• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does the Radeon HD 4870 support the Media Transfer Protocol?

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
When I was installing the latest Catalyst drivers, there were some options I wasn't familiar with. These were the AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding and the Drag-and-drop transcoding. As I understand it, at least with the drag-and-drop transcoding, you need to have a device that supports the Media Transfer Protocol; I take this to mean the graphics card must support it as well. What the drag-and-drop transcoding allows you to do is more or less literal, in that you can drag-and-drop a media file from your computer to a device and have it automatically transcoded to the format that device supports.

As for Accelerated Video Transcoding, there are a plethora of posts with people concerned why it pops up on startup, whereas the information as to what it exactly is is few and far between. Can anyone explain what AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding is?

Also, does the Radeon HD 4000 series and earlier support the MTP?

Thanks in advance!

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
I read that thread at SevenForums before I posted here. It's one of those "few and far between" threads and it doesn't provide much information. Solar also doesn't cite where he got that information, so it doesn't get me very far. I'm also inclined to believe it's more than just for the browser.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
AVT is part of the old ATI Stream technologies, now evolved into AMD APP Acceleration:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-app/Pages/eyespeed.aspx

Groundbreaking AMD App Acceleration helps you:

Enjoy beautifully rich and clear video playback when streaming from the web
Take in your favorite movies in stunning, stutter-free HD quality
Run multiple applications smoothly at maximum speed
Enjoy lightning fast game play and realistic physics effects

Can't tell what AVT specifically does though.

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
So I was able to find information on one of the questions I had, but I hadn't written here.

APP Documentation

Quoting that page:

ATI Stream Technology is now called AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) Technology.

Now that I know these two items are one in the same, I'm able to move a bit further with what the others are.

AMD Steady Video Technology is not Accelerated Video Transcoding, and is simply another of AMD's technologies, though Steady Video technology is based on APP. To enable Steady Video, you need an AMD CPU paired with at least an HD 6000 series graphics card or an APU. No love for people with Intel CPUs.

EDIT: Lol, thanks TRWOV. I was reading more about it as I was posting this, looks like you beat me to it!

Last edited:
System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Shortly after this thread was started, the AMD APP SDK v2.8 was released. I guess as part of their releasing it, they did some site updates and removed the line about ATI Stream Technology now being called AMD APP Technology.

From a historical documentation point of view it's a less favorable move, but I suppose an expected one as ATI was acquired by AMD some time ago, and a change of branding is only natural.

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Just wanted to add some final information to this.

With regards as to whether or not the Radeon HD 4000 series supports the Media Transfer Protocol:

The Media Transfer Protocol is supported by all Radeon cards since the Radeon X1300.

The MTP, specifically in the case of "drag-and-drop transcoding", is supported by all Radeon cards, starting with the Radeon X1xxx series up through the current Radeon HD 7xxx series.

With regards to Accelerated Video Transcoding and whether or not it affects video playback:

Simply, no. Accelerated Video Transcoding specifically pertains to the GPU's ability to encode and transcode media.

These answers came from a correspondence between AMD and myself.