• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Driver update fails

Rediixx

So I currently want to update my drivers with NVCleanInstall but everytime I try the installation simply fails, it just says "Nvidia installer failed". This is not the first time I'm trying this tool, the driver I currently use was installed with it too, so no idea why this update fails. I'm only using the recommended components + disable telemetry on installer. Could someone please help me?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming - Bios 3405
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32 GB DDR4 @3800 MHz CL16 (4 x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC
Storage 1x WD Black SN850 1 TB, 1 x Samsung 990 PRO 2 TB, 2 x Samsung 860 1 TB, 1x Segate 16 TB HDD
Display(s) Dell G3223Q 4K UHD
Audio Device(s) ROG SupremeFX 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x SHIFT
Mouse Razer DeathAdder v3.0 PRO
Software Windows 11 PRO 23H2 build 22631.3235
Regardless of what video card you have installed use DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller ) to uninstall / cleanup your current driver.
To do so you must reboot into safemode then run DDU and uninstall the Display Driver.
I assume the reason NVCleanstall is failing is because Windows is installing the default display driver for your Graphics Card before you can run NVCleanstall.

One way around this is to download the latest display driver for your card and then let NVCleanstall build an Install package you can run after cleaning with DDU.
So after cleaning with DDU and shutting down you must disconnect from the internet and then reboot to install the driver created by NVCleasntall.
Then you can connect the internet again and any further driver updates using NVCleanstall will work just fine.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Yeah that's what I would try, too. Do let us know if DDU helped. If you have the time, try if the unmodified NVIDIA installer works (to rule out that it's an NVCleanstall issue)

Rediixx

Yeah that's what I would try, too. Do let us know if DDU helped. If you have the time, try if the unmodified NVIDIA installer works (to rule out that it's an NVCleanstall issue)
Regardless of what video card you have installed use DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller ) to uninstall / cleanup your current driver.
To do so you must reboot into safemode then run DDU and uninstall the Display Driver.
I assume the reason NVCleanstall is failing is because Windows is installing the default display driver for your Graphics Card before you can run NVCleanstall.

One way around this is to download the latest display driver for your card and then let NVCleanstall build an Install package you can run after cleaning with DDU.
So after cleaning with DDU and shutting down you must disconnect from the internet and then reboot to install the driver created by NVCleasntall.
Then you can connect the internet again and any further driver updates using NVCleanstall will work just fine.
Hey guys, thanks for the help. Turns out this had nothing to do with NVCleanInstall and everything to do with me not knowing how to set up correctly a group policy. Instead of telling Windows to not automatically update my AMD drivers via hardware id instead I selected via hardware class, soooo, yeah that was on me. Sorry for the trouble.