• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

System Name Snk3 PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 3
Cooling CM Hyper H410R
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT Gray 2x8GB 2666MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
Storage Crucial BX500 SSD 240GB + Western Digital HDD 3TB + XrayDisk NVME 256GB
Display(s) TCL 40S6500FS
Case Sharkoon TG5 Red
Audio Device(s) Logitech G933 AS Snow + OneOdio A71 + Samsung HT-C550
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Logitech G603 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
Software Windows 10 PRO 21H1
If you go to advanced and select Dolby from the drop down, it should take you to the store page to download Access.
Thanks, I own the license and have it installed already, still can't set in HDMI audio config, when I choose it does nothing or show "not supported". For now I done, I'm using it through optical cable from my Xonar DX.

@Ferather bro can u make a DTS extension again pls, so i can add that to my existing driver. My windows was corrupted so the extension which u gave was deleted too.

Edit: Your driver doesn't work properly on laptop (headphone doesn't get detected), its ALC285.

@Snk3, very odd, not sure what the problem is there, on my HDMI and AMD it works, as well as Realtek SPDIF, good to know you have it working on SPDIF.
I'm guessing everything else is working on HDMI? Windows can be stupid at times, and even break its self after a fresh install.

Could be drivers, I get problems with Windows and using EDID drivers, I dislike HDMI with video for audio only.

----

Note: SPDIF is as good as HDMI 1.4, except it can do up to 125mbps in bitstreaming (HDMI is ~37mbps). My AMD with 1.4, and ALC 889 SPDIF can process up to 6 x 192khz (1,152khz).
HDMI 2.0 can process up to 8 x192khz (1,536khz), this is the same as my ALC analogue direct, 8 x 192khz, this is PCM processing, not bitstreaming.

If SPDIF had the same level of multichannel output support as HDMI (which it can), it would be superior (and was before 2.0).

In terms of PCM, if SPDIF was updated slightly along side the multichannel programming, HDMI would be almost redundant for audio only (optical is immune to many things).

----

@Bryan Ü: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...eractive-for-most-devices.283932/post-4551127 (equivalent to extension).

I might have forgotten to update the signature catalogue, if you get a fail to install driver, let me know.

Last edited:
System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
@Ferather , do you have an HDMI to SPDIF converter you recommend for trying multichannel SPDIF?

HDV-MB01 | Audio Converter-Shenzhen HDCVT Technology Co.,LTD

Currently due to programming, to output multichannel on SPDIF, it must first be encoded to Dolby or DTS. SPDIF has not had proper support in a very long time.
The HDV-MB01 has a stereo downmix option for LPCM (+ PCM), it's used in cases where 5.1 is not supported by the receiver (most are 2 channel).

In terms of PCM, you can go no further than the total aggregate sample rate, SPDIF and 1.4 is 1,152, max is 6 x 192, or 8 x 96.

HDMI Audio Formats
(Pass-through)
LPCM 2/5.1/7.1CH, Dolby Digital, DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X
Optical Audio FormatsLPCM 2CH, LPCM 5.1, Dolby Digital 2/5.1CH, DTS 2/5.1CH

Both my ALC and the extractor can send Dolby Digital+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X | via SPDIF, using WASAPI exclusive.
The extractor needs WASAPI exclusive 'event driven' to sent the above formats, my receiver makes identical noise (cannot decode).

Even if the receiver supports the current lossless formats, if you read the manual, it wont on SPDIF (failure to support it).

Lead.png

At this time, DTS Interactive is mildly better than analogue direct.

====

Note to OEM's, If you are going to add SPDIF to your receiver please don't use the 1983 standard as reference, please use the full current standard.
If you are having difficulty, it should very possible to simply add a Toslink module to the HDMI portion of the receiver.

1633371144491.png
1633373713482.png

108 x 48k (124.4mbps) = 5,184 total aggregate samples, max speed Toslink (nothing goes this high).

1.png

Transcoding: PCM> Audio Processor> Encoder> Bitstream.

Last edited:
System Name Ghost Spectre Asus ROG Z390F Gaming
Processor Intel Core i3 9100F
Motherboard ASUS ROG Z390 F Gaming
Cooling Corsair LL120 RGB LED PWM Fan's
Memory 32GB 3200er CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB
Video Card(s) Geforce GTX ****
Storage Seagate Barracuda and Sandisk SSD combinated RAID 0 Striping
Display(s) Two Samsung Displays (1 Digital Tv and 1 older Analog 2ms gaming Monitor) + Smart Tv
Case Rare Oldschool NZXT LED Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) Creative IRoar Rock with Subwoofer & Logitech Z906
Mouse Hyrican RGB Set
Keyboard Hyrican RGB Set
Software Ghost Spectre's Modded Windows 11 & much more stuff
Benchmark Scores Not tested yet
@Snk3
Heyho,

You need to activate max. 8-channel's + codec-support (which already is supported by your monitor) with a EDID-Editor like CRU 1.5.1
And if i remember me right it strictly requires a clean setup with the "Microsoft Audio Home Theater Effects".

im not 100% sure for its the thing with Edid-editor or FX-config or even both but this was realy simple fixed!
- Attached everything you need.

CRU (EDID Editor)
Requires: Very important before use CRU please patch your monitor with the attached ATI/AMD pixel clock patcher. [a harmless patch but note that can cause bad boot problems if it's got changed some EDID settings without them patched.]

Then with CRU or any other Edid Editor which can import *.dat files, be sure to pick the right monitor and import the
hdmi-bitstream.dat with HDMI 1.3/1.4 or the hdmi2-bitstream.dat for HDMI 2.0/2.1 cables, depending on your used one,
for the Surround/5,1 and 7.1 channel layouts + the audio codecs

[Notice it's still possible to select Dolby Atmos for home theater but HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 DONT! Supports the playback of Dolby Atmos for home theater Bitstreaming because a missing E-ARC(Enhanced Audio Return Channel) and only Supports max. the Dolby Digital bitstreaming which have a 5.1 channel layout and max. the Digital Plus E-AC-3 Codec playback which is supposedly works with Dolby Atmos/Access but realy dont know how to set-up them correctly with E-AC-3.

FX CONFIGURATOR
if installed modded driver packs or changed your FX you need to extract and run attached FX-Configurator (with launch.bat),
also like in CRU pick the right monitor at the top from the dropdown list
then press the "Product Config Tool-Button",
load the included one preset and press "Apply Effect and Processsing Modes Configurations"

After a reboot it should work to set it up and save changes without any Error

Hopefully this helps,
Good luck bro!

Sources=

CRU:
MonitorTests-Forum

FX Configurator: Puresoftapps-Blogspot

(fixed/patched version by Ferather.)

Attachments

• atikmdag-patcher-1.4.12.zip
    51.8 KB · Views: 123
  • cru-1.5.1.zip
    530.7 KB · Views: 133
  • FX Configurator.zip
    813.1 KB · Views: 185
Very nice, thanks for the info and post. I did not touch home theatre, although there was a key I did remove.
HDMI unfortunately is issue prone and Windows adds insult to injury, pretty typical.

1633441374482.png

Edit: I got 'Dolby Atmos for Home Theater' with just 6 channels.

----

I have attached EDID tools, please be aware Windows can crash when loading EDID drivers.
Install and use 'Moninfo' to clone-save your chosen EDID to a binary file.

Once done use 'Moninfo' again to load the binary, and create a driver.

You can also edit the registry for the EDID, using the tools.

1633455534278.png

Last edited:
System Name Ghost Spectre Asus ROG Z390F Gaming
Processor Intel Core i3 9100F
Motherboard ASUS ROG Z390 F Gaming
Cooling Corsair LL120 RGB LED PWM Fan's
Memory 32GB 3200er CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB
Video Card(s) Geforce GTX ****
Storage Seagate Barracuda and Sandisk SSD combinated RAID 0 Striping
Display(s) Two Samsung Displays (1 Digital Tv and 1 older Analog 2ms gaming Monitor) + Smart Tv
Case Rare Oldschool NZXT LED Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) Creative IRoar Rock with Subwoofer & Logitech Z906
Mouse Hyrican RGB Set
Keyboard Hyrican RGB Set
Software Ghost Spectre's Modded Windows 11 & much more stuff
Benchmark Scores Not tested yet
@Ferather
I can also only say thank you for your absolutely great and really complex work so far. I know exactly what amounts of experience are needed there! especially since the audio modding scene is unfortunately still very, very small and people like you naturally ensure that the scene grows.:rockout:

@Ferather
I've been using your driver now for ~6 months. I used the same driver over all the time without updating. Because.... it just simply worked.
Now, after Windows messed up the driver (I dunno how, but it changes the excluding of driver update policy on its own and installe dthe newest realtek drivers), I was forced to install your driver again.
Now I'm on your newest version. I've also took this to install the Equalizer APO for the first time with your actual preset.

And holy smokes....
Kudos. Your work is just fantastic. It works and the sound is better then ever.
YouTube Vids or stereo music files are now in such fantastic quality... I can't thank you enough for your hard work.

Keep it up! This is modding at it's finest.

Thankyou, and remember I don't make the technology, DTS do, please buy a Sound Unbound license so they can continue their work and updates.

I'm still trying to work on the USB-Virtual unlock I had previously, I am still not 100% sure why it worked at this time.
I do remember a large series of issues and CPU spikes, so it may have been a bug that made it work.

There is some potential with the service, although I am still working to find a way.

Technically speaking, you should be able to use 'Stereo Mix' to output from Realtek to USB, using the listen to option.

====

Info for OEMs:

1633531126023.png
1633531169084.png

As you can see the ALC 889 chip (2008) does 9.2 mbps as standard, this is enough to cover both Dolby Digital+ and DTS-HD HRA.
Both of the above formats go no higher than 6.144 mbps, you could even add extra metadata with 3mbps spare.

Now in terms of modern Toslink modules, its 20mbps to 125mbps (depending on what you add).

JIS F05.png

----

In terms of encoders for SPDIF and HDMI, either 10mbps or 20+ can exist. Note, DTS Interactive works on any SPDIF-HDMI (1509kbps).

Edit: You should also consider FLAC, and its bitrate.

Last edited:
@Ferather
Uhm ok. I recently observed a weird behavior from my receiver. It does not stay on, although, as before, I activated the stereo upmixer as you described. I don't quite understand that right now...
The LED for DTS is on, but after a while the receiver turns off :(

Thankyou, and remember I don't make the technology, DTS do, please buy a Sound Unbound license so they can continue their work and updates.

I'm still trying to work on the USB-Virtual unlock I had previously, I am still not 100% sure why it worked at this time.
I do remember a large series of issues and CPU spikes, so it may have been a bug that made it work.

There is some potential with the service, although I am still working to find a way.

Technically speaking, you should be able to use 'Stereo Mix' to output from Realtek to USB, using the listen to option.

====

Info for OEMs:

View attachment 219712View attachment 219713

As you can see the ALC 889 chip (2008) does 9.2 mbps as standard, this is enough to cover both Dolby Digital+ and DTS-HD HRA.
Both of the above formats go no higher than 6.144 mbps, you could even add extra metadata with 3mbps spare.

Now in terms of modern Toslink modules, its 20mbps to 125mbps (depending on what you add).

View attachment 219714

----

In terms of encoders for SPDIF and HDMI, either 10mbps or 20+ can exist. Note, DTS Interactive works on any SPDIF-HDMI (1509kbps).

Edit: You should also consider FLAC, and its bitrate.
How to use DTSX with motu sound card

Is that when then there is no audio playing for a while?
Exactly. With the previous driver from you I've used, it prevents from turning the receiver off when no signal is played. But now it does turn off.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-07 145628.JPG
    Screenshot 2021-10-07 145628.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2021-10-07 145558.JPG
    Screenshot 2021-10-07 145558.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 74
@Kabal81
I will look into that, my Z906 does still turn off after a while with no audio on SPDIF with Interactive and Stereo Mix, however this has always been the case since I purchased them.
I would guess it not turning off was actually a bug, possibly one contained within the Realtek driver its self, not sure how to replicate it with a silent stream.

Sorry off the top of my head I cannot actually think of an explanation or possible ability to change it at this time.

Some people get a bit of noise on some receivers when audio starts if the encoder is not currently active. This is the reason for 'Stereo Mix'.

---

@dododo
If the motu sound device is an HDAUDIO device, you need to use the DTS Settings and apply the FX and data needed.

1633622568320.png
1.png
2.png

Then see this video, to fully apply the changes.

Last edited:
@Kabal81
I will look into that, my Z906 does still turn off after a while with no audio on SPDIF with Interactive and Stereo Mix, however this has always been the case since I purchased them.
I would guess it not turning off was actually a bug, possibly one contained within the Realtek driver its self, not sure how to replicate it with a silent stream.

Sorry off the top of my head I cannot actually think of an explanation or possible ability to change it at this time.

Some people get a bit of noise on some receivers when audio starts if the encoder is not currently active. This is the reason for 'Stereo Mix'.

Thanks for the explanation. Basically, it's not that bad. It's just annoying. For example, you watch a video on YouTube, pause for a while and then want to continue looking, but suddenly you don't hear anything because the receiver has switched itself off in between.
This doesn't happen with the standard Realtek driver, at least I've never seen it.
If you could come up with a solution for this, that would simply be a great thing in terms of quality of life :)

Edit:
I got more information about my receiver and read that switching off is a feature of my receiver. It switches to stand by as soon as there is no signal for 15 minutes. Unfortunately, this cannot be switched off on the device itself.
You would have to send a kind of ping via Toslink at least every 14 minutes so that the receiver stays awake. Annoying problem.
So it's not your driver.

@Ferather

I think I found a solution. The point is that we need a kind of continuous signal, but it is not audible so that the receiver always remains active, i.e. neither goes into stand-by nor that its decoder becomes inactive and a crack can be heard with the next signal.
So I thought about how to generate such a signal. The solution is pretty simple:
I just plugged a 3.5 cinch cable into line-in. Every cable produces a very low static noise, which I now put on the output, just like with the stereo mix.

The result:
The receiver remains on and no longer switches to standby.
The decoder remains active and does not produce any cracking noises when a signal arrives again.

The settings can be seen in the pictures.
I still have the level from the exit at 100%. Although nothing is audible, I will lower it over time until I have found the threshold to switch off. This will only take a while, since my receiver has an automatic at 15 minutes XD

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-07 225250.JPG
    Screenshot 2021-10-07 225250.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot 2021-10-07 225340.JPG
    Screenshot 2021-10-07 225340.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot 2021-10-07 231213.JPG
    Screenshot 2021-10-07 231213.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Found a laptop with DTS Unbound Sound with Version: 2020.4.45.0 (NOt WOrking)

Model: Product Support | Acer United States

download link: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/XPERI DTS Utility/XPERI DTS Utility_XPERI_2020.4.45.0_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=637483700696646926&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=NITRO&Step3=NITRO AN517-52&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

EDIT:: Not Working

@Snk3, very odd, not sure what the problem is there, on my HDMI and AMD it works, as well as Realtek SPDIF, good to know you have it working on SPDIF.
I'm guessing everything else is working on HDMI? Windows can be stupid at times, and even break its self after a fresh install.

Could be drivers, I get problems with Windows and using EDID drivers, I dislike HDMI with video for audio only.

----

Note: SPDIF is as good as HDMI 1.4, except it can do up to 125mbps in bitstreaming (HDMI is ~37mbps). My AMD with 1.4, and ALC 889 SPDIF can process up to 6 x 192khz (1,152khz).
HDMI 2.0 can process up to 8 x192khz (1,536khz), this is the same as my ALC analogue direct, 8 x 192khz, this is PCM processing, not bitstreaming.

If SPDIF had the same level of multichannel output support as HDMI (which it can), it would be superior (and was before 2.0).

In terms of PCM, if SPDIF was updated slightly along side the multichannel programming, HDMI would be almost redundant for audio only (optical is immune to many things).

----

@Bryan Ü: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...eractive-for-most-devices.283932/post-4551127 (equivalent to extension).

I might have forgotten to update the signature catalogue, if you get a fail to install driver, let me know.
Your extension equivalent works but no sound from speaker. Only headphone works.
Its ALC285

May be separate dts extension from your main driver so i can just replace realtek driver with official one. And that way extensions will get updated too.

Last edited:
I might have to do a Teamviewer with you, quite a few people with an ALC2xx seem to have issues with the recent Realtek drivers.

"Your extension equivalent works but no sound from speaker. Only headphone works."

Try this video, the Realtek APO can actually cause an issue at times, you can alternatively remove the Realtek via FX config.

Edit: Once you have sound, disable and run the reg again, you will have sound and 'restore default' will be grey.

1633804248205.png

Edit: The only way to upgrade from the provided Sound Unbound, is to buy it.

Attachments

• Class ID's.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
I made this video with SPDIF (Interactive), hence the multichannel. I purchased Sound Unbound, so I just download it.

Also note, you DONT need to disable enhancements or remove the Realtek APO to get multichannel on SPDIF.

1633889432317.png
----
1633890471066.png
----
1633892266127.png
This specification I get noise, not enough sample aggregate.

Last edited:
Hello Ferather, as always, thanks for your work!
I must have somehow lost RTK APO Tool during several cleanup reinstalls, although I clearly remember having it installed, and it doesn't seem to be present in the latest bundle.
May I ask for your help how to find the installer?
Thanks!

It should be in the older packages, you should store it if you still need it, I removed it as it can cause a problem (adding empty lines).

====

My AMD R7 (HDMI 1.4 to SPDIF) still produces about 10% better audio quality than my ALC 889 (SPDIF), better hardware, both are programmed identically.

HDMI.pngSPDIF.png

On both devices I could not reach 8x 192khz, only 6x 192khz or 8x 96khz. They are quoted max 768khz, which is actually 1152khz.

Last edited:
System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
It should be in the older packages, you should store it if you still need it, I removed it as it can cause a problem (adding empty lines).

====

My AMD R7 (HDMI 1.4 to SPDIF) still produces about 10% better audio quality than my ALC 889 (SPDIF), better hardware, both are programmed identically.

View attachment 220956View attachment 220957

On both devices I could not reach 8x 192khz, only 6x 192khz or 8x 96khz. They are quoted max 768khz, which is actually 1152khz.
Could you please provide a link to that HDMI to SPDIF tool you are using?

Sorry I forgot the '@' in my last response to you.

@CityCultivator, https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/dts-dch-driver-for-realtek-dts-x.279972/post-4619748

Edit: Please note I am only using the digital portion of the extractor/convertor, I have not tried analogue and the DAC it comes with.

----

As a secondary post, if an audio device has a bad DAC or generally cheap components, lossless analogue will not be lossless when you hear it.

01100010 01101001 01110100 01110011 01110100 01110010 01100101 01100001 01101101 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101110 01110011

----

@dododo, USB and Virtual devices or not natively supported by the current, provided DTS APO4, I am still looking into it.
Also note, speaker and headphone detection is based on pin config data, SPDIF and HDMI do not use pin config.

Multichannel mode (home theatre), will enable freely for anything above 2 channel.

Last edited:
I must be a cyborg idiot, because I just read this:

"01100010 01101001 01110100 01110011 01110100 01110010 01100101 01100001 01101101 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101110 01110011"

as a tune in my head.

Anyway, great work Fer.
PM me for further missions.
STDINPUT