• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DRM, the discussion continues...

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It's my opinion that the majority of people pirating games are people that are too poor to buy them anyway so DRM used like Denuvo where a game usually can't be cracked quickly isn't going to force those people to buy the game. Here in the West we take it for granted that we have large amounts of disposable income for entertainment but a lot of the world doesn't.

Does not having money to purchase a game give you a right to pirate the game? I've been thinking about that quite a bit, and I always reach the conclusion that it doesn't.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Does not having money to purchase a game give you a right to pirate the game? I've been thinking about that quite a bit, and I always reach the conclusion that it doesn't.

No, it doesn't give them the right. Stealing is stealing no matter what the reason but I wanted to make the point about DRM that it won't force poor people to buy the games because they can't afford them in the first place. DRM just isn't that effective at all unless it really does force people who can afford to buy the games to buy them because they are too impatient to wait for the game to get cracked but no one knows how many that is. You can't even compare a game's sales to a previous one like RDR2 to RDR1 or GTA V to GTA IV because the new game has more sales but is it just a better game? Marketed better? There is no proof how much more income a Publisher is receiving by using Denuvo.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
Only when it stops me from enjoying my game. Take Mass Effect for example I can no longer play my legal copy because I'm out of activations

Only when it stops me from enjoying my game. Take Mass Effect for example I can no longer play my legal copy because I'm out of activations
In that situation, the developers have unlawfully denied you access to something you have lawful claim to. EULA's may have wording to certain disclaimers, but standing legal code that has been validated countless times is simple; You paid for it, you have the right to use it, as you see fit, within the realms of personal use. In this case, you have the legally protected right to to remove any limitations to access what you've paid for. So if you were to find and apply a third party "patch", you are well within your rights to do so, regardless of any limitations declared in a EULA. This is not piracy, it is modification to restore lawful access.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
i already got around it, same as i did with Crysis and spore, EA really had a phase there of 5 activations and you can never play agian

i already got around it, same as i did with Crysis and spore, EA really had a phase there of 5 activations and you can never play again
They and others had little choice but to get rid of that policy over liability concerns. They realized they could and would get sued(and lose) if they didn't stop, so they did.

Last edited:
System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
This video talks about DRM's performance impact on lower end hardware and even talks about CDProjekt's history and their stance on DRM.

CDPR competes with piracy rather than trying to prevent it. And it's clearly worked very well for them. If you make a quality product that is worth buying, then people will buy it.

He also talks about game preservation, broken regional pricing, and different copyright laws in different countries.

On a similar note, finding out that the Epic Store has no built in DRM was enough for me to fully accept it. Now waiting for Outer Worlds to go on sale so I can buy it (hopefully) DRM free.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
i already got around it, same as i did with Crysis and spore, EA really had a phase there of 5 activations and you can never play agian
They also put out a whole line of “De-authorization” tools for a number of games. The purpose was for those that didn’t properly uninstall a game (like if a hard drive failed or the OS corrupted and you reinstalled it). This tool then put those activations back so you could install again. You can still find them at EA, or at least could 2 years ago.

They also put out a whole line of “De-authorization” tools for a number of games. The purpose was for those that didn’t properly uninstall a game (like if a hard drive failed or the OS corrupted and you reinstalled it). This tool then put those activations back so you could install again. You can still find them at EA, or at least could 2 years ago.
While that was a positive step, I don't think they're available anymore.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
While that was a positive step, I don't think they're available anymore.
That’s a shame. I didn’t know if they were still available since I hadn’t needed them. I still have a number of them on a storage drive on my server. Talk about saving useless data! :laugh:

Last edited:
System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Another annoying run-in with DRM...

I bought Fable 3 on Amazon (since you can't buy it through Steam anymore) and got a Steam code. Installed the game and tried running it, and I got a black screen.

Did some reading and it turns out that Fable 3 has Games for Windows Live, which was shut down in 2014.

I had to download a file that bypasses that DRM, and now the game works. It's still a messy PC port, but it works now.

It's sad that in order to play a game I legally purchased, I have to bypass one of the broken DRM systems that "protects" it.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
It's sad that in order to play a game I legally purchased, I have to bypass one of the broken DRM systems that "protects" it.

Unfortunately thats just one of the downsides. I remember hearing a similar story about an old Disney game - Back in the days when Disney did their own games or partnered with publishers that actually cared about the quality of their games.

Guy installed the game but couldn't play it because whatever network/server the DRM used to authenticate no longer existed and hadn't in almost a decade if not longer. He fired off an email to Disney and they sent him back some boilerplate response thanking him for his purchase, his interest in Disney and the particular game franchise but they currently had no plans to bring the game back but maybe they will one day if there was enough interest. -- typical PR response.

If you bought and own the game - then just download a crack for it.

In this day and age - Publishers hate when their games dont have kill switches. Battlefield 3 and 4 (and BF1) has been one of the biggest of thorns in BF:V's side and thats why EA were so reluctant to have a server rental programme with BF:V - They dont want people to be allowed to keep hiring servers from private hosts when EA calls time on it.

EA/DICE said they would have server rental almost a year ago and from what i can see, Nothing has come of it. I doubt they will do anything about it now though since sales of the game have been so bad.

Activision however did something very smart and made their CoD games P2P based after CoD4 - If nobody is playing the old games - you wont be able to get into a multi-player game and even if you do, your lag could be absolutely horrific because the host youre trying to join is from halfway across the world.

They made the game this way so they could frustrate the hell out of you enough to buy their newer game where all the fun is happening. Nothing is stopping you from playing the single player campaigns though.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Such a shame to kill off an old game just to get you on to the new one... EA even went after the guys that were keeping BF2/2142 going...

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
If you bought and own the game - then just download a crack for it.
Hahaha, there is sweet poetry in the fact that DRM's give paying customers an incentive to support the pirates that the DRMs exist to foil. The only difference is that now, people still have to technically pirate the game they paid for just to play it. Whereas before, people would just pirate games to play them for free. So it's like they're telling you not to bother paying in the first place. One might think "Why bother paying just to get screwed later?" It's like they got together and asked each other "How do we take even MORE value away from the player?" :laugh:

I'm torn... piracy is kind of to blame for giving companies a reason to lock down more, and then presenting them an opportunity to lock out paying customers for sales. They wouldn't have the idea to use it nefariously if not for feeling a need to adopt it to protect lost sales. But it's also one time where I can somewhat accept it as a form of protest against anti-consumer practices. Not buying is a protest in itself. Going through the motions to circumvent the lockdowns is like that second middle finger to their practices. Not advocating for anything here... just strange times, really.

Last edited:
For a company to effectively sabotage users abilities to run software they own/have paid for is a violation of statutory rights. Users therefore have the lawfully protected right to modify their software to function as they need regardless of the wishes of copyright owner. Such is specifically not piracy.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
For a company to effectively sabotage users abilities to run software they own/have paid for is a violation of statutory rights. Users therefore have the lawfully protected right to modify their software to function as they need regardless of the wishes of copyright owner. Such is specifically not piracy.
I don't know the specifics of what you're talking about, so I won't comment on that. But assuming that is 100% true... there would still be some difficulties in making meaningful use of that, unfortunately. Very limited scope, basically leaving users to crack their own games with time and know-how they may not have. Also goes back to reducing value. If those are the hoops you pay to jump through, that's still a huge problem. I personally would rather not support it at all than begrudgingly crack my own games. I don't feel better about it knowing it's somewhat allowed. It's not enough, you know?

For instance... this may protect legitimate users from legal recourse born of using cracked exes/dlls and whatnot, but not so much the people who provide the cracked files to those users. It's not like pirate uploaders care if the downloader owns the game or not. They still don't have the rights to openly distribute those files, right? So they can still be pursued and shut down. And if they can still go after them, the net outcome doesn't change for the end user, save for the few who are able to make and retain their own cracks for themselves, I guess. DRM makers and game distributors can still use the former as the reason for having these locks in place (and then abuse them without a care in the world.)

If they're going to continue implementing wonky DRMs and shutting out paying customers, there will always be a demand for people to break the protection and openly distribute the files to paying and non-paying users alike. Even if they were verifying ownership it still wouldn't be kosher. Legitimate customers then seek these files out, keeping the whole thing going and potentially spreading all sorts of malware. The whole thing is still broken, regardless of whether legitimate users are legally entitled to bypass DRM.

In a sense, they prop up the very situation they claim to be circumventing with these measures. We all know the pirates will never capitulate. It's like a sport for them. So what's left of DRM, then? That's where the issue stems from with me, more than anything. It doesn't work and in fact feeds the pirate ecosystems built around cracking them, while also removing value from the product for paying customers. It's a net loss. Doesn't matter if people have the right to crack the software they've paid up on for their personal usage.

Last edited:
System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power