• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DUAL GEAR Project - By RaF-MODS

Hello !

As a big fan of mechs and similar robots of this type - I decided to design something "new". As I was small on the memory card, I had a "record" of the game front mission 3 for over 250 hours, and the game itself went over 14 times. This is one of the better games on PSX, due to the fact that something like "DUAL GEAR" will soon come out on the PC. I decided to make / design a robot. It will come out extremely large, both legs and hands will be movable (bolted) and the same the robot will hold some weapons ... In its guts I put the ITX board, along with the card. Under this in the lower part, there will be no problem with water cooling with not too much cooler - a lot of space will still be on the back. The robots themselves have large weapons, they not only hold them in their hands but also on the shoulders, which gives the field to locate some smaller coolers on these elements - after all the world is dead only 240/360 there are also smaller coolers (80, 2 x 60, 3 x 60 etc.)

1: 1 scale model from paper: D

This will facilitate and accelerate the cutting of elements from MDF.

The whole is over 1 m high with legs bent in the knees.

Last edited:

A big thank you to the Plextor brand for trusting and joining the project with their SSDs under the PCI-E connector;)

Today, MDF sheets - 18mm and 6mm arrived. First, I took this thicker one;) - the first 2 hours of work behind me (not counting the project and cutting / drawing templates that went from 12 hours)

Initial cutting ...

Next on individual elements with excess.

Cutting on a tape with 1mm excess after drawing from cardboard templates.

Grinding on the "wheel";)

And this is how it looks at this moment;)

The main elements are made - the next stage is the assembly of the torso and thickening of the legs / hands.

At the beginning, I would like to thank Crucial for your support in the project.

From Crucial I will receive White RAM for project (4 memory frame module at 4GB 2666MHz DDR4).

There is nothing like choosing a SLR with a charged one, but without a memory card; / that's why today I'm terribly disappointed with the quality of the photos from the P10 Lite ... I thought that the new telephoto photos would be at least bearable. Ok, but let's change the subject;) some photos from the works:

Element made of 14mm plywood - I hope to withstand it.

We managed to make systems of "hinges" for both legs. The only thing that will change is the replacement of screws 12 / 14mm with washers on which I left clearance.

The whole is even stable. An element with tracks (at the back) will be added to the feet on which the robot will resist.

Hand and machine pistol.

In the other hand, maybe there will be a sword? or something else I do not know ... :)

Hello !

The torso of the robot has been partially completed;)

this is how it looks:

later I decided to cut out the elements for my hands - I will make them at home so that I do not stay in the company today.

and at the end of the selfie with the robot :)

Boring Saturday in front of me :)

so I do the robot's fingers - it's a pity that I ended up with M3 x 10 screws. I have to go to the casto for spare;)

Pictures show one of 10 fingers ready - so your fingers will move.

Today I worked a bit on my fingers - thanks to which my hands are almost finished.

this is how it looks:

every finger is bent regardless of which I am very proud because the whole was made by hand without laser / cnc. These are small elements but we managed to do them accurately enough with the error on the length of the fingers is +/- 1 mm. Of course, I thought at first to cut these elements with a laser in plywood - but I managed to do it with MDF 6mm so it will be easier to paint.

Today I thought - to add a shield on the left hand, on which you can place a mouse and mouse pad. On the other hand - on the department layout, make a place to hide the keyboard, and the headphones would just be put up. What do you think about it?

Today, I have dismantled the whole - I prepared the elements for joining with screws.

additionally I worked on the shoulders and hands - I made and drilled elements in which there will be screws connecting these elements.

photos from today's works:

It was possible to connect all the elements with screws. The whole thing is on its own! :) I'm positive, of course, the whole thing will be even heavier. But I have already secured my knees from bending - I suspect that this element is the most heavily loaded. Now you have to think about the details :) I also mounted my hands - I think that the whole already looks extra. Now I have to think about his "head" as well.

"this time my creator made me a head that I did not have before, did I look better?"

There was a bit of work, but the head is almost ready. A few details are missing - but everything in its time;).

UP! 03/03/2018

Time for some details - so I took care of the "white" armor pads that have the robot on the main elements. I made 3 sets, two on the torso, and one on the element holding my legs together;)

A few photos from the works:

The elements I cut out a little bigger because the 100% matching is not possible, I tried to use a milling cutter that has a bearing and copies the element - so it turned out to be great :)

Now it would be good to take care of these thin hands and bring them out a bit - it will be made in the same way as already created elements - MDM 6MM and fibreboard 4 mm for smaller details;)

Thanks for ModMyMods!

For support in the project in the form of water cooling, cabling, as well as devices and tools for its implementation!

Nice words continued - thanks to the Polish branch of the WD company, which himself donated WD Black 6TB to my projects! - revelation !

As the parcels will surely come with great content, a nice touch is especially support from ModMyMods because the company is from the USA, and the cost of sending the parts is expensive. Some may have noticed that the WD company supported me in the first project, I praised them for pictures of projects I made and those that are under construction and please ... very nice gesture :) - I will mention here that I will visit one of the fairs in Poland;) so the work You will be able to see it live! :)

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
That's really cool, subed

thank you very much ! - the project is great and heavy to implement. But I hope I can do it;) - it motivates me to act :), I realize that my English is weak but if you have any questions, write to me :)

Up ! 6.03.2018

Up! 06/03/2018

Another 4 hours of work behind me;)

Today I worked on the next elements of the armor, which are on my legs and hands.

There are still thick hands to make, add the upper element on the shoulders and work at the feet (+ make caterpillars on which the robot in the game moves - of course, they will not be movable, but they will look good)

Today came a drive from WD 6TB - a lot of space for cool things :rockout:

SSD from Plextor - 512GB :rockout:

RAM Memory for Crucial 4 dice 4GB 2666MHz DDR4. :rockout:

I also did a little bit on the project - the inquisitive behind the photo will notice caterpillars only that in parts. The whole must be glued and prepared for assembly with the help of m3 screws.

Next he deals with the foot:

One caterpillar glued together, you have to do the other - and then assemble them with the M3 screws.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
This thread deserves so much more love

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
This is awesome

Hello all !
Today is Saturday - but I could not let it go to do some work on the project.
So, the hands have been made a bit thicker - the same barges.
There I have 7cm places for coolers with an LED fan.

Photos from the works:

Now you have to finish your feet - I already have some elements, but the tracks will still take some time.