• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dresden FAB 38 is superior to TSMC

W

wolf2009

Ours is better

We heard that FAB 38 and the rest of AMD’s Dresden fab have far superior production capabilities than TSMC. This hypothetically means that if AMD could produce all its chips inside of its FAB including chipsets and graphics chips.

Intel could easily manufacture its chips in its fabs and you can bet that a science project codenamed Larrabee will also be produced in one of Intel’s many fabs.

As you can see, TSMC is traditionally late compared to Intel’s and AMD’s process transition and 45nm is still no go for TSMC, while Intel manufactures 45nm chips for a year now; while AMD is about to start its first 45nm production.

This trend will remain in the future and at one point AMD might just decide to manufacture other chips than CPUs in its fab, but this mainly depends if there is a capacity left over from CPU production. At one point, it might make sense.

Fudzilla

Please leave a thanks !

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
Didn't AMD consider selling-off pieces of their manufacturing facilities? What happened to that story? I mean, they can’t be in better financial shape right now than compared to few months ago when I heard the story.

I just checked, latest quote for AMD shows they are at $5.58 per share. Ouch! It is a miracle that AMD has the funding to do anything at this point.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Dresden fab is BETTER, but is it CHEAPER ? (to manufacture there)? If not, then it would be foolish to move everything there, given AMD's current financial state.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Didn't AMD consider selling-off pieces of their manufacturing facilities? What happened to that story? I mean, they can’t be in better financial shape right now than compared to few months ago when I heard the story.

I just checked, latest quote for AMD shows they are at $5.58 per share. Ouch! It is a miracle that AMD has the funding to do anything at this point.

lol you're confusing revenue with stock value, what amd has in reserve from revenue has little to do with stock value. also 5.58 us pretty good for amd right now, they're happy to be above 5$ right now.

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
Their operating revenue numbers are not great either and haven't been for a while now no matter how much AMD tries to dress them up. Share values have plenty to do with financial health of a corporation and can have a great limiting factor in overall performance.

And they can't possibly be happy to be just above $5. In their position, at particular moment in time, contrasted with the fundamentals of their competitors, and contrasted with where they were just two years ago? They need all the green they can grab.