• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

e8600 @ 4.5 ghz 600 fsb stable!

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
no shit sherlock lol, I admit I thanked you in jest/sarcasm...however I have no way to do so minus outside air etc or some other temporary silly solution, I may remount my true and the obvious thing which once I get other bills out of the way is get a few fans extra in my case as well as a couple high cfm fans for the true...hard to decide which monster to get though and I want something which is in my ears comfort zone, I don't mind air noise to a degree I just don't want it so loud I can't think or "screaming" bearings etc...those delta fans with 150-250 cfm look very very tempting lol...but 55-65 db of noise...not sure what that even sounds like or if I want to know:)

TheShad0W

55-65 db of noise...not sure what that even sounds like or if I want to know:)

well "normal conversation" is supposed to be 60dB, so imagine having someone sat next to you talking to you in a very dull monotonal way constantly :D

I have two 37dB scythe slipstreams on my cooler (110CFM) which aren't too irritating and a top vent fan which is only 80mm but will do 90CFM at full speed - at a cost of 50dB of noise! it's not something you'd want on full power the whole time :D

If you can afford to, get a beast of a fan controller - although bear in mind that the most all this cash is likely to buy you is an extra 150Mhz or so before you hit the wall again. I would save for a bit and try to go with water cooling.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
you obviously havent seen any of my setups.

air can be like water with the right fans.

TheShad0W

Okay, shoot, show me.

I've got a corsair H50-1 on my CPU at the minute (there are better air coolers out there but there's still only a few degrees in it and I like the H50 for it's size) and with the two 110CFM slipstreams in push-pull it still hits 80 degrees on an i5 in linpack at 4Ghz/1.34v

I could go for deltas or something obscene like that, but frankly I couldn't stand the noise :D a custom water setup with a decent rad should give a far better performance/noise ratio than the big 200CFM+ fans.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
well "normal conversation" is supposed to be 60dB, so imagine having someone sat next to you talking to you in a very dull monotonal way constantly :D

I have two 37dB scythe slipstreams on my cooler (110CFM) which aren't too irritating and a top vent fan which is only 80mm but will do 90CFM at full speed - at a cost of 50dB of noise! it's not something you'd want on full power the whole time :D

If you can afford to, get a beast of a fan controller - although bear in mind that the most all this cash is likely to buy you is an extra 150Mhz or so before you hit the wall again. I would save for a bit and try to go with water cooling.

slipstreams dont have the static pressure the 38mm thick fans have.

a single 120x38mm fan would cool as well as 2 120.25mm fans with similar CFM just because 38mm fans have quite a bit higher static pressure.

TheShad0W

Yeah, I figured ultra-kazes or an undervolted delta would give a better ratio of cooling to noise, but where I ordered them from I could get 2 slipstreams for the price of 1 ultra kaze and figured it was a better bet for minimum temps

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
Okay, shoot, show me.

I've got a corsair H50-1 on my CPU at the minute (there are better air coolers out there but there's still only a few degrees in it and I like the H50 for it's size) and with the two 110CFM slipstreams in push-pull it still hits 80 degrees on an i5 in linpack at 4Ghz/1.34v

I could go for deltas or something obscene like that, but frankly I couldn't stand the noise :D a custom water setup with a decent rad should give a far better performance/noise ratio than the big 200CFM+ fans.

your rad doesnt have enough surface area to expel the heat fast enough no matter how much cfm is going through it.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
Yeah, I figured ultra-kazes or an undervolted delta would give a better ratio of cooling to noise, but where I ordered them from I could get 2 slipstreams for the price of 1 ultra kaze and figured it was a better bet for minimum temps

?

ultra kazes are $9 each

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd

this is true, just by looking at the cfm rating on some fans out there and how many you could put in a case all blowing either on the cpu or on the cpu heatsink and comparing it to what I've done...I have noticed big differences in temps just by lowering ambient temps a few degrees, and/or directly lowering cpu temps AND ambient temps by putting some higher cfm fans with high static pressure on your cpu cooler...only drawback...noise. and this was my best attempt so far at 4.577 ghz...so close, but so far, got almost 10 full linpack runs and it decided to shit itself...however the gflops were quite nice, first time I've seen almost 32.5 and headed towards 33 gflops so it appears it was running the program correctly...sometimes when you OC too far the cpu somehow passes linpack tests, but it's almost like it throttles itself and the program sometimes and your gflops will be unusually low...has anyone else seen that? But for me it's consistent, it's only when I have an ambitious clock, with minimal voltages or something isn't tweaked well enough for the system to run correctly.

Attachments

• Capture008.jpg
    Capture008.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
System Name "I2I3 Overclocking Team"
Processor Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Stoock
Memory G.SKILLl Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Geforce 9800gx2 EVGA
Storage Sansung 500GB
Display(s) LG
Case Box motherboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores Hunt3r
very good...Be careful with your vcore
;)

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
very good...Be careful with your vcore
;)

that's nothing though, vcore up to 1.5 really doesn't scare me, heat does though, as well as just keeps the processor from working properly when it's running at such speeds, it can get away with much more heat at lower mhz and it's ok, but when it's pushed hard it's amazing how the heat threshold gets lower and lower, pretty obvious I guess when you realize all the records are set with below zero temps

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
well, I tried putting 4 dimms in my motherboard of axeram 1200, partially because I believe one to be bad for it flaked out one time on me when I really tweaked 2 gigs worth of it...I'm pretty frustrated that on first boot, I got 4 dimms at 4.5 ghz and 1212 mhz to actually boot! I expected that was not possible...ok so I linpack test them, failed on first run no real surprise..then I go and fiddle with voltages etc, won't boot at that speed, now I've gone as far as going down to 3 gigs and testing with processor at 4.3 ghz and the memory at 983 ghz or whatever...only can pass a couple runs!!! Blah...that sucks...so either I have a couple bad gigs of memory for I tried both extra sticks with the 3 gig configuration or I just really have to do something different to keep the northbridge happy and the motherboard...anyway, just a bit of a disappointment that started off looking really promising:(

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
well the effort of testing systematically and logically actually worked and paid off! I tested the two potentially "bad" mem sticks and they both gave ridiculously low gflop #'s like literally 7-8 gigaflops on the first run and then they'd give normal numbers after a couple runs...however usually I'd get them to fail anywhere between 2-10 runs....and on the first couple runs they gave the really low #'s plus would take forever to finish...tested only one other stick which I've been using with all my results and it ran several runs normally with no abnormalities...so good news I have an answer and it was satisfying to figure out so easily, bad news, I have 2 gigs of axeram which technically will boot your computer and "work" but produce errors and other than to get a pc to boot and do basic things are fairly worthless...but tis ok got them used and got my use out of all 4 sticks...so guess for now 2 gigs is all I got like it or not...I'm actually considering just keeping this one stick in there for now and see how far I can get it to go on its' own:)....hmmm...

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
ok, forgot that I had memtest built into the bios on this board, for you have to enable it to run on start and to boot into windows you have to shut it off so obviously haven't used it in a while...used it to definitively test my memory...out of 4 gigs, ONE tested perfect...one was fairly free of errors but still had a bad spot or two on a few chips so it wasn't reliable other than as a backup module just to boot a pc or use it short term in a pinch, and the other two modules...well, chuck full of errors and one I dissected to have the heatspreader for possible future use plus to get a look at the dimm and see the d9 modules which was neat...not neat that 3 gigs of ram is crap but it was used when I got it and I have had a lot of volts and up to 1300 mhz of speed through them so I have a feeling I used up the last bit of legs they had that my former owner had almost used up lol, but I had fun...and with the good 1 gig I am using I still can run windows 7 smoothly funny enough, and I fooled with some settings and managed this run!!! gigaflops are low for it's single channel and only 1 gig of ram, but by far the best speed I've attained with max mem used and no errors! Before I tried 1 gig of memory and regardless of which stick I used 4.56 was highest I got with no errors for more than 8 runs or so...I also changed the reference voltages to .67 for core 0 and .69 for core 1 and it's better than .63 or .67 or any other combination people have always said should work! I just think it's funny for I've never seen anyone suggest or say this vtt reference voltage combination is good or even would work, but seems this chip likes it! Now I just need to buy some more high speed ddr2 memory lol.

Last edited:
Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
forgotten screen shot to last post...

ok, this is my screenshot for 1 gig max memory 20 runs stability at 4.59....

Attachments

• Capture002.jpg
    Capture002.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 465
Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
4.551 ghz with 3 gigs memory stable!

I was having slowdowns particularly in crysis with 2 gigs of memory and even in other things on occasion to a lesser degree so I took the one good stick of axeram I had left and put it with the 2 gig set of 800 mhz super talent memory and managed this successful 20 run quarter of an hour linx run after some setting tweaks!

Attachments

• Capture005.jpg
    Capture005.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 443