1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dropped iTouch in toilet!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sasqui, Apr 20, 2009.

1. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Stop giving Apple ideas !

itoilet, iflush, ipee ...

2. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    YES! 1 down, plenty to go!

3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Your coworker shouldn't have tried to start it right after. Things like that can be dropped in water and be just fine if allowed to dry out. But obviously when it gets dropped in water and they start something up that is electronic it's going to pop.

Hopefully it gets figured out though, those aren't too cheap.

4. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I do not have any advice or smart comment, just wanted to say: :laugh::roll::laugh::roll:

This thread has me cracking up pretty good. :p

5. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha I have a similar story, I had a crappy LG flip phone and jumped into the pool with it twice before I realized it was in my pocket. After using a hair dryer for a while and then shaking it a bit, it still wasn't working. Since it was really cheap I stuck it in the freezer for about 30 minutes for the heck of it. It worked for another year after that.

6. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    once you get it apart clean all the parts with Denatured Alcohol and let it dry. The alcohol will pull any moisture out of the board and solder joints. After that you may want to give it a once over with a heat gun to reflow and contact points just be careful how hot you have your settings.

7. I only know how to open and change/repair the P1i..

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    opening up any normal phone is easy,long as you got the right screw drivers =p opening an ipod etc is impossible because apple are crazy genius people who don't like people to open their products up so they get the idea of sending their product back to them to get repair for super high price xD

9. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I took a swim with my BlackBerry Curve for a good hour. I put it in my oven at the lowest setting (removed the battery and SIM) and the phone has worked fine ever since. Been almost a year now. This is like the 10th time I've done this...I have a habit haha.

10. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I recall there is something like 16 clips that hold the casing together. I did cellphone repair for a long time soo its not that hard for me to take a phone apart but the ipods are a pain...

11. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    i've opened up my K800i,K810i and a nokia phone,which was pretty easy because i had a T6 screw driver =p

12. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I dropped my zune in a sink and it still worked, the battery was super dead and I just let it dry completely and it worked, but if they;'re battery had even a tiny bit of juice in it it fried lol

I did the same thing with a psp lol

but from what i have seen cheap stuff can usually withstand water but more complex stuff won't

13. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got one here.

I had to drive 4 hours to start a job. I got there and had to take a piss. It was winter and I had a hole in my coat pocket, anyways took a piss and leaned over to flush, no sooner then I pushed handle down my cell phone fell in. Gone just like that. Two days later my company called they had to pay a plumber to come out and replace toilet and they got my phone.:laugh: Wondered if I wanted it back.:D

Sad thing is I just upgraded. That dam piss costed me 400.00 :banghead:

14. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Grab yourself a handful of dessicants (you know the kind that come in shoes, or electronics and have the "do not eat" warning... like I wanted to eat the white bag that came out of my new pair of shoes :)

Then take a ziplock bag and drop the item in the iTouch in the bag with the dessicants. Place in a warm place (in the sun on a window ledge works well) and wait about 1 or 2 days. The dessicant should completely dry out the item.

I have resurrected several cell phones using this technique. Works wonders.

DrPepper says thanks.
  15. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Well, here's how it turned out (so far...)

His wife bought it for him as a gift from Best Buy. Being a woman, she bought the 3 yr extended warantee plan :rolleyes:. He's bringing it in at lunch today.

I told him under no cirmcumstances to tell them what really happened. Just say it "stopped working".

Thankfully, there's no poo on it. :laugh:

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  16. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah imagine trying to explain that...... :roll:

17. chuck216

chuck216

Thanks Received:
    I saw this topic and thought "That's an appropriate place for a piece of $#!+"

18. FilipM

FilipM

Thanks Received:
    I dropped a flashlight in the toilet once. I was gonna do something on the PC, thought id go to the toilet first and it just fell off my hands right in there. LOL

Good luck to him repairing it

19. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    So... Here's an update.

He brought it to Best Buy and they took it for a replacement. The clerk told him they didn't have any Gen I's available, so they'd have to sent it out. He'll likely get a refurbished unit.

Meanwhile, someone else told me most cellphones have a strip of fluid sensitive paper inside that changes color when it gets wet... so hopefully that's not the case. He wife did buy the 3-yr extended warrantee but who knows what it really covers.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU