1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you still use MB speaker/ case speaker ? [ fun time ]

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lZKoce, Sep 18, 2017.

?

Do you use MB speaker ?

1. Yes, came with the case /MB

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. No, I have removed it permanently

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Only when PC doesn't boot, to hear the beep sequence when powering up

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. No, I have a roomate/ family member and have to be quiet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Chicken wings

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Sooo..., I noticed this thing, that being a family man required me to turn on the PC late when everyone's asleep. And not to wake up anyone I removed the small speaker that was connected to the MB, so that there won't be any "BEEP" when powering on. I remember a time when PC cases came with this fairly sizeable speaker at the bottom of the case. Time long gone now. Long story short, do you still have that speaker in your case ? Haven't seen any mod with a speaker for sure. :)

2. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are still quite a few PC's that come with speakers that are now used as audio speakers (Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc), and also many come with the buzzer style speakers for POST reporting and alerting.

I run the speaker on my systems if I have one available, because I'd rather know if there's an issue or POST code I need to be aware of. Can save some guess work when issues arise. :)

95Viper says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. toilet pepper

toilet pepper

Thanks Received:
    This was trouble when my board didnt have a post code led indicator. So yeah, chicken wings are good.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    I would think the light from the monitor(s) would be more intrusive than one small beep. Or normal Windows sounds from the speakers.

For the record, I find the system speakers invaluable and think it a shame they do not come on all motherboards. The small piezoelectric "button" speakers found on many current boards certainly do not take up much real estate and when motherboard makers can buy them in lots of 100s of 1000s, you really are talking just pennies to add them. This is especially true since virtually all ATX compliant motherboards and their BIOS and chipsets still support beep codes and system speakers via the front panel I/O header.

So for those motherboards that do not include them, we always add them in all our builds. Many find the one small beep that indicates a successful POST (power-on self test) reassuring. I do and I also find it convenient as I don't have to watch the screen during boot to understand how the boot process is progressing. So I keep a stash of System Speakers on hand since they are so inexpensive (note that $8.95 is for 20).

And for the record, when used inside a quality case like the Fractal Design R4 or R5, the beep sound level is so suppressed by the sound dampening materials and case designs, you almost have to know the beep is coming to hear it. If your presence in the room or an illuminated and changing display on the monitor does not wake your roommate, I don't believe one small beep will. Now of course, if POST fails and you get a bunch of beeps, that might wake someone. But then it will also tell you something at the basic hardware level is bad, perhaps pointing directly to bad RAM, keyboard error, or something else. I find that a good thing.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK and Totally say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Totally

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it's a must for troubleshooting. IMO why make life harder for yourself when something goes wrong.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  6. MrGenius

MrGenius

Thanks Received:
    I'll leave it there if it's soldered to the motherboard. Otherwise it's gonna find a new home in the spare parts box.

7. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea if my Asus Z170 Pro Gaming has one, there wasn't one in the box, maybe it's somewhere soldered on it?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I always found it pretty stupid that people actually installed these things o_O I don't think I have put one on a motherboard for over 10 years , to me a very loud annoying beep every time I turn on my computer doesn't benefit me in anyway. Between the lights and Dr. debug I don't see how the sound is going to do to make my pc experience better, so i have a container somewhere full of them.

9. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    My case is from the P4 era so it’s still got one. Must hear Post Beep!

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. StrayKAT

StrayKAT

Thanks Received:
    My motherboard still beeps. It can be deactivated with jumpers though. I don't need to do anything else.

11. StrayKAT

StrayKAT

Thanks Received:
    It helps if you're messing with the bios a lot. I just did a new install, and it was already helpful there...giving me a warning on my display settings when I switched out of legacy mode.

12. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    Learn how to use "Multi-Quote" and the "Edit" option...;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. StrayKAT

StrayKAT

Thanks Received:
    My bad. Only caught his post later. Just a bad habit of answering polls first.. before reading comments. :)

14. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    Since my mobo does not have a 7 digit osd readouts I use the speaker.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  15. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    any issue I've ever had with the bios (which I also often go into quite a bit) is displayed by Dr. D bug, which I find just as easy ,or easier and less annoying than the high-pitched squealing sound. I'm not saying it doesn't have a place but I think it's a bit outdated ,& redundant

16. StrayKAT

StrayKAT

Thanks Received:
    I don't get a squealing sound, but if yours does, I don't blame you.

Is Dr. Debug some Windows app? Because this was before I even installed an OS.

17. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    Now lets Get Scientific with this

[​IMG]

If case/motherboard has and can be connected to external speaker then its connected ( over various systems)

JackDarx says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    They are easy to spot. See http://i26.tinypic.com/2n702tx.jpg.
    Stupid? :(

I find it ignorant to think or assume,
    1. Everyone has a motherboard with diagnostic lights (most motherboards don't),
    2. Users can easily see those lights during boot,
    3. Users always watch those lights,
    4. Every user has a windowed case,
    5. Very loud? Not hardly.
    6. Provides no benefit? Then you don't understand what a single beep means.
    7. Shall I go on?
    Just because you don't understand or gain any benefit from system speakers, that does not make it stupid for those of us who do.

My tower is located on a shelf under my desktop on the left. While my case has a Window, where are case windows? On the left. So again, a "faint" single beep to tell me my system completed POST successfully is very informative and does not make me get down on my hands and knees to peer into the side window of my case. In fact, if the TV is not on, I can press the "On" button and go into the kitchen to top off my coffee and still hear that my PC is booting properly. Let's see you do that with motherboard diagnostic lights. :rolleyes:

As a side point, I may go weeks between reboots and longer between shutdowns. As a general rule, I only reboot when some Windows or security program update requires it and weeks can pass before that happens. The last time I actually "shutdown" my computer was in June when I replaced my graphics card.

dorsetknob and INSTG8R say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU