• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does anyone have problems with Asus P67?"

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I mean, I don't suggest that overclcoknig is forgotten, but I do suggest that if you are going to overclock, that you do so fully informed of the potentials for failure, and understand the risks involved. This side of overclocking is not commonly talked about, but it is something I hope becomes more prevalent.

1500 Hours to hand polish a Ferrari crankshaft and failures should be far and few... It would seem that Motherboard makers need to step up their game.

If I blatantly abuse an overclock, I am happy to take responsibility. "Auto", should equate to dummy proof Manufacture "approved", as should XMP. (And I have had not such good luck with XMP on x58 as it really jumps overvolt.)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'd really like to change the thread's title lol

I now realize it's a bit... "apocalyptic".

Should I contact erocker or something?

Yeah, you could. It would take an admin to fix the title, and erocker does have the ability to do so.
1500 Hours to hand polish a Ferrari crankshaft and failures should be far and few... It would seem that Motherboard makers need to step up their game.

If I blatantly abuse an overclock, I am happy to take responsibility. "Auto", should equate to dummy proof Manufacture "approved", as should XMP. (And I have had not such good luck with XMP on x58 as it really jumps overvolt.)

Most "auto" settings are much higher than they need to be for most CPU's needed voltages on most boards.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)

Here is the thing on that analogy...

You are asking that ferrari(cpu) to run past its redline (stock speeds) when you overclock. Intel only goes up to what we call stock speeds. That is intel's limit (outside of turbo). So I dont care if the crank is handblown unobtanium. If its only good to the rev limiter (turbo), its only good to the rev limiter.

Auto settings favor stability but usually add voltage to compensate.

OK,but when you enable it, howcome the actual CPU_PLL voltage doesn't change? You can test this using your MSI boards, or any other board that has read points...CPU_PLL does not change when this voltage is enabled.

It could be current provided. however, i noticed long ago that most boards have PCIe PLL chip, and these chips have two voltage modes...I am jsut as lost as you are with this one.

I mean, I recommend people not use it, because I myself have no idea what it does, and I seem to have a higher-level undertstand of board components than the average user. And with that in mind, not knowing what something does, in any part of life, is dangerous, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.
First, I dont fault that advice at all. If you dont need it, dont use it. But if you want to run balls to the wall, you will need to flip that switch for stability eventually.

Your question is a good one I cannot answer with anything technical. I can GUESS that while its phase Lock Loop, its not the same as CPU PLL. As we both know the other PLL setting I just mentioned if changed will NOT allow you to get past that same hump so there is (obviously) some differences there.

Im pretty confident it does adjust current level limits and that is why it allows overclocking higher. If it really has anything to do with multiplier availability (literally) then one would experience the flashing cursor instead of just not being able to boot in to windows/instability. As I mentioned, its been so long since I played in that area, I dont recall what happens so you could be correct.. anyone want to test? :p

Last edited:
Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
You are asking that ferrari to run past its redline (stock speeds). So I dont care if the crank is handblown unobtanium. If its only good to the rev limiter, its only good to the rev limiter.

Well then they should lock all the cpu's by your analogy...where is the limiter?

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10

I think you can "edit" and go to advanced where you can change the title...

What a frustrating thread to read, I feel like saying "sorry for your loss(es)" :(

System Name gaming system
Processor 2600k @ 4.2 ghz
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright ultra extreme 120 rev.C w/noctua NF-S12B push/pull
Memory 16gb corsair vengeance 2400 c11 @1.5 v/
Video Card(s) GB gtx670 WF3x sli @1080/1372/6660(core/boost/mem)
Storage 2x samsung 850evo 250gb raid 0 ,2tb wdblack, 3TB wd purple
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH, asus VH242t/19" lg 1440x900
Case fractal design r4
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Mouse Razer abyssus
Keyboard corsair k70
Software Windows 10 pro x64
You're not the only one with badluck;)
No p67 though but i wanted to share
I have also board just die on me, these are the chipsets:
p45(p5q-ws, crappy mem controller sometimes it would not start with 2 sticks ram, after 4months oc unstable, ran prime 95 for 6hours and intelburntest 30rounds)
N780i (could not oc at all and mem didn't go higher than 800mhz)
Amd boards shitty mem controller, unstable,don't know wich boards, always on stock shitty cpu, vrm went into flames , on start up

And this is the reason ehy i have a gigabyte mobo atm, some times it bsod'ed , have to search what the problem is

Last edited:
System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Motherboard Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Storage Crucial M4 7mm 256GB
Display(s) 13"
Software Windows 8 Pro x64
A few factors that could have contributed to the death:

"PLL OVERVOLTAGE" set to enabled.

"IMC Voltage(VCCIO)" @ 1.2v or higher

Ram voltage over 1.5v on a kit not designed for SandyBridge(every ram kit is made for specific platforms. Yes, they might work in another platform, but at the same time, if it wasn't on the board's QVL, then you are SOL".

That said, I do have a P8P67 pro, and an extra 2600K. Both are sitting in thier boxes.

This pretty much sums up my experience. My first 2600K back in January died after a few days playing with all the new settings, pretty certain it was the VCCIO over 1.2v that did it (was a Gigabyte UD4).

Since then I've had 4 other 2600K all on Asus P8P67 and Pro motherboards (B2 and B3) with RAM 1.5v everything auto. With those settings I've been crunching 24/7 @ 4.5GHz (1.35v) without any more CPU deaths.

Think you may have gotten a little unlucky though :ohwell:

OK,but when you enable it, howcome the actual CPU_PLL voltage doesn't change? You can test this using your MSI boards, or any other board that has read points...CPU_PLL does not change when this voltage is enabled.

It could be current provided. however, i noticed long ago that most boards have PCIe PLL chip, and these chips have two voltage modes...I am jsut as lost as you are with this one.

I mean, I recommend people not use it, because I myself have no idea what it does, and I seem to have a higher-level undertstand of board components than the average user. And with that in mind, not knowing what something does, in any part of life, is dangerous, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

The "Internal CPU PLL voltage adjustment" is not the same as what is labeled CPU PLL in voltage options in the BIOS. When Intel moved EVERYTHING on die, the cpu pll got moved too.

What is still called cpu pll votage under your BIOS options, refers to teh pll in the PCH. I am trying to get more detailed information for you. Having a little trouble finding the pinout for socket 1155.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Most "auto" settings are much higher than they need to be for most CPU's needed voltages on most boards.

Yep. And I wouldn't really trust what the BIOS/software tells you either, generally speaking.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The "Internal CPU PLL voltage adjustment" is not the same as what is labeled CPU PLL in voltage options in the BIOS. When Intel moved EVERYTHING on die, the cpu pll got moved too.

What is still called cpu pll votage under your BIOS options, refers to teh pll in the PCH. I am trying to get more detailed information for you. Having a little trouble finding the pinout for socket 1155.

I am very aware of the pinout of the socket, and I do probe every board I review with a multimeter to test voltages.

Unless and OEM directly tells you what it does, I think you'll not be offering me any new information.

Yep. And I wouldn't really trust what the BIOS/software tells you either, generally speaking.

Again, this is why I use a multimeter.

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu

I can change the title, if you want it done. Just PM with link and new title.

Agreed. But sometimes its all you have. Some dont own/wont buy a $20 DMM and/or there are no voltage read points (without looking for schematics and breaking out a soldering iron) on most midrange and lower boards.

System Name Games for Breakfast
Processor i7 2600k @ 4.3ghz
Motherboard ASRrock Z77 extreme6
Cooling Cooler Master TX3 Dual Fan
Memory 16GB DDR3 - RipjawsX 1600 1.5v @ 8-8-8-22 1T
Video Card(s) Asus AMD R9 290 4GB Reference PCB
Storage Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB
Display(s) HP 22vx IPS LED
Case Cooler Master Elite 331
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX650 V1
Keyboard CM Storm Devastator
Software Windows 10 64bit
J

John Doe

Agreed. But sometimes its all you have. Some dont own/wont buy a $20 DMM and/or there are no voltage read points (without looking for schematics and breaking out a soldering iron) on most midrange and lower boards.

Notice the right top, easiest way to do it. I had goosenimples taking a pic on this one. ;)

I am very aware of the pinout of the socket, and I do probe every board I review with a multimeter to test voltages.

Unless and OEM directly tells you what it does, I think you'll not be offering me any new information.

Again, this is why I use a multimeter.

Just trying to help you out man.

I understood what you were going for.. please continue if you would (you are welcome to PM me over at OCF if you would like). Im struggling to find technical information that is helpful outside of patent info which is WAY above my head.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Just trying to help you out man.

I know, and I do appreciate the help. Unfortunately, I have done my own research into this, and I found nothing. So, like I said, if it doesn't come from a board OEM, I already know what's in the public domain.

Whitepapers with specifics can be found here:

Volume 1:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/2nd-gen-core-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html

Volume 2:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/2nd-gen-core-desktop-vol-2-datasheet.html

As EarthDog posted, the only variable that makes sense is current limits. You can find this info in section 6/7 on Volume 1.

I was jsut stating that I have spent considerable time researching this, and given the limited info, I feel the only place this info can come from is the board makers, as it seems that it was them that added this feature, and not Intel, seemingly.

ASUS's take:

* Intel PPL Overvoltage ( for increased K series overclocking set to enabled )

Overall in our ongoing internal tests the maximum frequency now achievable ( under LN2 ) is 5.8GHz. At this time we do not have a compiled database to reference improvements in the overall scaling range or new % of CPUs able to hit 50+ multis. With that noted currently we are seeing generally a minimum of 2 multi to as much as 7 multi increases with this value enabled on applicable D2 and retail parts.
Example
A D2 sample with peak multiplier of 44 with PPL option enabled and corresponding voltage applied we have seen results of a stable 50 multiplier now able to post / boot and be held. ( previously without the PLL value the same CPU would failed to compelte a boot with a any multi exceeding 45 )
In addition to the increase of the multiplier range a “side effect” is additional Vcore needed to compensate for maintained post/boot and stability tests. The new voltage level do not align with standard voltage scaling ( on CPU already able to hit / sustain comparable multipliers.
Example
Generally 4.8GHz stability can be achieved at 1.400 – 1.425 Vcore now with PLL enabled D2 parts exceeding their previous max multiplier the increase in voltage would be 1.425 – 1.450.
It is important to note this option should generally only be used with D2 and retail parts NOT D1 parts. Internally we have partial results to indicate degradation of stability at previously reached multiplier values. Some internal testing has shown on limited samples that some improvement is possible (generally in the range of 1 multi possibly 2 )
In addition continued testing with the PPL option enabled and D2 or retail parts have shown some benefits to CStates being disabled when approaching, at or exceeding a 50x multiplier. An important note to keep in mind is that disabling CStates can considerably affect HD performance ( especially SATA6G ) Please keep this in mind when going for the highest level overclocks.

Last edited:
Notice the right top, easiest way to do it. I had goosenimples taking a pic on this one. ;)
Right. You are showing a top of the line EVGA board with voltage read points (I think, top middle?), and a debug LED?

J

John Doe

Right. You are showing a top of the line EVGA board with voltage read points (I think, top middle?), and a debug LED?

Well yeah. lol. Just saying, it has onboard voltage read out so you can do it with an Analog multi by just making the sense touch. :D

LOL.. gotcha.. yeah, DMM/AMM doesnt matter. Just saying that most boards do not have that so software for most people is all they have sadly. BUT most people dont need it.. Auto or not. the voltages are higher usually than if you tweaked manually but there were only a rare few boards in my experience that really worried you about what it set.

J

John Doe

LOL.. gotcha.. yeah, DMM/AMM doesnt matter. Just saying that most boards do not have that so software for most people is all they have sadly. BUT most people dont need it.. Auto or not. the voltages are higher usually than if you tweaked manually but there were only a rare few boards in my experience that really worried you about what it set.

Actually, it does matter. You should use Digital for this kind of application. Analog would have harder time getting down to the 3rd zero point. Analog multimeters are more suited for (example) testing a mechanical engine, where miniscule differences don't matter.

That said, yeah, volts aren't to be worried about at this time and date. Things are solid with mobos like these P67. That 780i I had blew though. It showed 1.20v when I put 1.35...

ASUS's take:
Thanks for that info Cad... now its just a semantics thing sadly. When you said the multi is unavailable, I took it as you cannot select it and successfully boot (meaning get to windows splash screen) with it. You CAN select it, just not get in to windows (but again able to use that multi).

Those multi's are there/available (meaning no blinking cursor), but it just wont boot to windows without enabling it.

And its funny, Im glad I re-read that passage as I was in the process of getting my salt block (one large grain of salt :p) to listen to those people at Asus as they intially asserted that only 10% of CPU's could hit 5Ghz in their how to overclock posts...glad they now think its more :laugh:

Last edited: