1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA-DICE Frostbite Titles in 2013 Will Require 64-bit Windows

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, May 24, 2012.

1. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    IMO, computers that are running a 32 bit OS, and do NOT meet the minimum system requirements(hardware wise) for a game are not considered part of the target market.

People just whining to whine. :slap:

If EA/DICE support a simultaneous 32 bit executable, that means they have to split their dev team up even more than they already cut all the corners they can. (while the 32 bit exe becomes used by noone except hackers that are looking for a secondary exploit.)

seems to me, like a rock solid idea, RIGHT BF3? Completely bug free!

Windows x64 has been the same product package since vista x64, there really is NO reason not to be running windows 7 x64 if you have windows 7. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 27, 2012
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It's a series of #IFDEF in the code. It isn't very difficult to write code to support compiling both. Competent programmers have been doing this for many years.

That's 128 sticks of 8 GiB (highest density available) RAM for ONE processor. I don't know of any systems that even come close to that. Systems with >1 TB RAM are clusters. Each processor has a small pool of memory and they send requests amongst themselves to copy data between them. A processor in one node of the cluster can't directly access the RAM of another without requesting it through the target node's processor(s).

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Yet it's doesn't take much for the code readability to become like this.
    Thus, the less #ifdef and such needs to be used, the happier the devs are. That is a good thing for the users, if You know what I mean...

4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    its funny but there is no means of getting the 1 and 0 anymore efficient then they are lol

5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    single channel? Fail.

Why not dual channel for 16GB

6. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    The only thing that really bothers developers is feature creep. It's gonna suck when EA tells DICE the number of support calls their getting and DICE has to go back to all the code they wrote specifically for 64-bit and add those IFDEFs retrospectively. It would have been wise to do it in the first place.
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Writing the code is probably not the issue, it isn't hard to program a game to use a DX9 rendering path either, but EA-DICE doesn't do it. Beyond just writing the code, there is testing it. Having a 32 and 64-bit exe means more QA time. Especially with the 32-bit exe, because they are obviously writing the game to be 64-bit native, and are also assuming at least 4GB of RAM(otherwise why 64-bit?). So to support 32-bit means they will have to do a lot of QA to make sure the game doesn't crash or freaks out when limited to less than 4GB.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Because that is an easy fix for actually utilizing >4gb of ram. :rolleyes: (among other possible 64 bit features.)

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    because performance gains are negligible between single and dual channel, machines like bigger frame buffers, it really doesnt care about what speed they operate at since now most FSBs run at a different speed than the Ram itself

10. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    No, no they are not. Where did you get this information? If you're gonna argue this, you better provide some hard benchmarks.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You're both right. Single threaded performance will see no benefit of memory running in unganged dual-channel mode where the channels are split in to two 64-bit memory interfaces enabling two separate memory operations per full dram read/write cycles, however applications that have long words in memory could benefit from dual-channel ganged mode (1 large 128-bit memory interface, rather than 2 smaller ones.) Dual-channel and unganged mode show their colors when you use two threads, like how quad-channel doesn't show its true colors unless you start using 3 or more threads. This is an excellent example of how the 2600k and 2700k compare to the 3820, where single-threaded memory tasks on SB takes off, but add a couple threads and the 3820 eats the 2600k alive beyond 2 threads of heavy memory usage. I've only owned AMD motherboards that have allowed me to run dual-channel memory in ganged mode, though, but I'm not sure if this is a AMD specific ability (I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.)

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  12. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    Finally!!!

13. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    The extra QA is for 64-bit (troubleshooting usage of the extra registers), not 32-bit. It is also quite simple to tell if a program ran out of memory and custom service already recommends upgrading computers frequently. It represents very little change from the current support model.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:

If you're going to cater to a game engine crippled by 32 bit, then why even code a 64 bit version? :rolleyes:

i.e. crysis 2. Made for xbox, plays like an xbox on PC. BF3, made for a PC, plays like a PC.

10 Year Member at TPU