• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

E.A games Bans gamers from gaming

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
i know it is legal because i know it has already been challenged in court. i would like to see it challenged again using EA as an example to see how the court would rule this time.

They would rule exactly the same way they have ruled before. The courts generally don't like to set precedent that legal well worded documents that both parties agreed to aren't actually binding. It would kind of throw everything legality is based on out the window.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Who cares if you get banned? All that matters is how many dog tags you collected in last night's BF3 session, right? If you get banned, you can simply open another account and buy your games a second time.

Buy your games a second time? It looks like a couple of the problems "reportedly" were for crap reasons, MAYBE warranting a forum suspension, but they won't even talk to them to consider repealing the EA-wide ban. Screw them. I'm not much for trolling, so I wouldn't ahve to worry about it, but if I made a response to someone like some of the examples and got banned? Hell NO I wouldn't buy the games again. :nutkick:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Processor Intel Pentium D 950 Presler
Motherboard Asus P5N-32 SLI
Cooling Stock Air
Memory 4x Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667 1GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800 GTX
Storage 4x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 17" CRT 1600x1200
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850
Software Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Serves everybody right for buying from EA Games.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
They would rule exactly the same way they have ruled before. The courts generally don't like to set precedent that legal well worded documents that both parties agreed to aren't actually binding. It would kind of throw everything legality is based on out the window.

when it comes to business to business exchanges, sure. both parties are almost always equally represented with legal counsel. however, when it comes to business to consumer exchanges there is no precedent that says a product you bought can be taken away from you based on the whims of the seller. in business to business exchanges both parties right up contracts, they negotiate and come to terms. break the terms and the courts are called in to settle it. with business to consumer you have the business writing the contract and the consumer simply agreeing to purchase that product without any counter legal representation. this is exactly why we have consumer advocacy groups. people are simply to lazy to read the agreements they sign and companies like EA take advantage of that. there has to be a balanced decision that enforces the ToS but also limits the sellers ability to take advantage of or abuse the consumer. and since we can't go around forcing everyone to read and fully understand the ToS, since not everyone can afford legal counsel for their daily transactions, we have to settle for middle ground.

Last edited:
System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
I find it funny how many of you seem to be totally okay with the idea of paying for permission to play your games, rather paying for the temporary allowance to play your games, at ALL based on the publishers decisions.

Pretty soon half you guys will end up paying a nickle for every 10 minutes of game play in Single Player.

Banned from forums and games should never go hand in hand. Especially from single player. We all fall prey to the ridiculousness that is a license agreement to start with. Try to get a refund on a game that simply is broken that takes months to get fixed at best? I would call that product liability. Or what about the magical TOA that can get you banned from any MMO hacking, but what if you already pre-paid for a years subscription and most of it was remaining... You see outside of this magical game world that's payment for services that are not rendered.

Game producers are getting ridiculous, it's semi understandable, piracy.
But on the other side of that is profit, the more they can ban, the more new box sets they sell.

Don't take this as a rant against banning players, or even a rant against game producers or even people who pirate.

I'm just saying it's ridiculous to even consider letting the banning of a gamer due to an infraction on a forum let alone banning a player from the product they paid for, the game is a product, online is a service.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
when it comes to business to business exchanges, sure. both parties are almost always equally represented with legal counsel. however, when it comes to business to consumer exchanges there is no precedent that says a product you bought can be taken away from you based on the whims of the seller. in business to business exchanges both parties right up contracts, they negotiate and come to terms. break the terms and the courts are called in to settle it. with business to consumer you have the business writing the contract and the consumer simply agreeing to purchase that product without any counter legal representation. this is exactly why we have consumer advocacy groups. people are simply to lazy to read the agreements they sign and companies like EA take advantage of that. there has to be a balanced decision that enforces the ToS but also limits the sellers ability to take advantage of or abuse the consumer. and since we can't go around forcing everyone to read and fully understand the ToS, since not everyone can afford legal counsel for their daily transactions, we have to settle for middle ground.

Again, you aren't purchasing a physical product, you are purchasing the license to use the service/software, and there is plenty of precedent that says the user's privilege to use the service/software can be revoked at the service/software provider's determination that the license terms were violated.

And yes, everyone should be forced to read and understand the ToS, especially since most are written in easy to understand language. We should not allow "I didn't read it" to be a valid argument to negate a contract. If you don't want to read it, or you don't understand it, then you shouldn't agree to it, period.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
there is plenty of precedent that says the user's privilege to use the service/software can be revoked at the service/software provider's determination that the license terms were violated.

not to this degree. there isn't a single case where the producer has revoked the consumer's ability to use the product (not service) he or she bought because that person broke the terms on separate service. id like to see this go to court. i mean, it would be like microsoft revoking people's windows licenses because they mouthed off on a microsoft windows phone forum.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Pretty soon half you guys will end up paying a nickle for every 10 minutes of game play in Single Player.

that would be awesome,considering the length of most sp games

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
not to this degree. there isn't a single case where the producer has revoked the consumer's ability to use the product (not service) he or she bought because that person broke the terms on separate service. id like to see this go to court. i mean, it would be like microsoft revoking people's windows licenses because they mouthed off on a microsoft windows phone forum.

Except, as I said, this isn't a physical product. Both things provided by EA are services, the game and the forums are both considered services provided by EA. When you buy the game, you are really paying for the license to use the service.

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Except, as I said, this isn't a physical product. Both things provided by EA are services, the game and the forums are both considered services provided by EA. When you buy the game, you are really paying for the license to use the service.

where do you get that from? you still have yet to show where in the EULA it says a forum ban results in a game account ban. you are simply trying to find ways to make this seems logical when it isn't.

when you buy the game you are really agreeing to the forum service agreement? what on earth are you saying?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

from what i understand, you buy a license which is a product. i mean, they COULD call it a service, but then any product could be called a service rendering the terms meaningless. in effect, you have EA taking back the ability of a user to use the product they bought from EA based on reasons NOT associated with using said product but from using a service associated with the product. this is why i would like this to go to court. we need to come up with a better definition of "association." can microsoft remove your windows 7 license because they saw you bad mouthing it on facebook?

i mean, i know what you are saying. if everyone read the ToS then EA would never in a million years get away with this bullshit. but unfortunately kids these days only know how to complain, rather than act in a way that changes the behavior they don't like. we need a system that enforces ToS contracts but also prevents companies from totally enslaving the population.

Last edited:
System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Seems harsh but cannot help feeling that if ya a dick on the forums i don't want to bump in to you in a game because you just be a dick.

Well if it is anything as strict as steam forums I got banned on there for mentioning how pirates were enjoying a game I couldn't (can't recall the details).

I was like really?

So this does suck.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
from what i understand, you buy a license which is a product. i mean, they COULD call it a service, but then any product could be called a service rendering the terms meaningless. in effect, you have EA taking back the ability of a user to use the product they bought from EA based on reasons NOT associated with using said product but from using a service associated with the product. this is why i would like this to go to court. we need to come up with a better definition of "association." can microsoft remove your windows 7 license because they saw you bad mouthing it on facebook?

i mean, i know what you are saying. if everyone read the ToS then EA would never in a million years get away with this bullshit. but unfortunately kids these days only know how to complain, rather than act in a way that changes the behavior they don't like. we need a system that enforces ToS contracts but also prevents companies from totally enslaving the population.

No matter how much you try to make it seem like we are talking about tangible products, we are not. When you buy software you aren't given a license that is yours forever. The license is a privilege to use the software as long as you abide by the rules. In effect, you are paying for the privilege to use the software and that is it, you are not getting anything tangible, so yes it is essentially a service.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
I saw class action lawsuits mentioned earlier in this thread. There will be no class action lawsuits over this because it's prohibited by the ToS.

:)

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
No matter how much you try to make it seem like we are talking about tangible products, we are not. When you buy software you aren't given a license that is yours forever. The license is a privilege to use the software as long as you abide by the rules. In effect, you are paying for the privilege to use the software and that is it, you are not getting anything tangible, so yes it is essentially a service.

You are assuming that the TOS are binding, but they are by no means infallible and may be deemed abusive by a court of law. Legislation can not keep pace with technological advances and EA, once again, shows its most humane and caring side when it attempts to define the postures that should be assumed in company-client relations.

This is clearly abusive, as the Rhino said, nothing prevents them from banning those who infringe the rules from the forum or game in question: there is no need for a blanket ban.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the most concerning thing about htis is how your accounts arent for one forum, or one game - you could lose every single EA title you own from BF3 to the sims, because one underpaid (do they even get paid?) moderator was having a shitty day.

if steam is any indication, you could have thousands of dollars worth of games in that account and bam, instantly wiped.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10

And relatively new EA games also specifically states in the EULA that they are able to "recover all forms of the product" once they have decided to "completely withdraw it (the game) from the market."

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

i don't believe a license is a service since services by their nature are people based. a service is when you hire a woman to come over and clean your house. a product is the materials you purchase to clean the house yourself. the same goes with digital content. you purchase a digital movie it is yours to use forever as is. even if you break federal law they still don't take the movie away from you, they send you to court and fine you. EA offers a service where they provide a product. that doesn't make those products "services" regardless of if they tack on a license to them or not.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You are assuming that the TOS are binding, but they are by no means infallible and may be deemed abusive by a court of law. Legislation can not keep pace with technological advances and EA, once again, shows its most humane and caring side when it attempts to define the postures that should be assumed in company-client relations.

This is clearly abusive, as the Rhino said, nothing prevents them from banning those who infringe the rules from the forum or game in question: there is no need for a blanket ban.

No it isn't abusive, I actually like the policy. If you are a dick in one place, you are dick everywhere and deserve not to be allowed to use any of the services EA provides.

i don't believe a license is a service since services by their nature are people based. a service is when you hire a woman to come over and clean your house. a product is the materials you purchase to clean the house yourself. the same goes with digital content. you purchase a digital movie it is yours to use forever as is. even if you break federal law they still don't take the movie away from you, they send you to court and fine you. EA offers a service where they provide a product. that doesn't make those products "services" regardless of if they tack on a license to them or not.

Ok, then all the "services" that are provided are really products. I can play along with that, I don't agree with it, but I can play along.

So lets go back to my original example. Comcast doesn't provide services, they provide "products", because you aren't paying for a person to do something for you, you are paying for cable services...er..um...sorry, cable "products". Ok, well then it again has already been proven in court. Violating the terms of one "product" means they can take away you ability to use their other "products". It has been argued in court already.

Digital content isn't really any different. Head on over and read the UltraViolet terms.

You agree that DECE may, in its sole discretion and without notice to you or liability, restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to part or all of UltraViolet

You don't even have to do anything, they can just turn the "product" off at any time whenever they want, for whatever reason they want.

And most other digital copies of media have similar terms, they can revoke your license for the media whenever they want whenever they want.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
No it isn't abusive, I actually like the policy. If you are a dick in one place, you are dick everywhere and deserve not to be allowed to use any of the services EA provides.

Ok, then all the "services" that are provided are really products. I can play along with that, I don't agree with it, but I can play along.

So lets go back to my original example. Comcast doesn't provide services, they provide "products", because you aren't paying for a person to do something for you, you are paying for cable services...er..um...sorry, cable "products". Ok, well then it again has already been proven in court. Violating the terms of one "product" means they can take away you ability to use their other "products". It has been argued in court already.

Digital content isn't really any different. Head on over and read the UltraViolet terms.

You don't even have to do anything, they can just turn the "product" off at any time whenever they want, for whatever reason they want.

And most other digital copies of media have similar terms, they can revoke your license for the media whenever they want whenever they want.

comcast is a service. video games are products. this is why i want this to go to court. this issue is only going to be more complicated as we dive further into the digital world.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
comcast is a service. video games are products. this is why i want this to go to court. this issue is only going to be more complicated as we dive further into the digital world.

How is Comcast any more of a service than licenses to use software? There are no people serving me at Comcast, it isn't a service, they are providing a product by your definition. Someone isn't coming to my house and delivering the 1s and 0s.

Either way, I'm tired of arguing, we're just going in circles. If it goes to court, good, but it is just a waste of the courts time. Even if "morally" they shouldn't be allowed to turn off other games for violations in another service, morally you shouldn't be a dick and you won't have a problem. So the solution to the problem is just don't be a dick.

Last edited:

DragonBorn

Reading all the Replies to my OP I think some people are not seeing The Influence,s and Long time,
Effects this mite Have. Now lets just say Some Think like this Happens Some Hackers Group like.
Luzsec hit the E.A furums And Steal some gamers Furum passworlds/username,s And Leak the Data.
Over the net like there Did with Sony/Amazon.
And then some Guy post,s crap on the E.A. games web-site and the end Result was you got a ban.

And E.A Games was not Aware Of the Problem HOW would you fell then.??

Lets face it E.A games devs in suits Sat around a table Don,t Think about things like this

Last edited:
System Name Dell inspiron 5570
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
Motherboard Dell Inc.
Memory SK Hynix 4GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-19200
Video Card(s) Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Storage Intel Optane+932GBHDD w/ External Crucial M500 240GB ssd
Display(s) 15.6" w/ Extended display Samsung 27"
Audio Device(s) Realtek Audio
Mouse ONN Wireless
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64)
Benchmark Scores HaHa yeah right :p

I think it is pretty clear EA is considering themselves/games a Service. The TOS only refers to "EA Services" 120 times in it. If you dont believe that number try ctrl + f and put EA Services in the search field. Not saying it would hold in court but if a TOS is not valid then look out. :shadedshu

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
i understand what EA is doing in calling what they provide a service. it is a strategy to give them the power to remove people's ability to use the products they bought. whether that is right or wrong is for the courts to decide. personally, i think this is a terrible precedent to set and i will not buying any EA games until they address their ability to remove my ability to use something i bought from them. also, people need to know this is happening so that EA will feel the proper market pressure to change their ways.

a product is made , packaged and sold - a service is maintained by staff. it's pretty obvious what is and isn't a service, and games are not services.