• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Drivers Holding Back GTX TITAN-Z Launch

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Most drivers have some level of smoke and mirrors put into them to make them sound better than they should. Nvidia and AMD are both guilty of this and in actuality it becomes more of a whose pulling the least amount of wool over the peoples eyes.

As far as drivers go, neither side is better than the other especially now a days. I had people constantly say AMD/ATI drivers were bad in the past and heck I had even not been a big fan of the cards back then. I ended up buying a pair of HD 6990's finally to give AMD a try and have not had a problem since. Most of the problems people have with any graphics card I feel is all in their heads or just a state of mind. If you get told something is better, your more likely to believe or see something that is not there and see it being better even in situations where performance is equal. Either way, neither company has problems most of the time (Of course there are exceptions) and in all honesty any choice is good at this point.

As far as Titan-Z drivers, I highly doubt much of any increase will come from this if at all to still justify it. No matter what, at the end of the day its still just a pair of underclocked Titan Blacks in SLI.

I'm pretty sure you didn't even game on those 6990s because many of the people I know that had multiple 69xx series cards, me included, had so many nightmares with crossfire that was enough to jump ship.

Hell, even Dave which has always rejected to buy Nvidia, now has a Tri 780ti array.

Can't tell for R9 series but I can tell you that up to 79xx series AMD CFX was utterly broken, especially in eyefinity.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I'm pretty sure you didn't even game on those 6990s because many of the people I know that had multiple 69xx series cards, me included, had so many nightmares with crossfire that was enough to jump ship.

Hell, even Dave which has always rejected to buy Nvidia, now has a Tri 780ti array.

Can't tell for R9 series but I can tell you that up to 79xx series AMD CFX was utterly broken, especially in eyefinity.
Umm im pretty sure I did because I played BF3 in eyefinity on them and a few other games (Crysis 2, Arma, etc). I did not get them when they first came out so maybe there was an issue, but I never had one when I used them except in Far Cry 3 (Which turned out later to be Windows 8's problem and not the cards).

I never played games on an 7XXX series because I never bought any of them for myself so I can't judge on that other than seeing others (Including a friend who had a tri-fire 7950 setup in eyefinity that works just fine).

My R9 290X cards have had 0 issues other than a problem with BF4 Mantle which was BF4's fault.

As far as ive used, besides a few games missing drivers for CFX, I have never had an issue with an AMD card CFX setup. Same of course I can say with Nvidia products and I would have had GTX 590's had it not been for newegg messing up my order.

Last edited:
They might have been waiting for proper SST 4k support? That's something that would have been a show stopper for reviewers. Seems strange though to wait until ~24hrs. before release to pull it if they knew they didn't have proper SST driver support.

As far as people having issues with drivers in general. There is also more tolerance given if we "like" something, and less if we are apprehensive to begin with. When I read where people say something like, "I knew I never should have bought (insert brand). I owned one in 1994 and they were crap then. They've always been crap." I agree with them, they never should have bought it. The other side is if someone likes a brand or product they are often willing to overlook subtle flaws. When I was a kid my dad owned an XK-E roadster. He loved that car. It didn;t matter that it leaked oil a bit and you had to dismantle and clean and sync the carbs every couple of weeks, he loved it anyway.

Last edited:
System Name Cooler GTX660
Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Cooling Aero Cool
Memory Cosair 8GB Vengance 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX660
Storage 1TB 2x500GB RAID 0
Display(s) 26 inch Samsung 1920 x 1200
Case Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) Onbord Realtek
Software Windows 8.0 64Bit
This is marketing. It's not real. The 337.5 drivers were supposed to give another huge boost as well. Think about it, we would never need new hardware if every driver release gave double digit increases.

In some instances it is true that the numbers wont be what most people will get, but that's it the are many variables that play a role in the performance you get, think about it games patch, even the OS itself, ram configuration, CPU.
you will find people saying I have xxxx motherboard, xxxx cpu, and xxx gpu, and I am getting errors in games xxx and xxx I had to rollback my drivers, but another person who has the same xxxx motherboard, xxxx cpu, and xxx gpu says "installed with not problems", this means what AMD/NVIDIA show the maximum theoretical performance that can be gained.
its like Wi-Fi speed never expect exactly 350Mbps ;)

In some instances it is true that the numbers wont be what most people will get, but that's it the are many variables that play a role in the performance you get, think about it games patch, even the OS itself, ram configuration, CPU.
you will find people saying I have xxxx motherboard, xxxx cpu, and xxx gpu, and I am getting errors in games xxx and xxx I had to rollback my drivers, but another person who has the same xxxx motherboard, xxxx cpu, and xxx gpu says "installed with not problems", this means what AMD/NVIDIA show the maximum theoretical performance that can be gained.
its like Wi-Fi speed never expect exactly 350Mbps ;)

Those aren't general numbers either. They are % only pertaining to games they took the time to optimize on.

PC Perspective got burned by just that. One of there podcast the guys were making fun of Ryan for believing Nvidia marketing of the DX11 optimize driver.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 64GB (2 x 32 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Jen-Hsun Huang is sure trying to spin the Titan-Z news. Excerpted from a May 19 CNET interview:

In other gaming topics, there are reports you killed or delayed Titan Z, your new high-end GPU.
Huang: No, no, that's silliness.

So it's still on time?
Huang: Yeah.

$3,000 is a lot of money for a GPU. What do you do to make sure that for someone who buys it, it's not irrelevant two or three years down the road?
Huang: In fact, most of the customers that buy Titan Zs buy it every year.

Do you anticipate that happening even with the $3,000 pricing?
Huang: Yeah. And the reason for that is the people who buy Titans and Titan Zs have an insatiable need for computing capability, graphics computing capability. So either they got tired of using just a 1,080p monitor and they just bought a 4K. My Titan all of a sudden's not enough. For a 4K monitor, a $3,000 to $5,000 monitor, I need something bigger to drive it. So that's Titan Z.

Last edited:
Jen-Hsun Huang is sure trying to spin the Titan-Z news. Excerpted from a May 19 CNET interview:

In other gaming topics, there are reports you killed or delayed Titan Z, your new high-end GPU.

So it's still on time?

$3,000 is a lot of money for a GPU. What do you do to make sure that for someone who buys it, it's not irrelevant two or three years down the road?

Huang: Yeah. And the reason for that is the people who buy Titans and Titan Zs have an insatiable need for computing capability, graphics computing capability. So either they got tired of using just a 1,080p monitor and they just bought a 4K. My Titan all of a sudden's not enough. For a 4K monitor, a $3,000 to $5,000 monitor, I need something bigger to drive it. So that's Titan Z.

Well, I've seen spin. That's pretty common and acceptable marketing in this day and age. Straight out lying though, is different. Everyone knows beyond anything Huang can deny that Titan-Z is delayed. Why didn't the interviewer call him out? They know when the original NDA was up and the original planned release date was, why don't they just look at him and say, "We know that isn't true. Care to rethink that last statement and try again?"

He does understand his market though. The people who buy Titan and Titan-Z don't hold onto their cards for years (for the most part). They are like iPhones, as soon as a new one is out they have to have it.

The $3000 to $5000 4K monitors must be the ones he's planning on adding Gsync too and charging double for. :D

Also, too bad for him that his cards aren't the best for these ultra hires monitors.
/rant.

Sorry, I find his attitude really annoying. Can't argue with his ability to market his product, his company, and himself, though.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016

So it's still on time?

So they are using the excuse of charging this much as saying people who buy those products will buy it every year? So what can we infer from that, they are going to drop support for a 3k card after just a year to get people to buy the next one (sarcasm). A bunch of "attempted" damage control if you ask me.

System Name Cooler GTX660
Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Cooling Aero Cool
Memory Cosair 8GB Vengance 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX660
Storage 1TB 2x500GB RAID 0
Display(s) 26 inch Samsung 1920 x 1200
Case Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) Onbord Realtek
Software Windows 8.0 64Bit
Wow good marketing abilities, but what can I say won't be buying it rather buy Titan or Titan Black if I were to have the money, but even if the Z was $3500 the would always be people who will buy it
I am that Jen-Hsun Huang is aware that the price tag is too much.

He must have a time machine or did we miss Titan Z releases in the past ?

Interesting he thinks people who buy a 1080p monitor which can range form $99-$400 at the most will jump to a $3k-$5k monitor and purchase a $3k GPU yearly.

This makes me think Nvidia went into pharmaceuticals and Jen-Hsun Huang is self testing.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
This makes me think Nvidia went into pharmaceuticals and Jen-Hsun Huang is self testing.

LOL. He's just testing the human stupidity on how many idiots can pay for his ridiculously overpriced stuff.