• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Drop ALT Mechanical Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Drop builds upon the strong feature set of its CTRL keyboard with the 65% form factor ALT keyboard. It is rich in hardware and software customization options and has improved side lighting and portability options for those looking for a premium small form factor keyboard.

Show full review

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I don't like that exposed switch design but I'm happy to see they finally decided to drop the price.

Reactions: VSG

logicisntforyou

I have the higher profile version and it's a very nice keyboard. Replaced stabs and did the band-aid trick. Coupled with some u4's and the keyboard is a dream to those who like a silent experience.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I have the higher profile version and it's a very nice keyboard. Replaced stabs and did the band-aid trick. Coupled with some u4's and the keyboard is a dream to those who like a silent experience.
What stabilizers did you go with?

System Name Battle Station
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix x570-I
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 240
Memory Crucial DDR4-3200 32 GB
Video Card(s) 1 x Gigabyte RTX 4090
Storage Adata 1Tb NVME
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey
Case Hyte Y60
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX + Ultrasone Pro 900 + JBL SLR 308 speakers and SLR 310 subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair SFX 750W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard The rabbit hole of custom mechanical keyboards
Software Window 10 Ultimate x64
This was my first entry into the rabbit hole of mech keyboard. It needs new stabilizer since the one included is terrible. Also pcb foam is recommended to reduce the pingy hollowness that this board has.

System Name Main / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X / Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Strix B550i / B450i Aorus Pro
Cooling Lian-Li Galahad 360 / Wraith Spire
Memory Corsair LPX 2x16 3600MHz / HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE / ARC A380
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB / Sabrent Rocket 256GB
Display(s) Acer Z301c / 39" Panasonic HDTV
Case Corsair 2000D / Cougar QBX
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V379 / Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Corsair SF600 / BeQuiet SFX Power 2 450W
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Drop Sense75 with WQ Studio Morandi's
VR HMD Rift S
Software Win 11 Pro 64Bit
Last edited:
Drop's overall keyboard offerings were decent value when they started off, but I think their entire line is in need of a revamp, with their old fashioned low profile cases, north facing LEDs and really old PCB designs with no support for PCB-mount stabs. The low-mid end of the customs market is now full of decent options with a good amount of variety compared to Massdrop's, especially with the new wave of affordable hot-swap options from the likes of NovelKeys, Caps-unlocked, Idobao, TKC, KBDFans and others, it's getting harder and harder to see the value proposition from these. It's going to take more than just a few additional colours and fancy underglow RGB LEDs for them to remain competitive in my opinion.

I think Drop has been on somewhat of a downhill trajectory ever since they dropped (heh...) the majority of their communities and exclusively focus on keyboards/audio. The site lost a lot of what used to make it great. These days I just think of them as a place to get cheap(ish) Sennheiser headphones and MT3 keysets, and I'm really not certain how long they can stretch that business model.

logicisntforyou

Great speech and all but obtaining these other keyboards is next to impossible unless you happen to be on the website as they come back in stock. Last time novelkeys or kbdfans even had full kit keyboards in stock everything was sold out in a matter of hours beyond colors very few people want. Group buys are ridiculous if you're in need of replacing a keyboard in a reasonable time frame. The last one I got in didn't end up shipping for 7 months. I had forgotten I even ordered it by the time it arrived. Just look at ebay or the mechmarket and how insanely overpriced any keyboard is that allows a better experience than the gaming and office keyboards best buy offers.

I won't argue they're not worth the price and I would of never gotten mine had I not got it for a very steep discount. But it is a good keyboard, just not at the right price point. Some of your nitpicks are things even the high end boards don't even have regularly. Drop hasn't been good since they changed their name from massdrop. The majority of what they sell can be found elsewhere for cheaper and often times able to be shipped within a day instead of months.

I don't disagree with you, but I do know a lot of the vendors are steadily working towards continually stocked products (at least on the entry-level devices), and some have achieved that now. GMMK and IDOBAO now have constant availability of their GMMKP/ID80, both supporting QMK/VIA. KBDFans continually restocks their non-GB boards pretty frequently (KBD75/TOFU84 kits constantly available pretty much always for the last couple years, KBD67 and D65 are restocked and available to buy as of this moment, and I think the KBD67 Lite should also be restock at some point this year. I also know for a fact that Caps-Unlocked should be moving towards constant retail availability of their CU kits next year.

No matter which way you slice it, I still think my original points stands, Drop really needs to revamp and update their keyboard product stacks because they are outdated and not that compelling.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Both of you are agreeing with Drop needing to update its keyboard lineup, so I suppose that's a peaceful agreement?