• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DVD to 1080p

Dodds

Hey guys, I have read a lot of stuff on t he internet saying that its impossible to do this. But I am 120% sure there is a way.

i was in the stores the other day and i was looking at all theses blue ray movies. and i found Terminator. FIRST ONE! on blue ray. that was made in the 80's How the hell would they have the cameras back then to film this in HD, they had to do a upscale. so it would be. There must be ways to do it. maybe use Adobe Premier and doing a whole bunch of settings. to convert it manually. or use a program. must be a way.

Dodds

Anyone out there have any opions. Like there alot of older older movies from the 80's on blue ray. Theres got to be a way.

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD4650 Ultimate Edition
Storage 60GB Corsair Force LE, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1, 500GB Seagate
Display(s) 22" Samsung T220HD & 19" Acer X193W
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
They didn't shoot the movie in HD, they shot it on film which can do 1080p. Only problem with older movies is the film getting the treatment it needs. Some film has scratches on it which will degrade the quality, also depends on the movie company whether they bother to put work into it and make it good quality or not. But in the end, DVD is 480/576p and BluRay is 1080p. DVD Upscalers can help a bit, but nowhere near as good as an actual BluRay disc in terms of quality.

Dodds

so lets say i have all these DVD's, i have an amazing computer. that has everything. what is the best way to upscale it?
like is there a way to make it better? and whats the best i can make it?

System Name The Beast
Cooling Stock
First of all you should fill in your system specs so I can see what type of amazing computer you have. If it's good enough you should go BluRay.

CyberLink PowerDVD 9 has DVD upscaling and BluRay playback support. It's $49.95 for the basic verison. I used it before, to be honest it's still nowhere near as good as BluRay.

Dodds

i have a blue ray player. i just don't want to buy all my dvds n blue ray.

4 gigs ram
2.6 Quad Core
P5q-e mother board.
ATI 2600XT video card
BlueRay Reader
dvd burner.
Vendetta 2 Heat sync

System Name The Beast
Cooling Stock
The best thing do to is buy them on BluRay because upscaling wont make them look as good as BluRay.

Dodds

well like im not buying dvds anymore but i still wanna watch my old dvd's but wish for them in higher quility. i don't have a good paying job to afford re buying all my movies.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Your player should be able to upconvert DVD's up to 1080p.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Your player should be able to upconvert DVD's up to 1080p.

Plus one on that. Most if not all blu ray players will upscale dvd's.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yes, the only real option is upscaling the DVDs to 1080p using the player. You might be able to get slightly better quality by ripping the DVDs to a computer and upscaling them using a better software upscaling program, but it really wouldn't be worth the effort and time as the difference to the naked eye would be next to nothing.

You really can't take a 480p movie and make it anywhere near HD quality. You have to go back to the original film source and re-encode the movie in HD. The film has infinite resolution essentially, just like a picture on film vs. a digital picture, each frame is a picture on film. Once it is encoded onto DVD or 1080p content of some kind, it is a digital picture. The best way to upscale the picture would be to go back to the original film picture and re-encode it at the higher resolution. Simply re-sizing the digital picture leads to artifacts in the image due to the upscaler needing to create pixels that are not in the original picture, so it has to guess what would be there.

Dodds

Yes, the only real option is upscaling the DVDs to 1080p using the player. You might be able to get slightly better quality by ripping the DVDs to a computer and upscaling them using a better software upscaling program, but it really wouldn't be worth the effort and time as the difference to the naked eye would be next to nothing.

You really can't take a 480p movie and make it anywhere near HD quality. You have to go back to the original film source and re-encode the movie in HD. The film has infinite resolution essentially, just like a picture on film vs. a digital picture, each frame is a picture on film. Once it is encoded onto DVD or 1080p content of some kind, it is a digital picture. The best way to upscale the picture would be to go back to the original film picture and re-encode it at the higher resolution. Simply re-sizing the digital picture leads to artifacts in the image due to the upscaler needing to create pixels that are not in the original picture, so it has to guess what would be there.

I did not know that the original had infinite res that would explain the reason for the terminator movie to be in HD. I make movies my self its something i want to get into and that taught me something . thank you very much.

Deusxmachina

As was stated, film has higher resolution than 1080. A lot depends on the transfer and how the film was kept over the years, etc.

Besides an upconverting DVD player, which tend to do a pretty good job, if you want to play around with your computer, just check out FFdshow. There are various before/after threads and articles around the internet showing you what upconverting/filtering can do. It can be rather impressive.

Some things:
Noise-reduction sounds nice, but it often reduces sharpness, especially when the noise is really bad to need the filter in the first place. I used to even use an NR filter for 1080i television but then stopped bothering.

The main filter you'd use is one of the numerous sharpening filters. Depending on your graphics card, (Nvidia), it may already have a sharpness setting built-in that can work decently well. Not as good as a fine-tuned FFdshow or similar filter, of course, but it's quick and easy.

My HTPC is set to basically upscale anything less than HD resolution, adds a sharpening filter and a chroma filter, and that's about it. Quick and dirty and not too hard on the CPU. Other people really tweak their settings, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Here is what is possible with filters. If you had enough processing power, (unlikely), a large portion of these results could be done in real-time.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/avspostqual.html
If people want to skip the writing, just mouse-over the last picture on the page.

System Name :3
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 275
Storage WD black 500gb Samsung 1tb
Display(s) 27" 1366x768 Olevia 527v
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
isn't the old film analog?

Dodds

As was stated, film has higher resolution than 1080. A lot depends on the transfer and how the film was kept over the years, etc.

Besides an upconverting DVD player, which tend to do a pretty good job, if you want to play around with your computer, just check out FFdshow. There are various before/after threads and articles around the internet showing you what upconverting/filtering can do. It can be rather impressive.

Some things:
Noise-reduction sounds nice, but it often reduces sharpness, especially when the noise is really bad to need the filter in the first place. I used to even use an NR filter for 1080i television but then stopped bothering.

The main filter you'd use is one of the numerous sharpening filters. Depending on your graphics card, (Nvidia), it may already have a sharpness setting built-in that can work decently well. Not as good as a fine-tuned FFdshow or similar filter, of course, but it's quick and easy.

My HTPC is set to basically upscale anything less than HD resolution, adds a sharpening filter and a chroma filter, and that's about it. Quick and dirty and not too hard on the CPU. Other people really tweak their settings, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Here is what is possible with filters. If you had enough processing power, (unlikely), a large portion of these results could be done in real-time.
If people want to skip the writing, just mouse-over the last picture on the page.

So the FFdshow will do the upscalling? what aboutCyberLink Power DVD 7?

isn't the old film analog?
Thats a good point. Wouldn't the Film be also done with crappy old camaras? I thought the lens would make a diffrence.

Dodds

Some things:

Hey i just thought of somthing. I do video editing. and i have a quad core so i should have enogh. if i rip all my movies to avi. throw them in Premier. can i make a script for the program that will do all theses effects and do what that link said? or is that what the program u said dose in the first place?

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Upscalling in various hardware is VERY extreme on quality on both sides..

Take a cheap $100 dvd player with upscaling ability, and well it's really not up to par..

Now take a $1000 Denon and you have a VERY different story.

Software upscaling is equally as good as a decent upscaler built into a decent dvd player, but adds a TON of learning that you will need to be able to even come close to the quality levels.

Either buy a good upscaling dvd player, or buy an external scaler, they are readily available and not overly expensive. They take all the guess work out of your software, and remove countless hours of learning.

Personally my Harmon Kardon DVD48 does an incredible job, and now this unit can be had for under $300 pretty easily. This one doesn't play blu-ray though. Although there are finally some high end blu-ray players hitting the market, nothing that is as good has really come down in price from the $1000+ range.

Dodds

Upscalling in various hardware is VERY extreme on quality on both sides..

Take a cheap $100 dvd player with upscaling ability, and well it's really not up to par..

Now take a $1000 Denon and you have a VERY different story.

Software upscaling is equally as good as a decent upscaler built into a decent dvd player, but adds a TON of learning that you will need to be able to even come close to the quality levels.

Either buy a good upscaling dvd player, or buy an external scaler, they are readily available and not overly expensive. They take all the guess work out of your software, and remove countless hours of learning.

Personally my Harmon Kardon DVD48 does an incredible job, and now this unit can be had for under $300 pretty easily. This one doesn't play blu-ray though. Although there are finally some high end blu-ray players hitting the market, nothing that is as good has really come down in price from the $1000+ range.

If i got the prgram its still just basicly following a script that a video editing progrma is doing. so if i just take a video editing program make a script for it throw an avi of what i want to upscale it would do that properly? right? and probley be better quility then an upscaller would do becuse its not prossessing and playing at the same time. and i could let it work all night and take its time then save it and play it.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Why not just watch them in DVD quality. I do and I think its fine.

Dodds

Why not just watch them in DVD quality. I do and I think its fine.

because im a man! lol and i like my stuff CHEAP! and top of the line. lmfao

i got a beutifle tv that can do somthing beutifle but dvd's that are not strong. and im to dam cheap to buy them again. i did that with VHS and i hate it! lol

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Mouse Logitech G502x
If i got the prgram its still just basicly following a script that a video editing progrma is doing. so if i just take a video editing program make a script for it throw an avi of what i want to upscale it would do that properly? right? and probley be better quility then an upscaller would do becuse its not prossessing and playing at the same time. and i could let it work all night and take its time then save it and play it.

No not really because the hardware is built to do it at play speed, and it's not hard to do that at all.

Second, the script changes per different parts of the movie in varying contrast etc situations. TBH, I am yet to see a movie upscalled with any software look as good let alone superior to even my HK dvd48, let alone a higher end scaller, say the Reon-HQV scaller, which you can find in a lot of ultra high end equipment. Not that it's not possible, it very well is, I just am yet to see it.

Software works, but why rip the movie, run it through the software, re-burn it to a blu-ray disc, being once a standard dvd is upscaled to 1080p it will not fit on a dual layer disc, just to play it in your dvd player anyways.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
Get a smaller screen then :laugh: I don't think you can do what your wanting without being professional and having the original film. There are other ways of obtaining HD movies though.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
I don't think you can do what your wanting without being professional.

It will not work as well as taking the film and making it digital again at a higher resolution, that's not possible.

But you can upscale it with software, but let me tell you it's next to impossible. I know people that do this for a living, and they will do the same movie 20-30 times before it's done to their satisfaction.

The hardware scaller is real time, so it constantly re-calculates what is being displayed and re-tunes itself.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
Thats what I was meaning by saying you'd need the original film to make it 1080p.

Dodds

thanks very much guys this has be very informitive i will use that program that u guys said and jsut let the computer upscale while i watch.