1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Duke Nukem almost done

Discussion in 'News' started by D_o_S, May 14, 2006.

1. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    By now, almost every gamer has heard about Duke Nukem Forever, a title that was herald as the next great first person shooter. The game was suppose to be released back in the 90's and was suppose to be the hot successor to Duke Nukem 3D -- a game that became a classic in its own right. DNF arguably had a lot to live up to. Duke 3D had become a pop culture icon, with the protagonist throwing out memorable lines during a fire fight and the game itself delivering a unique style of game play.

It's now eight years later and with an investment of nearly $8M USD, DNF is still not finished -- but it's almost done, says Scott Miller, CEO of 3D Realms. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Miller explains that his company focuses on original IP, or intellectual property. This is to say that 3D Realms develops only original game ideas and game content. The company does not take ideas out of movies, or any other type of source to develop their games. When asked by THR if a game should take as long as DNF took to complete, Miller responded "It shouldn't. And I'm dumbfounded myself. A huge part of the problem is that it's really hard hiring good developers to come to Dallas. This place used to be a hotbed of game development. But, nowadays, people seem to want to go to Austin instead. Plus we have this reputation now -- that our games don't ever come out, so ... "

Source: Daily Tech

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i suspect not alot of you played duke3d, i spent countless hours, oh i loved this game it kicked ass...

and i loved the attitude "im gonna rip of your head and shit down your neck"

nudity, violence, extremely tacky taglines... i really want to see duke nukem forever, all but duke3d were pitiful. EDIT: exluding the original 2d side scroller series of duke nukem.

duke nukem forever has been in production for 7+ years if i remember right.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    i, personally, am so amped about dnf that just read the article it links to like 3 straight times. if this is the new april fools, i'm going to cry

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. max_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Played 2D Version and 3D.
    One of the greatest games ever.

Hope it comes out and has the same style as the original.:rockout:

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It was supposed to come out in 1998

I was looking forward to it so much... I even remember watching the trailer countless times... I hope they get it done, and its good.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. CjStaal

Thanks Received:
    I hope it doesn't need DX10

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    Did it make an appearance at E3? I don't think I heard anyone mention it, so I doubt it will come out anytime this year... Which will make it DX10.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    DNF almost done ?

The day duke nukem will be released, the lead developer will be comemorated on the wall of heros of the united federation of planets..... later it prooves to be a great success in the klingon empire,

for those who dont know startrek, that phrase kind of implies that the game will be finished either in 400 years or in a phantasy world,

your more likly to see duke nukem forever as a rare item dropped in guildwars then in a store,

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Sandman New Member

Thanks Received:
    When "DN: taking forever" comes out, look to the west for the four horsemen.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. gerrynicol New Member

Thanks Received:
    This "should" be the greatest sequel ever(imo) duke 3d was awsome.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I remember first hearing about it in 96, it's been a LONG time coming. It had better be worth the wait.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    this is a game thats been raising expectations for close to 10 years, they could put out a game with real world graphics, surround sound, fill ageia physix accell,

and it will still disapoint,
    its like when you lose your virginity, you´ve been waiting forever, and then when finaly you do it, you dont last 2 mins, your both a bit disapointed and you go "thats all?"

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if it will be worth the wait

10 Year Member at TPU