1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you think if games become too realistic it will begin to f*ck with people's minds?

Discussion in 'Games' started by vawrvawerawe, Mar 5, 2013.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    All I know is that when I play first person shooters I feel like a bad ass until I see a couple of guys who were up to no good and started making trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-air"

Jetster says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. caleb

Thanks Received:
    I find it disturbing that modern entertainment use RAW violence more and more. I still feel ok with 80's/90's action films - scene was just showing you a guy shot and period. Nowday's you need to look at a fu**ing killing/rape scene for even few minutes to get the idea - that's really cheap of the director and not tasty at all IMHO.
    I got kinda shocked by the way TombRaider is done... You spam a button in order to keep stabbing a fu**ng animal with a knife until it dies? One time is not enough for a stupid video game? I know its rated M but if I wanted gore violence Id buy Resident Evil.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably not, Movies have not Fucked me up I don't see why games would.

5. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    The only time when it would mess with people's minds is if the people involved are weak-minded fools that are highly susceptible to suggestion in the first place.

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I like how vawrvawerawe (our resident troll who comes out of hibernation occasionally... I say this with love. :) ) started this thread and barely posts again and it's still 4 pages strong. What is wrong with you people? :p

The only thing messing with my mind here is this thread. It has done more than any game ever will. :laugh:

This isn't in general nonsense why again?

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you don't want to contribute to a thread. Don't post and ignore it.

Thanks.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion I don't think it's the game but the players disposition. If a a person has the condition (and I do believe it is a medical condition) where they cannot tell the difference between the real world and a game they have already been confused by the two long before games became as realistic as they are now. I remember in my early teens when the original Xbox came out hearing on the news about man hunt I think it was and people's concerns about how it will make players go and play the game out in the real world.

I believe if you are of sound mind and of the age rating and therefore old enough the understand that a games content is fictional then no it won't.

9. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Graphics get better and better and it is harder and harder for me to get into games. Maybe it is just me getting older. But I have other theory that as a games are becoming more and more detailed and less is left to the imagination to fill the spaces. Like a great book that no movie would do her justice.

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Hey you're talking about all of my posts.

I think the thread belongs here.

Aquinus says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    No. If your "box" on the neck is properly wired it doesn't matter. The problem will only become when reality and the virtual will be so real that you won't be able to make a difference. And even then we'll have to talk about neural connections because NOTHING can ever be as realistic and still being played with keyboard+mice not to know which is which. It can be super realistic but if you control it using existing controllers it's just not possible to mess it up.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Only people who suffered from extremely poor parenting and also have mental problems would have issues distinguishing reality from fantasy.

13. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Once I played Tetris so much I would drop blocks in my dreams.

Another game was Halo. I used to hog noob run over guys in mp with hog so much that one day I was driving with my mom and said you can hit that guy. I was stuck in game mode.

So you could say just about any game can f*ck with your mind.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013