• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DRAM Light on after bent Pins on CPU :(

niddler

Alright guys so long-story-short I got a new water cooling so I took out the fan cooler that came with the Ryzen CPU and I did something wrong and the CPU came stuck with the cooler and some pins got bent.
I first tried putting the CPU Back but the CPU Light was on.. so the CPU wasn't connected all the way in, so I got the pins in place again, cleaned the pins with alcoohol, and I manage to attach it right back to the motherboard.

The CPU Light is now Off but... when I'm turning on the computer, the DRAM Light is ON and I have no idea on how to fix it.
I tried cleaning the bios and I removed the battery for 10 minutes and put it back but still no joy.

I saw alot of people having this problem due to cpu bent pins, but I would think all the cpu pins are straight enough for it to work. Here's an image of some not align pins: Can this be the problem? If not what?

Any help please? I'm honestly terrified that I screwed the CPU
:(

Last edited:
System Name ASUS ROG STRIX G15
Processor i7-10750H @ 5 GHZ
Motherboard ASUS
Cooling 2 Fans and 7 Heat pipes
Memory 16GB 3200 MHZ Dual channel
Video Card(s) RTX 2060 Mobile
Storage 512 GB Intel 660p SDD
Display(s) 15" 144 HZ 1080p
Power Supply 230 watt charger
Mouse Standard With RGB
Keyboard Standard With RGB
Software Hwinfo
Benchmark Scores Too much for you to handle
Yes it can be a problem when 1 single pin is bent boommm your pc is likely to not work anymore
Do you have any garanty to fall back on (i honestly dont think this is included in garanty)

Its detecting a CPU its sort of a good sign
You Can try to put it back in BUT ITS YOUR OWN RISK

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I saw alot of people having this problem due to cpu bent pins, but I would think all the cpu pins are straight enough for it to work.
The major problem with "stuck" PGA CPUs is not bent pins per-se, but damaged contacts inside the socket after you forcibly tore-off the CPU. Even if your pins were straight after this adventure, you still have a high chance of having bad socket. It's been a big issue since sFM2 and kept on going w/ sAM4 due to flimsy internal contacts and overall cheaper materials. Try straightening those pins with fine-point tweezers, and if RAM issue persists - then the only way to fix it is by replacing the socket on the motherboard.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Get a little razor blade and extremely carefully line up the pins back to where they need to be.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
My guess is that you forgot to lock it, or that it was locked when you inserted the cpu. My brother did that once with a s939 CPU and literally more than half the pins got bent. It worked well for along time after straightening them out.

niddler

Yes it can be a problem when 1 single pin is bent boommm your pc is likely to not work anymore
Do you have any garanty to fall back on (i honestly dont think this is included in garanty)

Its detecting a CPU its sort of a good sign
You Can try to put it back in BUT ITS YOUR OWN RISK

Yeah true but I think its weird that I've seen alot of people havign this same exact error and they manage to fix it just by luck, nothing specific was done.
I'm trying to see if that happens to me..

The major problem with "stuck" PGA CPUs is not bent pins per-se, but damaged contacts inside the socket after you forcibly tore-off the CPU. Even if your pins were straight after this adventure, you still have a high chance of having bad socket. It's been a big issue since sFM2 and kept on going w/ sAM4 due to flimsy internal contacts and overall cheaper materials. Try straightening those pins with fine-point tweezers, and if RAM issue persists - then the only way to fix it is by replacing the socket on the motherboard.

Thats my guess as well, maybe something in the motherboard was damaged but I can't be certain, I'm in no position to spend 100€ in a motherboard and then the cpu is the fault here. Or the other way around. Im not sure what to do

Get a little razor blade and extremely carefully line up the pins back to where they need to be.

I bent all them back, and the CPU attaches right on the socket.

My guess is that you forgot to lock it, or that it was locked when you inserted the cpu. My brother did that once with a s939 CPU and literally more than half the pins got bent. It worked well for along time after straightening them out.

Nop, the problem was that the cpu came right off with the cooler and the latch was closed, so a few pins got bent and maybe the socket got screwed.

thank you all for your replies!

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
I bent all them back, and the CPU attaches right on the socket.
Well, that's an ominous sign of a damaged socket. Not much you can do about it, and the repair will probably cost as much as a decent used AM4 board.
Thats my guess as well, maybe something in the motherboard was damaged but I can't be certain, I'm in no position to spend 100€ in a motherboard and then the cpu is the fault here. Or the other way around. Im not sure what to do
Why 100€? What's your current specs(CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU)?

niddler

Well, that's an ominous sign of a damaged socket. Not much you can do about it, and the repair will probably cost as much as a decent used AM4 board.

Why 100€? What's your current specs(CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU)?

Ryzen 7 2700x
Radeon RX 5700XT
16GB (8x2) G SKILL 3200mhz
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max

I mean, if im 100% sure its the motherboard, its fine for me, I can go and spend 100€ on a new one, the same or maybe a new one, like a ATX Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming for 99€.
The problem is if I switch out the motherboard and turns out its the CPU that is fucked up, then I can't afford spending + 150€ on a new cpu

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
If you are willing to spend 100 euro, you should at least look for something better.
There are some bad-ass options in that price range, especially on a Black Friday week.
If full-size ATX is not a requirement, you can get Gigablyte B550M Aorus Elite, which is definitely few ranks above that boring Asus.
It sells for around 100 euro (locally I can get one on sale for 95).
This will give you a nice upgrade path w/ proper 5000-series support, PCIe 4.0, and slightly beefier and more reliable VRM.

The problem is if I switch out the motherboard and turns out its the CPU that is fucked up, then I can't afford spending + 150€ on a new cpu
As far as I can tell you live in EU, so you should be covered with 14-day return policy.
Same thing could also happen in reverse, e.g. you return that new board and get a CPU instead, only to find out that the new CPU won't work on your old dead board.
Apples-oranges. You've gotta start somewhere to have a working PC.
Before you buy anything - ask your friends if anyone can check that CPU or has a spare one. Or look on whatever your local eBay equivalent is, and get a used bristol ridge APU. I just sold my A6-9500 for $15, used it as test chip in the office for a couple of years. MSI MAX variants didn't cut Bristol Ridge support, so in theory if your board is alive - it should POST.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Memory 32 GB 3600 MT/s CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage 2x 500 GB SSD, 2x 3 TB HDD
Case Phanteks P300A
Software Manjaro Linux, W10 if I have to
Get a known good mobo or CPU to help diagnose the problem component

niddler

Alright just a little update, I gave my computer to a contact of mine which builds computers and he said that its unlikely that the CPU is broken, he says he tried close inspection with the socket and he told me theres a few pins inside that he thinks the gold contacts are not there (they aren't shinning) so most likely the problem is with the motherboard socket.

I'll send this to warranty and lets hope for the best! Thank you everyone!