• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Driverless car beats racing driver for first time

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Driverless cars now out-perform skilled racing drivers, engineers at Stanford University have shown, after pitting their latest model against a track expert.

The team has designed a souped-up Audi TTS dubbed ‘Shelley’ which has been programmed to race on its own at speeds above 120 mph at Thunderhill Raceway Park in Northern California.

When they tested it against David Vodden, the racetrack CEO and amateur touring class champion, Shelley was faster by 0.4 of a second.

To get the cars up to speed, the Stanford team have been studying drivers, even attaching electrodes to their heads to monitor brain activity in the hope of learning which neural circuits are working during difficult manouvres.

And they have used the results to make a car that can drive even better than expert motorists. They predict that within the next 15 years, cars which can drive with the skill of Michael Schumacher could be driving children to school.

“We’ve been trying to develop cars that perform like the very best human drivers,” said Professor Chris Gerdes, director of the Revs Programme at the Centre for Automotive Research at Stanford University.

“Race car drivers are really fantastic using all the friction between the tire and the road to get around the track.

“Now they are doing that to be fast but the same mathematics holds whether you’re a race car driver trying to go around the corner without going off the track or spinning, or whether you’re a normal driver going on an icy road where you come in a turn to fast and you want to stay in your lane.

“So by looking at race car drivers we are actually looking at the same mathematical problem that we use for safety on the highways.

“We’ve got the point of being fairly comparable to an expert driver in terms of our ability to drive around the track.”

By studying the brains of drivers when they were negotiating a race-track, the scientists were intrigued to find that during the most complex tasks, the experts used less brain power. They appeared to be acting on instinct and muscle memory rather than using judgement as a computer programme would.

“It looks as if the skilled race car drivers are able to control their cars with very little cognitive load,” said Prof Gerdes.

Mr Vodden agreed saying in difficult manouvres experience kicked in. "If you're thinking you're going too slow."

Full article here.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
But how would that car go in a field full of competitors?
I think all the sensors would kick in and it would lose.
But then I wouldn't race against a driverless car, it defeats the purpose of proving you are a better driver than the next guy.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
But how would that car go in a field full of competitors?
I think all the sensors would kick in and it would lose.
But then I wouldn't race against a driverless car, it defeats the purpose of proving you are a better driver than the next guy.

You couldn't compete with other humans, because the AI would never be able to adapt to unknown elements - such as the other driver's red moment of rage as he slams into you purposely.

The best you would hope for is a field of all computer controlled vehicles, but the lack of human passion and emotion would make it uninteresting for most audiences. Sadly, people don't watch racing any more for the racing, they watch it for the soap opera that it's become (coughFormula1cough).

One thing I find interesting is this idea that they would use professional racing drivers as a measurement of public driving capability. I can promise you right now, I drive better on the street than Michael Schumacher does - guaranteed.
I think the idea of non manned vehicles is pointless, whether it's cars, trains, planes, ships, forklifts - they're all jobs that require human input (for better or worse) and they provide employement for humans.

We don't need machines to do these things - and whatever little margin of error they can remove due to the human element, is not worth what we lose overall.

System Name Desktop / Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5600x / Intel i5-4200U
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550-Plus / Lenovo MB
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / Stock
Memory Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR 3800 / 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6900XT / Intel HD 4400
Storage 2.5TB SSDs + 4TB HDD / Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Display(s) 34" LG Ultrawide / 12.5 " 1080p IPS Touchscreen
Case Fractal Design R6 / Lenovo X240
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 1000W / Lenovo 40W
Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Keyboard Dell Business Multimedia Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Chicken Invaders 5 @125+ FPS
You couldn't compete with other humans, because the AI would never be able to adapt to unknown elements - such as the other driver's red moment of rage as he slams into you purposely.

The best you would hope for is a field of all computer controlled vehicles, but the lack of human passion and emotion would make it uninteresting for most audiences. Sadly, people don't watch racing any more for the racing, they watch it for the soap opera that it's become (coughFormula1cough).

One thing I find interesting is this idea that they would use professional racing drivers as a measurement of public driving capability. I can promise you right now, I drive better on the street than Michael Schumacher does - guaranteed.
I think the idea of non manned vehicles is pointless, whether it's cars, trains, planes, ships, forklifts - they're all jobs that require human input (for better or worse) and they provide employement for humans.

We don't need machines to do these things - and whatever little margin of error they can remove due to the human element, is not worth what we lose overall.
Actually in planes 90% of the job is already done by the autopilot (with exception of take-off and some landings) with the pilot just imputing the parameters and pretty soon the pilot will actually not be necessary at all. Some companies actually force a pilot to do certain amount of "on-hand" landings per months as to be trained in the event there is a problem with the autopilot. Advanced "unstable" designs such as the B2 and F117 actually are not flyable without computer assistance. In the latest generation of fighter jets today the maneuverability of the plane is limited by the amount of Gs the pilot can take and not the structure of the aircraft so you can say humans are the weakest link.

Doing complete autonomous trains is possible for quite some time already since traffic is controlled there. The only current issue would be detecting obstacle on the rails but it's not like current human operators can stop in time in most cases anyway. The problem with cars is as you said the unpredictability of other human controlled vehicles and humans themselves around you. Also in all these cases an issue becomes what if the electronics fail but again the same is what if the train operator gets a hearth attack? :) The matter of fact is we as humans fell more comfortable knowing that there is a "trained" human in that cockpit sitting there and watching movies on his company issued iPad :D

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
This is an amazing development in a short amount of time. I'd like to know what sort of computer and software is capable of controlling a car with this performance.

How can you guarantee that you drive better than Schumacker on the street? Got anything to substantiate it? I strongly doubt your claim. If you're making a joke about him being disabled due to that awful accident, then I don't think that's in good taste.

Also, I love driving, but I can also see the place of autonomous vehicles, which have many advantages. In my case, it would really help with any long distance driving, where fatigue tends to kick in and try to make me fall asleep at the wheel. One of my friends only lives 50 miles away, but I can't visit him during the working week because of this. I have to make sure I'm properly refreshed on the weekend and I can't stay too late. Give me an autonomous car and this wouldn't be an issue, plus I could even sleep on the way there.

The case is even stronger when I have to go a very long distance, say 200 miles or so, which I do sometimes when going to a football match with my friends. I make sure they do the driving and that they're up for it.

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
I think its something pretty useful myself..
have seen it a few times on documentaries and there is actually a highway in cali that was used for testing. pretty interesting tech with motion detection for other cars, objects and people.. probably similar but more advanced than automatic parking. the kind of telemetry a heterogeneous apu can get done.. would like to know what they actually use.

Last edited:
System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
When it says "amateur touring class champion" the validity of the entire test is useless.
May as well say it beat an amateur mom, with 3 kids in the car.
Also driving an oval, with high, very visible walls and differentiation, does not impress me at all.

But hey, still better than nothing I guess and a step in the right direction.
I just think the title makes a "grand" claim that is misleading.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Imagine this, people watching AI races and whoever has the best algorithm/AI wins.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
When it says "amateur touring class champion" the validity of the entire test is useless.
May as well say it beat an amateur mom, with 3 kids in the car.
Also driving an oval, with high, very visible walls and differentiation, does not impress me at all.

But hey, still better than nothing I guess and a step in the right direction.
I just think the title makes a "grand" claim that is misleading.

Can you drive that well?

Imagine this, people watching AI races and whoever has the best algorithm/AI wins.

zoom zoom! thats a good idea after you stop laughing about it.. one the questions raised on the subject is how reliable the computer and software will be.

Can you drive that well?

nothing is like driving with a car full of kids.. if there was a school bus with no driver it would get vandalized with washable markers and its poor software would be traumatized..

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
nothing is like driving with a car full of kids.. if there was a school bus with no driver it would get vandalized with washable markers and its poor software would be traumatized..

im sure it isnt. Which is why I bring it up. I mean people with cars full of kids are some of the most dangerous I see on the road. maybe bad parenting. Thats not whats being discussed here. I would like to know why people would make a baseless claim against technology with no proof however. That is what's being discussed. Regardless of what we "perceive" his skill to be a robot just beat a human in a race. thats a crazy technological advancement.

However I understand their are always members that will find some negative and not the point. They are the same type of person that cries about GPU thermals every year.

"har if they gave us a better more powerful GPU why didn't they give us better thermal control?!"

I usually don't notice if a car has kids in it when its allover the road because I hang back but I understand what your saying..

It's a decent article that has a bit to much flare and not enough information.. like what is being done with the other dozen or more similar projects.

pretty simple for the most part compared to others but what is most interesting and possibly unique to this one is studying brain activity while driving.. certainly something they could have elaborated on.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Get a computer to ride a Motogp bike........THEN i'll be impressed.

GO ROSSI 2015

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Guise, I think i found out who the stig is.....

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
How can you guarantee that you drive better than Schumacker on the street? Got anything to substantiate it? I strongly doubt your claim. If you're making a joke about him being disabled due to that awful accident, then I don't think that's in good taste.

Aww I was just about to say that both me and Stephen Hawking drives better than him now.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Meh. What's the point of competition if no person is competing. The thing that makes racing exciting is the human element.

I'm sure this will go a long way with autonomous cars... for people who don't like driving.. Which are people I don't want to know.

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
And they have used the results to make a car that can drive even better than expert motorists. They predict that within the next 15 years, cars which can drive with the skill of Michael Schumacher could be driving children to school.
What a kid being driven to school by a Formula One driver looks like.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Meh. What's the point of competition if no person is competing. The thing that makes racing exciting is the human element.

I'm sure this will go a long way with autonomous cars... for people who don't like driving.. Which are people I don't want to know.

People would still be competing, who has the best code/Hardware.

Mouse Razer Basilisk X
What a kid being driven to school by a Formula One driver looks like.

I can only imagine what happens if you get driven by a WRC driver then... :D (hint: wrc > f1)

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Can you drive that well?

Better actually. My dad was a racecar driver..
You mad bro?
You seem mad..lol..

The point being, regardless that the test is dumb. No real world streets have 12 foot walls and are always an oval. Again, not impressed.
This has all of 0 real world application.

Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Better actually. My dad was a racecar driver..
You mad bro?
You seem mad..lol..

The point being, regardless that the test is dumb. No real world streets have 12 foot walls and are always an oval. Again, not impressed.
This has all of 0 real world application.

In other news , 1 year ago

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
We do that already, it's called Formula 1.

This is an amazing development in a short amount of time. I'd like to know what sort of computer and software is capable of controlling a car with this performance.

Because for thirty years most of his driving is behind the wheel of a race car. Combine with his competitive nature, his mentality with a vehicle is far more aggressive. That doesn't mean he's a maniac, but his skill set lies in a more acute spectrum of experience.

Where as my driving history is 95% public roads as a general commuter - and I am really good at it.

It's true, he MAY have been better than myself, but the point still stands - auto racing drivers are not the best test resource.

Also, I love driving, but I can also see the place of autonomous vehicles, which have many advantages. In my case, it would really help with any long distance driving, where fatigue tends to kick in and try to make me fall asleep at the wheel. One of my friends only lives 50 miles away, but I can't visit him during the working week because of this. I have to make sure I'm properly refreshed on the weekend and I can't stay too late. Give me an autonomous car and this wouldn't be an issue, plus I could even sleep on the way there.

The case is even stronger when I have to go a very long distance, say 200 miles or so, which I do sometimes when going to a football match with my friends. I make sure they do the driving and that they're up for it.

Humans also have the ability to reason, design and construct a plan to prevent or adapt to the example you gave. If you can't stay awake, then don't to the trip in a car.

I'd rather pay someone to drive me, than to let a machine take the wheel while I sleep and hope I wake up alive. Maybe you think a world with autonomous vehicles would be as 'safe' as the skies full of airplanes - but you'd be making a pretty big life risking gamble.

I really don't find this that impressive, if you can calculate the best racing line factoring in conditions and program a computer to follow it obviously it will time faster than a human being because you don't have to factor in human reflexes and timing. A driverless car learning itself the best racing line from a test lap would be impressive, tons of on the fly calculations involved.