible that the memory is bad but sometimes somehow posts?

10 Year Member at TPU