• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DVI to HDMI troubles

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
I wasn't sure where to put this, but settled on the linux forum because that is the OS I'm using and I suspect drivers may be the issue. I recently built a HTPC using a 7300LE. So I have a 50" G20 Panasonic plasma, and when I try to connect via DVI>HDMI I run into a problem. Every so often, the screen will flash, the flash looks like information from the desktop (like the right visuals but jumbled or something) and then revert to normal. This is obviously quite annoying when trying to use an HTPC.

I've tried 2 distros: Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS, both trying multiple drivers. I've tried using a DVI cord to HDMI converter, an HDMI converter to HDMI cord, and a DVI to HDMI cable, and all of these yield the same issue. I'm trying to set up a sort of XBMC/MythTV media monster, but it's all for naught if I can't get the damn picture to cooperate. I'm presently at 2 theories: a driver problem or a handshake problem. I've tried to eliminate the driver issue by trying different distros and drivers, but I fear if that's the case I may just have to get a new card. But if it's a handshake issue, I'm not really sure how to fix this and, again, I'd have to get a new card.

If that can be avoided, that would be great though, I'd like to fix this without more money if possible. Let me know what you think. :respect:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I wasn't sure where to put this, but settled on the linux forum because that is the OS I'm using and I suspect drivers may be the issue. I recently built a HTPC using a 7300LE. So I have a 50" G20 Panasonic plasma, and when I try to connect via DVI>HDMI I run into a problem. Every so often, the screen will flash, the flash looks like information from the desktop (like the right visuals but jumbled or something) and then revert to normal. This is obviously quite annoying when trying to use an HTPC.

I've tried 2 distros: Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS, both trying multiple drivers. I've tried using a DVI cord to HDMI converter, an HDMI converter to HDMI cord, and a DVI to HDMI cable, and all of these yield the same issue. I'm trying to set up a sort of XBMC/MythTV media monster, but it's all for naught if I can't get the damn picture to cooperate. I'm presently at 2 theories: a driver problem or a handshake problem. I've tried to eliminate the driver issue by trying different distros and drivers, but I fear if that's the case I may just have to get a new card. But if it's a handshake issue, I'm not really sure how to fix this and, again, I'd have to get a new card.

If that can be avoided, that would be great though, I'd like to fix this without more money if possible. Let me know what you think. :respect:

does it do it when just browsing around and doing other random things besides playing movies? that is the first thing i would check. because if it is then it is either a bad cord or bad drivers.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
Yeah it does it all the time. I've tried numerous cords and connections of various types all with the ame results so I don't think that's the problem. I haven't just let it sit in the bios yet, which may indicate whether it's a driver issue. One other thing I didn't mention is my tv has a VGA port and via the VGA port everything looks good, only of course not the resolution i want.

Assuming this is a driver problem, what should I do to fix it? I did try switching proprietary drivers in ubuntu.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Does the card have more than one DVI connection? Did you try connecting the DVI/HDMI cable to the other connection? Sorry for suggesting something as stupid as that, I just want to make sure that you have eliminated all the simple fixes.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
The card only has 1 dvi, 1 VGA, and 1 s-video. Like I said I've tried the VGA and it works fine, haven't really bothered with s-video. I may try hooking my main rig to this setup to see what that does....

baggpipes

System Name R2D2
Processor AMD FX-4100
Motherboard MSI 970 G45
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston T1 8GB 1600 DDR3 @ 1800mHz
Video Card(s) AMD Sapphire 6850
Storage RAID 0 WD Caviar Blue 1TB total
Display(s) Acer 19" widescreen and Sony 32" Bravia 1080p 60hz
Case NZXT Gamma Series
Power Supply 700w OCZ Mod Stream Pro
Software Windows 7 Professional
Benchmark Scores hit 4.5ghz stock cooler....
i used to have a 7300GS back in the day... but i just used the S-video output for all my TV viewing needs... it was a decent card but i would recommend a new card... I would get back to us after hooking the main rig up... i use a 4670... its awesome HDMI... audio in one cable:)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
try if the same happens on windows -> yes: blame the card. no: blame linux or its drivers

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
anyway we could get a pic of what the screen is doing?

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
i used to have a 7300GS back in the day... but i just used the S-video output for all my TV viewing needs... it was a decent card but i would recommend a new card... I would get back to us after hooking the main rig up... i use a 4670... its awesome HDMI... audio in one cable:)

Yeah I may just have to break down and buy a new card. Probably a 5450 or some such thing.

try if the same happens on windows -> yes: blame the card. no: blame linux or its drivers

Yeah, I'm gonna try that. Problem is, blaming either one of those things leads to a new card (which is cheaper than windows).

anyway we could get a pic of what the screen is doing?

Doubtful, it's too fast for a pic and I don't really feel like messing w/ video. Best way to describe it is everything on the screen scrambles for half a second or so then returns to normal. Not debilitating, but annoying enough to pretty much make it worthless to me.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
So I broke down and bought a 5450. Now of course I can't use Ubuntu because apparently drivers don't work for it?!?! The fates are conspiring against me. I successfully installed Ubuntu (which I had to do with VGA b/c HDMI wouldn't display anything), but now when I boot in the TV picks up nothing once the desktop boots up, I'm in the dark. Any suggestions for that one?

genfool

can you post your xorg.conf file? Not sure I can help, will try though.
Curious as to which driver ubuntu chose to give you.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
can you post your xorg.conf file? Not sure I can help, will try though.
Curious as to which driver ubuntu chose to give you.

Sorry for the ignorance, but where could I find said file? I don't see it on the livecd, and as I said I'm unable to successfully view anything in my desktop.

genfool

The file is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf Example, if you run this command as root. sudo su and then password, in a terminal.
"cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf" will show you the file.
If you use, "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" You can edit it.

What we are looking for is the driver your system is using, a short example of mine is...
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device1"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8400 GS"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
Screen 1

The problem is, getting into your system to get the info, a few ways to do this.
What happens when you boot your ubuntu? You get a blank screen and a blinking cursor at the top left of screen? Can you use ctrl alt f1 to get a terminal?

If you boot a live cd, can you use a cheat code in grub to switch to vesa to get a booting system? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

If you can get to the xorg.conf, switch the driver to "vesa" or use the cheat codes on live and switch to vesa, will get you a generic driver for a desktop, then we can work on the issue.
Since you just swapped cards from nvidia to ati (another terrible investment) option A: will get you in the system to edit the file.

pane-free

Up the Big River, past three dams, up the creek
System Name Shuttle K4800
Processor Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Motherboard stock -- want update
Cooling stock intel fan & heatsink
Memory Corsair DDR2 667 - 2GB
Video Card(s) on-board
Storage WD 3200BEKT 7200RPM
Display(s) an old Neovo
Case Shuttle KPC
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply stock "green" switching PU
Software run Linux distros (mostly Debian-, Slack-based occasionally)
Benchmark Scores CPU Blowfish 6.87 CPU Fibonacci 3.37 FPU FFT 3.31

Attachments

• element.jpg
    element.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 427
System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
The file is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf Example, if you run this command as root. sudo su and then password, in a terminal.
"cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf" will show you the file.
If you use, "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" You can edit it.

What we are looking for is the driver your system is using, a short example of mine is...
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device1"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8400 GS"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
Screen 1

The problem is, getting into your system to get the info, a few ways to do this.
What happens when you boot your ubuntu? You get a blank screen and a blinking cursor at the top left of screen? Can you use ctrl alt f1 to get a terminal?

If you boot a live cd, can you use a cheat code in grub to switch to vesa to get a booting system? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

If you can get to the xorg.conf, switch the driver to "vesa" or use the cheat codes on live and switch to vesa, will get you a generic driver for a desktop, then we can work on the issue.
Since you just swapped cards from nvidia to ati (another terrible investment) option A: will get you in the system to edit the file.

It's just totally blank upon boot, so it's a bit difficult to play around in there. I may try the liveCD thing, I've switched to Windows temporarily, but I'm gonna try that distro below...

Nice, that's just what I'm looking for. Only problem is being Debian their probably using the same driver set Ubuntu is by default, which means I may have trouble getting my 5450 to work well enough initially to get it to work permanently. I'll definitely give it a shot though.

pane-free

Video Card(s) on-board
Display(s) an old Neovo
Case Shuttle KPC
Audio Device(s) on-board
System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
Sounds like a handshake problem to me. That 7300LE was born in the infancy of HDMI and it could very likely have a handshake issue. I would try a newer video card like a 210 or a 5450 with a native HDMI connector on it. I had a similar problem between an older video card and a projector that magically went away when I upgraded the video card to something newer.

pane-free

Video Card(s) on-board
Display(s) an old Neovo
Case Shuttle KPC
Audio Device(s) on-board
Here's something else that may be of help (it's not mine & can't remember where I got it from):

"I got this from the Ubuntu forums. I've had that "low graphics mode" problem for a long time and couldn't fix it.
I'd have to reboot a (random) number of times to get my 3D capability back. This fixed it for me perfectly."

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

(remember last space)

sudo gdm-stop
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*

RESTART

(after this ubuntu boots with some graphical errors like white lines and incorrect resolution)

sudo gdm-stop
sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

RESTART

(after this, ubuntu boots with no graphical errors BUT CANT GET INTO TERMINAL with gdm stopped so cant install nvidia drivers)
>> Note: I didn't have this problem.

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf

and you need to comment 'blacklist vesafb' and add 'blacklist vgafb16' (both without quotes)

sudo nano /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

and add 'fbcon' and 'vesafb' (dont forget last space)

sudo update-initramfs -u

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

search for 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=' and ADD (dont delete) vga=771 or 795 (according to your resolution)

sudo update-grub

RESTART

sudo gdm-stop

now can enter terminal and install NVIDIA drivers. and they will install without errors.