• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Don't buy a TN Monitor!!! Buy a 32" 1080p LCD HDTV?

System Name BACKTOTHEFUTURE
Processor Stock I7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 BIOS F6
Cooling 4 120mm 1 140mm top fan
Memory 12 gigabytes of DDR3 1333 RAM
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Display(s) HP LP3065 30" Monitor
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DS
Power Supply Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
As somebody who is not going to accept the transition of the PC Monitor market at the consumer level to a TN world I decided to experiment with getting the smallest 1080p HDTV I could at a reasonable price. I purchased this a Newegg. It is called the Scepre X32BV-FullHD. I bought this for use in my bedroom exclusively as a PC Monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112024

I've had personal experience with 2 TN Panel type monitors. A 22" model from LG with prominent backlight bleed on the top and bottom and a 27.5" model from Viewsonic that has moderate panel non uniformity around all the edges. They still look good with gamma adjustments but shadow detail is lost because of lower quality backlights. The actual 6 bit color reproduction looks good but is is the backlights that really are subpar. The LG model has also an annoying dynamic contrast feature that constantly adjusts the brightness to maximize apparent contrast. All it really does is drive you crazy because you see the light shifts as they occur. What a joke.

Anyhow, a lot of TN panels in 24" sizes are approaching the $500 mark so for $600 I decided to go for a 32" 1080p HDTV that has none other than an 8 bit panel!!! What does that mean? It means true color representation of over 16 million colors and a backlight that is much more uniform than an TN panel ever will be. The viewing angle is 178 degrees * 178 degrees compared to the usual 160 * 160 of a TN. When you game in a totally dark room you can't have too much light bleed or light blotches/panel non uniformity because it will distract from the viewing experience.

The Sceptre is a very good PC Monitor. The 16:9 aspect ratio does take a little getting used to after using 16:10 PC Monitors but the shadow detail is much better than any TN and probably average for an 8 bit IPS/MVA/PVA monitor. For $600 you are not going to be getting quad XGA quality like the HP LP3065 but you will get one awesome, huge gaming experience.

In going the HDTV route there are some things to consider. I'm not having any issues with the Sceptres 6ms response time. Frankly I don't care about response time because I've never really noticed any lag in any of the monitors I've ever had.

What is the color gamut? That is a feature that certain monitor manufacturers like to tout in the PC market but I've never seen in the HDTV arena. I have no clue what it is on the Sceptre but higher values are important for more vibrant colors. The color looks good after I up the saturation with my videocard via the VGA connection. I have not tried the HDMI connection yet.

Contrast Ratio? Sceptre claims 2500:1 ratio but it really does not look to be any better than 8 bit PC monitors I've seen at 1000:1.

In short, TN panels suck compared to good 8 bit panels of similar price. Stay away from TN if quality is a concern at all.

christof139

System Name The Red Green Show, it's all CHEAP, incldng. the duct tape etc.
Processor AMD 5400+ Black Ed. @ 3.2GHz and cool, $66.01 incldng. shipping, x-cellent CPU, CHEAP
Motherboard MSI K9A2 CF v1.0, on sale and CHEAP
Cooling Stock AMD HSF with the copper core and plated copper pipes, and the CHEAP red and green case fans
Memory OCZ Gold 800/DDR2, you got it, on sale and CHEAP
Video Card(s) 2 XFired HD 4670, ~770x1140MHz or so, one bought used from a testing/review place and CHEAP
Storage 1 WD 80GB and 1 WD 250GB, both on sale and CHEAP
Display(s) 22" Velocity Micro > 24" Asus VW246H
Case Broadway Com 3045-KA El Cheapo, it has lots of vent holes in its sides with red and green fans
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Live 5.1, CHEAP even when new quite awhile back
Power Supply Broadway Com Corp. Okia 650ATX, ~45A on 2 rails, decent and CHEAP, lots of cables
Software Win XP Pro 32bit, free from work, very extreme CHEAP
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06, 11,794 3DMarks, 2423 CPU, 5078 SM2.0, 6249 SM3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009154

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009154

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009155
Latest and greatest Acer model.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=3749757&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS
This SVA has MVA rather than TN panel.
REVIEW BY: HaTaX Reviewed Aug 25, 2008
Great monitor for the $! First panel I received was DOA, but the second has been great so far. This panel has a MVA type panel in it which is far superior to TN panels, biggest difference being true 8 bit vs 6 bit color on the TN panels. Only complaint is that the backlight is too bright at 500 nits, but if you're a handy ''modder'' then you should be able to take care of that no problem. Cheapest price point for a 24'' monitor with a MVA type screen I could find! As an aside, Tiger direct is an awesome place to deal with, they took care of the entire RMA process and even gave me a shipping label so I wouldn't have to pay return shipping. Top notch service

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4164463&sku=D428-3202
32-inch Polaroid TV.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4173187&sku=S445-D24008

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4210594&sku=S445-D24010

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4016660&sku=W330-2606

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3486473&sku=S197-2402
A Sceptre monitor.

Saw a 26 or 28-inch TV that was nice, but I can't find it now. It was/is at Newegg or Tiger Direct.

Thanx for your input because as you can see I have been compring Monitors vs. TV's and am still undecided.

Chris

System Name BACKTOTHEFUTURE
Processor Stock I7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 BIOS F6
Cooling 4 120mm 1 140mm top fan
Memory 12 gigabytes of DDR3 1333 RAM
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Display(s) HP LP3065 30" Monitor
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DS
Power Supply Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=3749757&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS
This SVA has MVA rather than TN panel.
REVIEW BY: HaTaX Reviewed Aug 25, 2008
Great monitor for the $! First panel I received was DOA, but the second has been great so far. This panel has a MVA type panel in it which is far superior to TN panels, biggest difference being true 8 bit vs 6 bit color on the TN panels. Only complaint is that the backlight is too bright at 500 nits, but if you're a handy ''modder'' then you should be able to take care of that no problem. Cheapest price point for a 24'' monitor with a MVA type screen I could find! As an aside, Tiger direct is an awesome place to deal with, they took care of the entire RMA process and even gave me a shipping label so I wouldn't have to pay return shipping. Top notch service

That is definitely an interesting monitor but I have a few worries. First off that is the first panel I've ever heard of with a full 180 degree viewing angle. That might be a bit overstated. The other thing is that power consumption for such a small display is outrageous. 320 watts for a 24" display is generally terrible. An 800 : 1 conrast ratio is a bit on the poor side. But even at 280 plus shipping the long term cost will be greater than even a $600 HDTV. The Sceptre X32BV-FullHD only consumes 180 watts. If you have the luxury of having a viewing distance of say 4 feet or more than it is a no brainer. A 32" 1080p HDTV will just be a so much better value. Where else can you get 2 HDMI, one VGA, and two component video inputs?

christof139

Processor AMD 5400+ Black Ed. @ 3.2GHz and cool, $66.01 incldng. shipping, x-cellent CPU, CHEAP
Cooling Stock AMD HSF with the copper core and plated copper pipes, and the CHEAP red and green case fans
Video Card(s) 2 XFired HD 4670, ~770x1140MHz or so, one bought used from a testing/review place and CHEAP
Case Broadway Com 3045-KA El Cheapo, it has lots of vent holes in its sides with red and green fans
Power Supply Broadway Com Corp. Okia 650ATX, ~45A on 2 rails, decent and CHEAP, lots of cables
Yeah, you are right, and I am skeptical of the SVA monitor. I'm not getting it.

I just had an interesting experience. I disconnected my DVI to VGA adapter and cable from my sysytem and ran a straight DVI cable to my monitor and my 3DMark06 scores jumped up a wee bit, but the jump of maybe 1% or so may be within the benchmark's margin or error. However, the DVI is noticeably sharper than the VGA.

I posted a link to a nice 32-inch Polaroid TV with several types of IO connections including all that you mention, and irt seems like a decent TV or HUGE monitor. Too big for me. A 26-inch or 28-inch with a decent number and type of IO connections wold be better for me, or simply a good 24-inch or 26-inch monitor.

I would like to see some games etc. run on a decent 32-inch TV though.

Chris

System Name Sample light
Processor AMD Phenom II 965
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Memory 2x 2GB G-skill PC8500
Video Card(s) Asus built AMD/ATI HD4850
Storage 500GB Wesern Digital green
Display(s) too ashamed to tell, but its an acer
Case Lian Li V2000
Audio Device(s) Echo Audiofire 2
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Windows XP pro SP3
i suspect that the jump in 3dmark is becuase the VGA is a analog signal, meaning that all rendered imaged has to pass through the DAC, while DVI is straight interface,

christof139

Yeah, that's what I said may be possible, but it was only a 1% jump so that may be within the benchmark's margin of error etc. I have gotten different benchmarks using the same gfx settings and running the tests back to back. However, I think as you do that the switch to straight line DVI sans DAC may indeed be making a slight difference as the very short time consumed for conversion is being cut out of the variables.

Chris