1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual Channel vs Single Channel Performance

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Weigy104, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im looking to upgrade to 2gb of memory but instead of buying a matched 2gb kit i was just going to buy a 1gb kit thats a different make from my current memory. Am i right in saying this will result in me using single channel memory mode and if so is the performance difference between the two noticable?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. prime95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the configuration you should go for should be 2x1gb. If you have 2x512 right now, then I wouldn't recommend getting another 2x512 kit. If you happen to have 1x1gb stick right now, then by all means go ahead and get another 1x1gb stick of ram. You can mix and match manufacturers, its just usually wiser to stick with same manufacturer/speed so that you know what to expect from both modules. Also, the performance between single and dual channel is pretty big, so make sure your prioritize running dual channel over single.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hm i would like to buy a 2gb matched pair kit and keep dual channel running but i just cant afford it at the minute. Also whats the point in having a motherboard with 4 memory slots if your only ever allowed to use two :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. peach1971

peach1971 New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    im in single channel now and it is real slow

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Netburst P4 is considerably bandwidth dependant whereas A64 is not. SC vs DC performance difference on A64 is not a big deal.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Dont do it. Either get the same make, same model, or ebay it and get a 2GB kit.

The problem with 4x DDR is that sometimes the mainboard is VERY fussy. Example: Corsair XMS works no problem, but Corsair Value Select often does not work 4x.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    has anyone got a final answer on wither i will see a big performance drop if i go with mixed 2gb then? or do i have to stay with 1gb?

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. kelticknight New Member

Thanks Received:
    from what i have seen
    dont mix
    should get same make and type and speed
    memory is not bad price for your mobo now

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Very true! As you have pointed out, bandwidth improvement between single and dual channel can be as much as 81% (SiSoft Sandra memory bench test) but in the "real world" it usually means very little, in some apps (and games are included) you can see up to a 5% improvement and in the review I have just read that meant 6FPS in Far Cry but that 6FPS was out of a system that was running the game at 70 odd FPS so to the naked eye....little difference. In some apps there are no improvement at all.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I ran 2x512 OCZDDR550Gold and 1x512 gskillDDR600 for a while at 2-3-3-5 DDR466 just to compare difference in game play (no difference found)From 2x512 also borrowed 2x1GB To see difference in game play (no difference found) ...But any way you can but if you get poor results you know why...Now the results I received were very acceptable.I Always run my ram at 1T.

P.S. I use 1T because i have to even over clock the T as I am such an addict.(i couldn't resist the edit)lol

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. rizzo

rizzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    On my mb i was able to run 2 different makes of mem and they ran dual channel. The performance didnt seem too great though. I didnt do any benching or anything so I cant say for sure.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Grings

Grings

Thanks Received:
    ive run two types for a while, and they were completely different (well, same timings, but 1set was single sided, other was double sided, and about 2 years older) and they worked fine, but this was quite lucky, lots of people have tried and had to underclock, raise latencies and/or cl timings

also a lot of motherboards can be fussy too, so have a good look at forum posts here and other sites on your model board

if you do decide to risk it make sure theyre the same latency timings and voltage

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hm im gonna give this a try. I think im gonna try a little test though to see how it runs, im gonna steal the memory from my dads pc ;) and try it out see if i can see a difference in benchmarks and games and such if i cant see any or much of a difference then i'll buy the 1gb and try to keep the specs of it as close to my current memory specs as possible. i'll let you know what happens in my test though :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Download FRAPS and check FPS in a game....with and without, that'll do it mefinks.

10 Year Member at TPU