• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Drobo B1200i SSD Refresh Dramatically Boosts Performance

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Drobo, makers of award-winning data storage products for businesses and professionals, today announced a refresh of its flagship Drobo B1200i. The new B1200i SSD boosts performance by up to 300 percent over previous versions of the product, fueled by Drobo's patent-pending automated data-tiering software and the unique hybrid use of solid state technology alongside traditional hard disk drives (SAS or SATA). The B1200i SSD is ideal as primary storage for up to 250 users or as Tier 2 storage and backup for departments in larger organizations. Existing B1200i customers can upgrade to the new performance and functionality via a free software downloaded here.

The unique ability of the B1200i SSD to automatically utilize a small number of SSDs alongside hard disk drives (HDDs) allows customers to enjoy the best of both -- the capacity of hard drives and the performance of SSD technology -- in a single economical storage system. Traditional storage systems configured with only one of the two can leave customers no option but to purchase multiple systems in order to meet their performance and capacity needs.

Customers who use Drobos in their business environments cite monetary savings of more than $12,000 and time savings of more than 200 hours per year, compared to industry alternatives such as Dell and HP, the two vendors customers most often compare to Drobo. An easy-to-use calculator comparing the estimated savings the Drobo B1200i SSD delivers at various performance and capacity needs versus industry alternatives is available here.

"The Drobo B1200i SSD is simple, cost effective, and it works," said Dan Long, MIS director at Branch Manufacturing in Minnesota. "Drobo storage has all of the things I look for, and for a small business, it was easy to assemble and tune plus was a cost-effective solution for my environment."

Certified and Validated with VMware and Other Industry-Leading Solution Partners
The Drobo B1200i SSD has attained VMware Ready status with vSphere 5.0 certification. The Drobo B1200i SSD fills the urgent need for higher performance to support VM density without sacrificing capacity and allows for users to instantly add performance acceleration with the introduction of SSDs alongside hard disk drives. Detailed examples of B1200i SSD and VMware solution configurations can be found on the VMware Solution Exchange (VSX) here.

In addition to offering a wide range of primary storage solutions and use cases in Microsoft, VMware and Citrix environments, the B1200i SSD is also used in data protection solutions supporting Veeam, Acronis and Symantec backup and replication. Cloud backup with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and others is also supported. Full details and how-to guides for all solutions are available here.

Independent Validation Cites Exceptional Performance and ROI
The ESG (Enterprise Strategy Group) Lab performed hands-on evaluation and testing of the Drobo B1200i's ability to support real-world SMB applications. The lab report noted that the new B1200i SSD "easily scales to over 1,200 Microsoft Exchange mailboxes, achieved exceptional response time results for mixed, real-world workloads, including email plus file serving plus online transaction processing (OLTP), and proved strong streaming performance of nearly 300 MB/sec for data protection, video on demand, and other capacity-oriented applications."

Complete validation reports and reviews of the B1200i SSD can be found here.

Enabled by Patent-Pending Technology
The underlying technologies that allow the enhanced Drobo B1200i SSD to reach these new levels of performance while retaining Drobo's ease-of-use and affordability are BeyondRAID with Automated Data-Aware Tiering. These patented and patent-pending technologies are explained in a comprehensive white paper and video here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
all for the entry level price of '$17,999'

I have the 8 bay Synology 1812+, got it last month and added 8 2tb drives. Only $1050 with overnight shipping from Amazon. Add 2 5 bay extenders.
So for a price comparison
8 bay box $1050
2 5 bay boxes $1100
add 18 4tb drives $321 at Bestbuy down the street from me. $5,778

total for this setup $7,928
You now have around 60-65 TB on your system for storage. Beat that with this solution for over $18k. I'll stick with the Synology for now.

Not to mention Drobo is one of the worst companies when it comes to reliability (Google it). When something goes wrong (which it does, frequently), their proprietary systems ensure that your data is taken hostage unless you fork over lots and lots of cash. I don't know why these companies still exist, honestly. :shadedshu

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not to mention Drobo is one of the worst companies when it comes to reliability (Google it). When something goes wrong (which it does, frequently), their proprietary systems ensure that your data is taken hostage unless you fork over lots and lots of cash. I don't know why these companies still exist, honestly. :shadedshu

Too many SMBs without a strong IT department (one that does more than just support).

A tech that earns his keep would provide a $6K solution that outperforms this Drobo.

sartoph

These guys mad? You can get a 16 bay QNAP for less than half that price and it supports a 10Gb nic.