1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does this Ram upgrade work? or does CL interfare.

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Miracus, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Miracus

Miracus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking to upgrade my Ram from 2GB to 6GB but my original 2GB sticks of Ram seem to no longer be available, my details and questions are as follows.

Current Ram: G.Skill 2 x 1GB DDRII 800mhz CL4-4-3-5 (M/N: F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK)
    Does not seem to be available anymore

Ram to buy: G.Skill 2 x 2GB DDRII 800mhz CL4-4-4-12 (M/N: F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B)

Is it okay to match an extra 4GB of almost exactly the same ram but with a different Cas latency to my current 2GB?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    it is safer to try different brand with same latencies

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    4GB will help mostly when apps request more ram. It does help with games like Stalker as it pages less to the HDD. So when it needs the info it's typically coming from the ram there fore speeding up loading times.

What are the voltages one both sets of ram and speeds ?.. Having these as close as possible can help a lot it just depends some times. All so make sure the new ram is compatible.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there is no problem mixing latencies. CL (cas latency) is the first one, which is matched between those.

When mixing latencies, you must run the system with the slowest settings. so in your case that means it would be the same as having 6GB of 4-4-4-12, which is still quite impressive.

Miracus says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Miracus

Miracus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for your responses guys, and I really appreciate your response Mussels, it was very helpful. It wouldn't bother me to slow my original 2GB down to 4-4-4-12, after all the difference between the two latencies would be very hard to distinguish anyway.

thanx.