• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does Watercooling Suck?

Acer

Ive always thought that watercooling was the next step in cooling, above air. The "enthusiest" solution if u will.

Now, trying to pick the right coolers for my next ultimate-end PC, i see that watercooling is actually not much better than air-cooling at keeping down temperatures.

This, coupled with the headache that u get with trying to set up watercooling, means to me that watercooling kind of well.. sucks.
I mean watercooling is a lot more expensive than air-cooling, its much more difficult to set up, its noisier, there are a lot more things that u have to worry about.. and frankly, if the cooling isnt better, why bother?

VF900 beats Tide Water

CNPS 9500 beats Big Water

My guess is that air-cooling has come so far in the past year that high-end air coolers, like the Tuniq Tower, the Scythe Infinity, the VF900, the HR-03, and the CNPS 9700, have just become a lot better than noisy watercooling.

Now, im assuming that if u have enough money, u could probably get a watercooling kit that will outdo any air cooler.. but then where is price/performance being concearned? I can buy a Tec9 cooler, or a Liquid Nitrogen cooler, or even build my own for that price.

So does anyone agree with this, or have i just been looking in the wrong place for watercooling (it seems to be the only ones that u can find now-adays)?

Thnx for listening.

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
thermaltake water solutions are far away from solutions like dangerden ;)

System Name death machine
Processor intel 6600 quad core cooled by scythe mutgen 2
Motherboard dfi lanparty UT P35-T2R
Cooling air
Memory crucial ballistic tracer 4 gb
Video Card(s) nvida 260 gtx
Storage segate baracuta 500 GB , western digital blue 1TB
Display(s) asus 23.6 vh242h
Case lian-li pc-a70 full tower
Power Supply 650 watt Antec Earth Watts
Software windows 7 and lots of other titles
don't buy a prebuilt one because most of them air is better then them but if u build your own it is a lot better

ktr

thermaltake products in water cooling sucks....really. I have installed 10-12 of them, and all performed poor. I think its due to a crappy water block and/or an inefficient radiator. The cooper in the radiator comes pre-corroded...SWEET!

But the major factor with any cooling is ambient temperatures. Your fan, your radiator, you whatever needs cool air to cool down. The cooler the better. So if you are do H2O, make sure you have the coolest air blowing in to it. That is how achieve you gonna achieve maximum performance, because higher concentration of cold air = higher transfer of heat...

vipercrazy

Processor athlon 64, venice at 2.75, 1.58v
Motherboard asus A8N-32 sli deluxe
Cooling rosewill led tower thing
Memory ocZ 1 gig performace series oc'ed with ratio
Video Card(s) bfg tech 7900gt oc
Storage WD caviar 320gb
Display(s) sceptre 19in widescreen hd ready
Case NZXT lexa
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Hiper type-R blue 580w
Software xp 32 bit
i bought the thermaltake bigwater 735, only because the price was right, everything but the pump needs to be reconfigured, but it comes 3/4 tubing which is fine with me. frozencpu.com makes all your dreams come true :)

System Name beastybuild
Processor 4670k
Motherboard GigabyteZ87X-UD4H
Cooling SR-1 360 and GTX 360 custom, Koolance 380Iblock, swiftech355 &xspc"restop"
Memory 2X4gig G Skill Ripjaw 2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte gtx660ti(OC) windforce
Storage western Digi sata
Display(s) Acer 24 LCD
Case modmantasticca
Audio Device(s) basic onboard
Power Supply Sea Sonic G550m
Software Win 7 Enterprise 64
Benchmark Scores 4.9 stable with mem at 1333 4.8 stable with mem at 2133
Seems the Corsair Nautilus 500 screems at loaded temps evens verses VERY expensive air systems, read a few reviews.

probably because someone hates Acer? Like me.

I hate HP, Compaq, Dell, Alienware, Voodoo, yeah... except all of their laptops.