• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

If you want to edit the preset, copy the .xml file from C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x, edit it, then replace the previous one (original in the package).
Ideally you should use the Ultra EQ (top right, next to settings) to make several personal versions of each mode, or use Custom.

If you want to tune-enable a few things other than the EQ, and Custom, you will need to edit the .xml file.
You should find the .xml easy to read, although you will need to translate things like I3DA.

You will need to restart the audio service, endpoint service and DTS service.

1641949413663.png

----

Please note, audio quality (even with Interactive) will vary with the quality of the audio hardware.

Good quality audio device > HDMI-SPDIF-Analogue > Good quality audio out.
Bad quality audio device > HDMI-SPDIF-Analogue > Bad quality audio out.

This is also the same for a bad quality audio file, for example a bad quality mp3 or aac file.

Last edited:
System Name Metal-Tom-PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme
Cooling Boxed
Memory Mushkin DDR4 16 GB
Video Card(s) ASUS RX560 4GB
Storage 1x M2-SSD @256GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @120GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @240GB/2x WD10EZRX @1TB/1,5 TB HDD
Display(s) 1x Samsung LE40F86BDX (TV)/1x Samsung SyncMaster T240
Case Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220A
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 80+ 750W
Mouse Logitech M210
Keyboard Logitech K260
Software Win 10 Pro x64 v20H2
DTS DCH 6.0.9285.1 (Signed) - See post 1 for the download links and guide. Updated the driver infs (will do more another time).
  • Moved the Realtek panel unlock to optional, see the included txt file (may change later).
  • Some polish and changes to improve stereo and delay.
----

If you get any delay or issues with stereo, due to past installs or other reasons (for me, Microsoft driver), rebuild endpoints:

1642108043958.png

Restart the computer once the rebuild is finished, and FX closed.

You may need to delete old devices, using FX > properties.

Last edited:
If you want extra DTS unlocks, and even 24bit recording, or DTS Interactive does not show on SPDIF, here is a pre-built policy, else, here is a quick video for making your own (with edits).
Normally if there is no policy file on the system (RTKHDAUD.dat), the text will start as green, after get policy, add your edits, then save and exit.

Copy location: 'C:\Windows\System32\drivers\', note, the policy file will remain if the driver is removed.

If you are doing the optional Realtek app unlock, register then restart, else just restart.

----

Note: I am pausing updates, until the two bugs I have noticed with the Ultra app in stereo are fixed, else there is little point.

Tested on 21H2, fresh install, I only got the endpoint issue, due to not uninstalling the Microsoft device first.
Note, even with all APO's removed, you will get delay and other issues if you don't uninstall.

----

APO setups, note the Realtek APO changes based on the device, policy and driver.

SFX: DTS - Idle (preset) | Realtek - Upmixing (varies). < I suggest E-APO for upmixing, gain and balance.
MFX: DTS - Almost everything (preset) | Realtek - Almost everything (varies).
EFX: DTS - Crossover and gain [multichannel], Idle [stereo] (preset) | Realtek - Encoding, other (varies).

SPDIF-HDMI with DTS Interactive (edit for above):

EFX: DTS - Crossover and gain (preset) | DTS Interactive - Encoding.

Last edited:
If you are using Stereo Mix with Interactive, and get a power pop from it after a shutdown (not restart), you can set E-APO to -80 dB:

1642307363601.png

----

As a side note currently I am back on Realtek SPDIF, the new version slightly beats my AMD GPU audio device (HDMI).
Bonuses: No video feed wasting GPU, SPDIF is much more stable than HDMI (with EDID override).

Note: After a fresh driver install, I usually need to turn off the PC for a few ours before the audio settles.

Last edited:
If your Realtek SPDIF supports 192k, you will be happy to know its utilizing TOSLink 2.0, 125mbps max, and the only change possible is the 2 channel PCM digital converter chip.
Consumer level SPDIF has a 'don't care' to 15 channel ability (44-192k), professional level SPDIF can be set with any number of channels, any sample rate.

You will also be happy to know, if 192k is supported on the Realtek SPDIF, it will also bitstream up to the rate of its TOSLink 2.0 module.
To bitstream any format using SPDIF, set the media player to WASAPI exclusive. Supported formats is technically an EDID.

1642394733709.png
1642394612446.png

Note: The receiver must also support the format on SPDIF.

1642395284960.png
Bitstreaming, aka passthrough, passes through.

====

In order to bitstream, the device must have a frame size of 768, both SPDIF and HDMI are using this frame size.
Interestingly, frame size is based on aggregates (8 x 96k), but does not reflect the devices total.

HDMI 2.0+ utilizes a total sample aggregate of 1,536 (8 x 192k), up from 768 (1.4-).
Note: Bitstreaming is not PCM, PCM settings do not apply.

If we was to use the full rate of TOSLink 2.0, SPDIF can do 27 (26.1) x 192k (124.4mbps).

1642399578346.png

Last edited:
If you are not using the Realtek panel (UWP app), you can safely disable the Realtek Task.
Keep the main service on, it controls the Realtek APO, and improves audio.

1642512046396.png

----

Forgot to mention, if you want to edit the preset.xml, stop the DTS service and the Realtek service(s), first.
Location: C:\Windows\System32\DTS\PC\APO4x, cut the file, then paste it on your desktop.

I like SFX as "Any" "Stereo", but with some devices-oem setups, you might get a small delay with stereo.

You can use the 'replace all' feature of the editor, once you select a line to change.
Restart once you have pasted the file back to its correct location.

Last edited:
View attachment 232802

me vibing with foobar,damn that bass
@Skylined its vst2 and 32bit,am using the older version.

:::Steps::
1. download foobar
2. download vst2 support for foobar.
3. install halo upmix,u will find dlls in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\NuGen Audio ......now add 32bit version of halo upmix.
4. install youtube support too i guess.

Note: the vst2 support in foobar is not stable.It might crash too.

Dolby Atmos bed track (7.1.2) and Auro 3D (7.1.4) compatibility, and Ambisonic outputs can be added with NUGEN Receive.dll

Attachments

• Setup Halo Upmix v1.5.0.10.exe
    5.3 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Post 1 updated, if you are using a USB device, you may or may not need to convert to HDAUDIO.
I don't own a 'USB\' device myself and cannot test, it may also vary with the device.

Please note the driver does not support USB, the guide is an extension to the installed driver.

----

If you need a modifiable version (add your device) see here, intended use:

To install essentially this package, minus the Realtek, on a PC with no Realtek (hopefully HDAUDIO).
To install DTS and its features on a different Realtek driver, possibly due to OEM setup.

Last edited:
Hello Ferather, a side question about DTS - is it possible to purchase their license outside of MS Store as I'm on an LTSC branch of Windows hence no Store at all?
I mean, is it possible to order some key/license file and place it to the appropriate folder so that DTS detects and utilizes it?
Thanks!

Good question, I know Sound Unbound accepts codes, but they are probably for OEM testers. A while ago I had an issue with the store not allowing purchases.
I contacted DTS in regards to an alternative method of purchasing a license, but did not get a direct answer, just to try some fixes they had.

There is a license file (Ultra +), but you cannot purchase it as you want to (myself too), they come with specific devices.

Thanks Ferather, so at least they exist :) hopefully we'll find a way to buy one - I guess one may buy such a device on Amazon or its likes, even if it's broken as we just need an associated license.
So far I'm staying with your version which is already waaay better than anything I had previously.

I have purchased a full Sound Unbound license myself, after a fresh install a few months ago, and I would absolutely love to buy Ultra, with a good default preset.
You are not the first to say that my version is better, many have tried the original OEM presets and end up not liking it at all, hehe.

There is a bit more than the preset.xml, but regardless I don't charge for my time, I would rather see DTS get paid.
In case you are wondering, this pack is actually for myself, I am just sharing it with everyone.

AURO-3D Now u an download for free

remember the latest version is only for macos,so go to previous versions for windows

System Name Ghost Spectre Asus ROG Z390F Gaming
Processor Intel Core i3 9100F
Motherboard ASUS ROG Z390 F Gaming
Cooling Corsair LL120 RGB LED PWM Fan's
Memory 32GB 3200er CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB
Video Card(s) Geforce GTX ****
Storage Seagate Barracuda and Sandisk SSD combinated RAID 0 Striping
Display(s) Two Samsung Displays (1 Digital Tv and 1 older Analog 2ms gaming Monitor) + Smart Tv
Case Rare Oldschool NZXT LED Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) Creative IRoar Rock with Subwoofer & Logitech Z906
Mouse Hyrican RGB Set
Keyboard Hyrican RGB Set
Software Ghost Spectre's Modded Windows 11 & much more stuff
Benchmark Scores Not tested yet
i've been working for weeks on a great browser extension for upmixing, multichannel playback (5.1&7.1), surround sound and 3d audio via https://www.w3.org/TR/webaudio/ works with any streaming service
I will publish it here in the forum soon
@Ferather If you know a little about webaudio, please write to me privately.

edge://media-internals/
opera://media-internals/
chrome://media-internals/
will later add a preview video with the current surround effect.

untitled.JPG

Last edited:
Added 'Software Dependencies' to the app directory, with instructions to task kill some .exe files if you get an error with app using files, and not closing.

If you get a different app to the one that I had, you need to find the app, likely 'C:\Windows\SystemApps\', and search for '*.exe'.
Once you find all the .exe files, use the guide to task kill those tasks, then add them to the text file.

I also added an older version of Ultra, I am aware of a few bugs with the latest package, currently I am waiting for updates.

Re-uploaded: DTS DCH 6.0.9285.1 (Signed), quick update here.

----

Back to my break, while we wait for the last bug to be fixed, TBHDX (bass boost). < Works but has volume increase then ducking on mode change.
Based on the current preset I made, this only effects 'Custom' mode.

If you are having issues with a laptop, see here.

----

Reminder, when in stereo mode, each mode has customizable EQ's, even with Custom mode, enjoy!

Last edited:
Something popped in my head last night, if you use the quick update option above, you can uninstall the extension the pack installs.
Use command prompt as admin, and type 'pnputil -e', to find it, then 'pnputil /delete-driver oem#.inf /force'.

replace oem#.inf, with the number you see on your screen, for example oem21.inf.

Extension version: 6.0.9200.1