• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does graphics card UEFI or BIOS has anything with UEFI and BIOS on HDD?

Mios

I recently bought Aorus RX 570 to replace HD 6570, my motherboard supports both both uefi and bios, my old graphics card is at bios, while this new is at uefi. My hdd is at legacy bios mode... I dont understand a thing so i was wondering if someone can explain it to me..

Thank you :love:

Nope, no difference. No need to worry.

UEFI just allows for more modern OSes to be installed with more security (I think!) and store things like the product code and such. I’d suggest doing a search on Google to read up about it.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
More technically speaking, BIOS is a holdover from the original 16-bit IBM designed Basic Input Output System (Hence BIOS).

It was used until UEFI replaced it around 2012sh (don't quote me on that, may be earlier or later depending on board maker). UEFI is a complete ground up 64-bit rewrite of old 16-bit legacy bios code. Most (all really) UEFIs also include a 16-bit "CSM" module to implement compatibility functions for devices that don't have their own 64-bit UEFI rom code up to date or ready.

UEFI's main achievements are invisible to the end user. But the most visible one is whether you do a legacy or non-legacy "UEFI-style" install. The only real benefit (besides secure boot) doing a proper UEFI install yields you is the ability to use the GPT partition table, which is much more flexible and allows drives over 4TB (vs legacy MBR).

Mios

More technically speaking, BIOS is a holdover from the original 16-bit IBM designed Basic Input Output System (Hence BIOS).

It was used until UEFI replaced it around 2012sh (don't quote me on that, may be earlier or later depending on board maker). UEFI is a complete ground up 64-bit rewrite of old 16-bit legacy bios code. Most (all really) UEFIs also include a 16-bit "CSM" module to implement compatibility functions for devices that don't have their own 64-bit UEFI rom code up to date or ready.

UEFI's main achievements are invisible to the end user. But the most visible one is whether you do a legacy or non-legacy "UEFI-style" install. The only real benefit (besides secure boot) doing a proper UEFI install yields you is the ability to use the GPT partition table, which is much more flexible and allows drives over 4TB (vs legacy MBR).
So i can use UEFI graphics card like RX 570 on Legacy mobo?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Yes the two are unrelated.

For proper graphics card support, check PCIe versions but even those are backwards compatible. Only in extreme situations (very old mobo + new top-end GPU) will that be a problem and even then its just a lack of bandwidth - not a lack of support.

GPU support relies on drivers/OS and the hardware has its own 'firmware' (UEFI/BIOS). Its a very generic piece of hardware and essentially also its own (sub)system on a card.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ

yes, just do it, 'cause now we know that you know that we know that you know you wanna... hehehehe :)