• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

No that error should not be happening, I'm afraid I am not sure of the cause as its the first time I have seen this error (has not happened to me yet).
Try uninstalling the app, and using 7-zip as admin go to: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ and delete DTS.

1622484481899.png
1622484607853.png

----

I also have Z906, for about 8 years on Creative X-Fi, with DTS DCH, they totally come to life like never before.

Last edited:

mihaiak

Thank you for the idea, alas it did not help. I tried multiple times to reinstall, both the apps and the drivers. (with driver removal, App uninstall and 7Zip browsing the APPS folder, DriverStoreExplorer deletion of any DTS related stuff, Registry check with CCleaner). Still the same outcome.
I will go back to 6.0.9155.2 and recheck on a later updater.
Keep up the good work.

Odd, sorry. I will look into it. Did at anytime you use the force delete feature in the DriverExplorer app?

Edit: I actually cant think nor find a reason, the software decoder is totally separate from the driver.
Are you able to play DTS-MA digital encoded audio over analogue?

====

1.png

I'm guessing at codecs, trailers: DTS Trailers - The Digital Theater

====

DTS DCH 6.0.9159.1 (Signed, Rebuild), previous edition (.2) above plus final changes.

Ultra spatial modes can be used with (aggressive) or without (average) Sound Unbound, with improved response.
Stereo modes are now as instant as multichannel modes (without E-APO), no delay.
Improved overall playback quality, and headphone performance.

>> [Updates will be every 1-2 months] <<

----

1.png2.png
3.png4.png
5.png6.png

Neo-PC for SPDIF [SFX, Pre-Mix]: {3CF95BBE-E76D-411C-A25C-BC94B072840E}

Last edited:

mihaiak

Hello,

While on 6.0.9159.2 I did test the dts-sound-unbound-callout-11.1-lossless.mkv and hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_5_1_lossless.m2ts
The sound goes where it should (surround) when on digital, just that Unbound gives the video playback error for DTSX. My guess is that it still decodes the "DTS Interactive" (as selected in the "default format"), but without DTSX. Not sure if that makes any sense.
As mentioned, I've reverted back to 6.0.9155.2, which works as expected (see attachment). I will ditch my "obsessive" way of staying updated this time. :D

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    964.6 KB · Views: 119
So strange, I am sorry I am not sure what the cause is. I did just check the other digital output, that's working too.

1.png
2.png

----

Edit: I found a potential cause, but I am not 100% sure as I am not effected. I will pack the change with an update in case its the previous edition.
I will do [6.0.9160.1] this time round, but after this I am unable to make any changes that I added that would effect it.

I also have no further improvements to both DTS and Realtek, so further updates are really not important.

----

Added 'Fixpop Tweak.reg' to the main folder, which adds a special SSTPPCfg setup I modified, the key is not normally preset, nor how I set it.
Simply double click the file to add it to your registry, run 'DTS Full Reset', then restart your computer.

All start-stop popping caused by DTS-MFX will be 88% gone, I will email DTS soon.

----

So I emailed DTS with everything I found, and how I fixed it, I also explained how I got Ultra and Sound Unbound on SPDIF, HDMI and DiplayPort.

1622631954759.png

DTS Sound Unbound FAQ - DTS

Last edited:
The command in the image below tells E-APO to ignore 6 channel input and upmix left-right (stereo) to all channels. YouTube and some games output 6 channels, but populate only 2 with audio.

Upmixers (such as the default below for E-APO) detect the number of channels in a stream, if it detects 2, it upmixes to the extra channels.
In the case of YouTube, some apps and games, the upmixer will detect 6+ channels, and then not upmix.

1622695754531.png

Ahhh, gotcha. I thought you meant that there was a way for E-APO to detect silent channels. Eg, if Chrome always outputs 6 channels but only uses 2, E-APO will notice the dead channels and treat it like 2 channels.

As it is, unless I'm badly mistaken, using If: inputChannelCount == 2 or inputChannelCount == 6 will upmix the stereo channels for ALL 2 or 6 channel content, discarding/ignoring channels 3/4/5/6.

To avoid this I'm redirecting all such apps to VB-Cable to force them into stereo before E-APO does its magic.

No it cant detect them as silent, only as present. Nice workaround with VB, noted. I have used VB in the past to force Ultra to detect multichannel on HDMI-SPDIF, currently the service fixes it.

BTW I sent DTS the email, I hope they fix the MFX rapid start-stop pop (I spam .reg file to play sounds rapidly, and it pops).
Its the only issue to fix for me, its has to be done by DTS or anyone able to modify the APO .dlls.

Yeah I ended up donating to get the full set of VB-Cables, instead of just the free ones (you get more freebies with Voicemeeter).
Screenshot_2.png

Haven't installed C/D though as I don't need them yet. If you want multichannel you need to use Voicemeeter's virtual input.

Ever since I followed your silent loopback trick I've had no speaker popping, so I'm a happy clam right now.

The Realtek console still looks fugly but I very very rarely open that so it doesn't matter.

I actually found that trick a while ago, but I was still building the driver and responding to feedback, I removed it as part of what I though was causing an issue.
I'm actually going to add it to the driver's main .inf file, so if anyone is getting an issue with please let me know now, so I don't add it.

Once DTS fix it, the code will be just a bonus, but of coarse still active for any future issues.
The panel is ugly to me too, although I rarely open it, lol.

====

Realtek driver: 6.0.9172.1, is available but I am passing (not bothering), Realtek release driver edits to often, I am only interested in the DTS updates, no changes currently.

----

FLAC.png

----

Fixpop Tweak updated, I intend to make these changes to the main driver file, please report any negative effects.

Last edited:
So I will be doing an update that includes the tweak, I also will be adding a few more edits, instead of 6.0.9160.2, I will include the updated Realtek files.
I will do this shortly, be aware it requires full testing and feedback, although I have not received any complains about the tweak.

----

DTS DCH 6.0.9172.1 (Signed), as above, includes the tweak, and a few edits. I left 6.0.9160.1 in the main folder, in case you get an issue.

----

Turns out its probably not DTS that's the issue that causes the pop with a rapid audio start-stop, I removed all of it earlier to test.
Reading the source driver forum, various people are saying the same, where they also have this issue.

Likely its a Realtek issue, so we will have to make do with the suppression tweak for now.

Last edited:
Turns out the pop noise is being produced by Windows, I removed all audio drivers, with Windows default driver, and enough volume, same start-stop pop.
I reformatted the drive and restored a fresh Windows 20H2 with no drivers or software, same start-stop pop (using .reg file to make sounds).

If I switch over to Lubuntu, I get perfect audio, no start-stop pop. So in short, I cannot fix the issue, only suppress it.

Edit: I will try a fresh install of 21H1, and then post results.

----

I did however find a cleaner way to install drivers, right click uninstall in 'device manager', tick delete driver, pnputil remove extension.
In 'device manager' again, in 'system devices' disable 'High Definition Audio Controller', restart, install, enable.

1622981702539.png

Last edited:
System Name FireBreather
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard CrossHair Extreme x670E
Cooling Asus RoG Strix LC2 360 AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 1.40
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Taichi
Storage 3x- PCI-E 4.0 Nvme 2TB 7GB/s - 2TB N7 USB-3.1 Nvme 1GB/s
Display(s) ASUS - VG259QM 2k 280hz HDR - LG-C1 4K 120hz OLED with Dobly vison
Case ROG Helios
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX ALC4082 codec, and an integrated ESS® ES9218 quad DAC
Power Supply HX1500i - 1500Watt
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores Time spy - 29000 Port Royal - 17500 Cinabench R23 - ST = 2150 MT = 40000
Turns out the pop noise is being produced by Windows, I removed all audio drivers, with Windows default driver, and enough volume, same start-stop pop.
I reformatted the drive and restored a fresh Windows 20H2 with no drivers or software, same start-stop pop (using .reg file to make sounds).

If I switch over to Lubuntu, I get perfect audio, no start-stop pop. So in short, I cannot fix the issue, only suppress it.

Edit: I will try a fresh install of 21H1, and then post results.

----

I did however find a cleaner way to install drivers, right click uninstall in 'device manager', tick delete driver, pnputil remove extension.
In 'device manager' again, in 'system devices' disable 'High Definition Audio Controller', restart, install, enable.

View attachment 202949
hi there im new around here been useing your drivers for a while i to am haveing issues with dts decodeing with latest drivers windows will no longer decode any DTS HD or MA or DTSX tracks even tho i have license just like the above user this was working fine in past builds not sure why seems to be a spidif issue also cant use any spacial settings with spidif i have done full clean install and dts reset and none have worked i cant even open the dts audio processing app any more it just force closes as soon as you open it if you go to windows settings and try to set DTS Ultra for spacial sound it just gives you an error and resets its self to off and yess even with pop fix still get the popping as well.

Last edited:
System Name FireBreather
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard CrossHair Extreme x670E
Cooling Asus RoG Strix LC2 360 AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 1.40
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Taichi
Storage 3x- PCI-E 4.0 Nvme 2TB 7GB/s - 2TB N7 USB-3.1 Nvme 1GB/s
Display(s) ASUS - VG259QM 2k 280hz HDR - LG-C1 4K 120hz OLED with Dobly vison
Case ROG Helios
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX ALC4082 codec, and an integrated ESS® ES9218 quad DAC
Power Supply HX1500i - 1500Watt
Mouse Corsair Dark Core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores Time spy - 29000 Port Royal - 17500 Cinabench R23 - ST = 2150 MT = 40000
im on 6.0.9172.1 on a Realtek S1200A over spidif

the version that worked for me was 6.0.9147.2 but i had crashing issues so i had not tried to update since around that time i kinda jumped to these last 2 updates so idk if a latter one might have been working as well

Hello! Please make Driver Pack with Waves and Intel SST Bus and Intel SST Drivers! Many Thanks

DTS DCH 6.0.9172.1 (Signed, Rebuilt)

Added an alternative inf, for ALC's that don't work well with programmed SPDIF and HDMI interface associations (some chips have bugs, and-or issues).
Enabled mode specific preset equalizers, changing modes with ultra is more noticeable, updated the configuration properties.

If you prefer another driver version, the Ferather preset, DTS presets and updater can be found here.

----

Here is a much cleaner way to install-update the drivers, right click uninstall in 'device manager', tick 'delete driver', pnputil to remove the extension (see post 1).
In 'device manager' again, in 'system devices' disable 'High Definition Audio Controller', I have two and its the first one, restart, install, enable.

1.png

----

Some example bugs-fix options you can find in the policy editor (some chips have bugs).

2.png
3.png
1623257727940.png

====

Currently I am looking at an HDMI extractor (eARC specs), the audio from my AMD R7 GPU (pretty old) is miles better, and 0% lag with DTS:X.

Item Type: HDMI Splitter
HDMI I/O Resolution: Maximum support 4K/60fs
HDMI Maximum Video Color Formats: Support for 2160p, 10/12 bits, 24/25/30hz,2160p, 10/12 bits, 50/60hz
HDMI Audio Formats: Support for DTS-HD/Dolby-TrueHD/LPCM7.1/ DTS/Dolby-AC3/DSD
SPDIF Digital Audio Format: Support for Dolby Digital (AC3)/DTS/LPCM
Maximum HDMI Transmission Bandwidth: 600MHz
Maximum HDMI Transmission Speed: 18Gbps
Input/Output TMDS Signal: 0.5~1.5 Vp-p (TTL)
Input/Output DDC Signal: 5Vp-p (TTL)
DAC Sampling Frequency: 32 ~ 192 KHz
DAC Bit Rate: 16~24 Bit
RCA Analog Output (1KHz@0db) : 1V RMS
SNR@0dB (CC1R/ARM) : ≥90dB
Distortion: ≤0.1%
Frequency Response: 20HZ~20KHz
HDMI Input Cable Length: ≤3m/9.8ft AWG26 HDMI standard cable
HDMI Output Cable Length: ≤3m/9.8ft AWG26 HDMI standard cable
Maximum Operating Current: 400mA
Power Adapter: AC 100-240V 50/60HZ,DC 5V/1A
Working Temperature: -10~+55℃
Storage Temperature: -20~+60℃
Working Humidity: 10~90%RH (No condensation)
Storage Humidity: 5~95%RH (No condensation)

Pretty much full spectrum specs, only missing a multichannel DAC for 5.1-7.1 to 5.1-7.1 analogue, only lossless stereo DAC.
90dB is about enough that it should never clip, although my ALC889 is 108dB, it does not matter.

====

So, abruptly start-stopping audio generates a pop, this turns out to be completely normal. The Windows .wav files do the same on my phone and Lubuntu.
I did find a free VST, although a little tricky to setup the data, it does work really well to cleanup bad audio. I also found a few others.

To remove the pop, I will need to fade audio in-out with around 2-4ms timer, this should cutout the pop.

--

Removing Background Noise with Equalizer APO and Reaper's ReaFir – Antlion Audio
How to reduce background noise using Equalizer APO? - sourceforge.net
Best Free Noise Reduction Plugin to Use (Even if You're a Pro)

====

@antonkaz, hmm, I don't have an Intel to work on, sorry.

Last edited:
I dont have an Intel to write and test the Intel variant, the only thing I can do is send you a pack that will add DTS:X to pre-existing drivers, although you need enter settings manually.
I have not fully tested the package, and don't really have time at the moment to write an install guide. In short you install it then add effects to the device.

Once installed you need to add the DTS SFX, MFX, EFX to your devices 'composite' effect lines. No guide included, as mentioned.

EDIT (Link Updated): https://easyupload.io/cm47i5

Last edited:
I dont have an Intel to write and test the Intel variant, the only thing I can do is send you a pack that will add DTS:X to pre-existing drivers, although you need enter settings manually.
I have not fully tested the package, and don't really have time at the moment to write an install guide. In short you install it then add effects to the device.

Once installed you need to add the DTS SFX, MFX, EFX to your devices 'composite' effect lines. No guide included, as mentioned.

Intel SST Bus Drivers and Intel SST Multimedia Controller Driver Archive from Dell or Lenovo please include in your Driver Pack. Thanks You Ferather

If I do it wont be anytime soon, It takes time to re-write a driver, and as mentioned I am unable to fully test it.

====

1.png

====

If you have CPU spikes on machine startup, this is caused by Sound Unbound and third party HDMI-DP devices. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
I rarely use my GPU (Monitor) as an output device, if I do I can only use headphones due to the monitor limitations.

Disable the output point in Windows settings (not the device in device manager), the issue will be gone.
If you intend to use HDMI-DP, even with the ultra mod, enable it after startup.

1623321980582.png

Last edited:

Evo82

Hi Everyone! New here I'm trying to do the install. When I double click on the installer ... I get prompted for Main Driver or Alternative? [M/A]

I'm not sure which to select. I'm W10 21H1 My Audio chipset if I understand correctly is S1220A (Link to my motherboards spec page)

Thanks I'll continue to skim the forum and see if I can find the answer.

Hi Everyone! New here I'm trying to do the install. When I double click on the installer ... I get prompted for Main Driver or Alternative? [M/A]

I'm not sure which to select. I'm W10 21H1 My Audio chipset if I understand correctly is S1220A (Link to my motherboards spec page)

Thanks I'll continue to skim the forum and see if I can find the answer.
Okay I see that the Alternative is for ALCs that don't work well. Is there a list of known ALC that should use Alternative or is more of trail and error?

Bit of trial and error, some chips (and sometimes Windows) have bugs, I suggest main first, check SPDIF playback in sound unbound, if it plays you're good to go.
Else your chip (or Windows) does not like the settings, you should then use the alternative, it will make SPDIF more generic, but should work.