• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does a Parity Drive Count Against the MBR Limit?

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
I'm helping a friend turn his old XP32 system into a file server. From what I've read, the normal MBR limit is 2.2 TB. But with 4KB sectors, this limit is raised to 8.8 TB.

If I were to take five 2 TB drives and put them into a RAID 5 configuration, it would be 8 TB of usable space with 2 TB of parity. Would that be addressable under MBR?

Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
Just so you know, those large drives that use MBR and 4K Sectors come from the factory that way.

Windows itself, and most other partitioning tools, will not allow you to format a drive with MBR and 4K sectors to bypass the 2TB limit.

So if you use Windows to format the drive you will be limited to 2.2TB no matter what.

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
Hmm... I remember getting a WD drive with Advanced Format and having to use an aligning program or something for XP32 a while back. Think I'm going to see if that would allow for formating with 4K sectors. Either that or hope the motherboard's onboard RAID chipset has something for it.

Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Display(s) 1920x1080
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
Good luck with that, but I doubt you'll have any success.

At this point I'd just toss XP and go with something that supports GPT.

Heck, I'd even just install Windows 7 without putting in a product key over using XP at this point.

The limited functionality that you loose after 30 days won't really affect the operation of a file server.

You can even still download and install updates without any problems.

Last edited:

Geekoid

Or, if you don't need the XP operating system and don't want to fork out £70 for a new Windows licence, you can just bung a Linux distro on there. In this instance, FreeNAS would be the one that jumps out at me - http://www.freenas.org/. You get software RAID 0/1/5 so it doesn't matter if your controller supports it, plus a load of other features such as Wake on LAN, email alerting, SMART tools, DAAP, etc, etc....

Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Display(s) 1920x1080
Power Supply CX650M
You don't have to buy a Windows license to use Windows, as I already pointed out.

Going with Linux is ok if you already have some PC knowledge, but from the sounds of it his friend isn't too computer savvy, so I'd stick with what he knows already, Windows.

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
Or, if you don't need the XP operating system and don't want to fork out £70 for a new Windows licence, you can just bung a Linux distro on there. In this instance, FreeNAS would be the one that jumps out at me - http://www.freenas.org/. You get software RAID 0/1/5 so it doesn't matter if your controller supports it, plus a load of other features such as Wake on LAN, email alerting, SMART tools, DAAP, etc, etc....

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6968938#post6968938

This is a decent guide for xp ;)

Geekoid

You don't have to buy a Windows license to use Windows, as I already pointed out.

Going with Linux is ok if you already have some PC knowledge, but from the sounds of it his friend isn't too computer savvy, so I'd stick with what he knows already, Windows.

This is simply not the case. You don't need any real knowledge to "go with Linux" in this case. Many people already have Samsung mobile phones, for example, and have no idea they are using Linux and don't find it complicated. And have the Windows mobiles caught on? I don't think so. The same goes with FreeNAS - you'll barely see any difference to a commercial NAS system you'd get in any shop. Heck, many of them run Linux too. That makes FreeNAS all the better for people who aren't computer savvy as it is just like a normal NAS. Windows would just be a big no-no in this case, and certainly not an unlicensed one. Things like this happen to pirates - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1557116/unlicensed-users-won-free-windows-security-crutches

Really, FreeNAS - its free and easy. Anyone that can use a web browser can use it. I know, as thats what my home-brew NAS is running. Once its set up, it pretty much just sits in the corner, doesn't need a monitor and I barely even touch it. Its a perfect solution!

Last edited:
System Name GLaDOS
Processor AMD FX-9590 X8 4.7GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 24GB (2x8GB, 2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMINGOC
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD
Display(s) 2 Acer S231HL 23" LED backlit LCD's on a Dual LCD stand
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Corsair Void Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair 850HXi 850W
Mouse Corsair Sabre RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
If it's going to be just a file server, I would just use FreeNAS. I have a client that I built a pair of FreeNAS 8.3 systems for and they love them. Easy to use, manage, and you can run simple file level copies between the two boxes.

Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Display(s) 1920x1080
Power Supply CX650M
This is simply not the case. You don't need any real knowledge to "go with Linux" in this case. Many people already have Samsung mobile phones, for example, and have no idea they are using Linux and don't find it complicated. And have the Windows mobiles caught on? I don't think so. The same goes with FreeNAS - you'll barely see any difference to a commercial NAS system you'd get in any shop. Heck, many of them run Linux too. That makes FreeNAS all the better for people who aren't computer savvy as it is just like a normal NAS. Windows would just be a big no-no in this case, and certainly not an unlicensed one. Things like this happen to pirates - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1557116/unlicensed-users-won-free-windows-security-crutches

Really, FreeNAS - its free and easy. Anyone that can use a web browser can use it. I know, as thats what my home-brew NAS is running. Once its set up, it pretty much just sits in the corner, doesn't need a monitor and I barely even touch it. Its a perfect solution!

OH NOES!!!

He won't be able to run the worst virus protection known!

What a tragedy!:rolleyes:

Give me a break, use a good A/V like Avast, which is free, and the problem is solved.

There is no dis-advantage to using an unlicensed copy of Windows for a file server, the features that are disabled have no effect on the operation of the computer.

However, there are several dis-advantages to running FreeNAS.

You want to install a Web Server?

Easy on Windows, a pain in the ass with FreeNAS.

You want to install a DNLA/uPnP streaming software?

Easy on Windows, a pain in the ass with FreeNAS.

Even just getting to the point where you can install plugins is major ordeal.

Please don't try to say setting up and managing FreeNAS is easy, because that is bull.

And sure, it does offer the same level of convenience and abilities that other NAS devices add, which is shit.

Geekoid

There are, of course, other pieces of free software available, other than FreeNAS - that is just the one that shines.

Last edited:
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Display(s) 1920x1080
Power Supply CX650M
There are, of course, other pieces of free software available, other than FreeNAS - that is just the one that shines.

Yep, it's the best one and it still sucks compared to Windows.