• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA will never again capture the essence of the FIRST Need For Speed

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
carbon was easy,you can practically finish it less than a day because you don't need do any like smash some police cars or something,undercover is just same story but with new cars..
I don't like the fact you have to switch cars i like it with you can use any car you want and race them in their supercar and you in your i dunno..a 206 or scirocco.
The new one is just going be prostreet or somekind.
Most wanted was the best for me and underground 2 after not playing for several months/years the control is so sensitive you crash into the wall easily

AltecV1

Processor C2D E8400@3.6 ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5KPL-AM
Cooling Freezer 7 pro
Memory Kingston 4GB 800Mhz cl6
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 700/1000 + Accelero S1 Rev. 2
Storage WD 250 GB AAKS
Display(s) 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Audio Device(s) int.
Power Supply Forton Blue Storm II 500W
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
i would say the underground series was THE BEST!!! i never understood why they took the customization away:confused: the recept for the new need for speed should be:grafics from pro street(the best in the need for speed series,SOOO crisp and pretty),driving engine and the world conepte from most wanted(it had the best driving experience) and the moding from the underground series:) how can ea not see the the best need for speed game ever under theyre own noeses:shadedshu ea->:nutkick:<-need for speed fans

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Stock
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4x4 1866@99927 1.41v
Video Card(s) Sapphire 280x
Display(s) crossover
Case junk
Audio Device(s) usbstick
Power Supply enermax 82+pro 5years+ still good
You are right. NFS I was AWESOME. Gamequality was totally maxxed out in every aspect,
at that point of time, of course. I played a few racing games later on and quite enjoyed them,
but nfs successors where not among them.

System Name Quiet Gaming PC v5
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 (rev. 1.2)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE Rev. C
Memory 2x16GB TeamGroup Vulcan Z Red DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT 309 RX 6700 XT
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe // TeamGroup MP34 4TB NVMe // Crucial MX100 512GB
Display(s) MSI G27CQ4 E2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1200
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard MKPlus Slayer M3 RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro
I remember playing THE (there is only one) Need for Speed on my Saturn.... ah good old times. I even had the unlock code to that awesome secret super car memorized. Every time I look at the current NFS games I die a little bit inside :(

Rey17

System Name Dell Inspiron 1525 (Laptop)
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHZ
Memory 2GB
Video Card(s) Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 15.4" LCD
Case Dell Inspiron
Software Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1
It's the whole point of a racing game... Though assuming you have a fair point, it would also be boring to be in your car all the time, so it needs the ability to get out of your car as well. In fact, there should be aliens and time travelers who are after your ... whatever.
Just read the first sentence I wrote.

I liked NFS2/NFS2 SE best. Had a certain feeling the others didn't.

i seriously didnt get you after the first sentence.... you kinda drifted off into GTA and alien thing....lolz

but, underground 2 was/is the best..... this is because you could literally add and change so much in the game... including the interior... hydraulics.... NEON LIGHTS !! and stereo system... now that is a street racing game... i hope they bring those things back... and allow us to add way more things to our cars... like in nfs underground 2.... and more stuff like change your interior seats... cd system...add our own songs to play while we race..... change gas and brake pedals and theres a huge list of what you could do up in a car.....

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
O don't know. Street racing and tuning is nice and all, but driving a car you can't even afford in your dreams trough a beautiful scenery, its just a whole different league. YOu can almost think of two different series named the same. Street, and luxury. And as much as I enjoy tuning old beaters into hp-bursting monsters, I prefer luxury.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
i seriously didnt get you after the first sentence.... you kinda drifted off into GTA and alien thing....lolz

but, underground 2 was/is the best..... this is because you could literally add and change so much in the game... including the interior... hydraulics.... NEON LIGHTS !! and stereo system... now that is a street racing game... i hope they bring those things back... and allow us to add way more things to our cars... like in nfs underground 2.... and more stuff like change your interior seats... cd system...add our own songs to play while we race..... change gas and brake pedals and theres a huge list of what you could do up in a car.....

his basiclly saying NFS should be like GTA lol where you can go in and out of your car,i was thinking it be nicer if its abit similar to test drive unlimited where you can customise the avatar and stuff,but i like it better without seeing who the guy is because then nobody would do some crazy pep talk of racism or something not using blah blah

K

kyle2020

/nostalgia.

Personally I started playing NFS games when underground came to the PS2, and have had every release bar the latest undercover, and honestly I have loved every single one.

People that claim EA have failed with nfs over 'x' ammount of years cannot represent all the nfs followers, such as myself. And, tbh, im getting fed up of people salting EA because they get nostalgic once in a while.

/mini rant.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

You just named everything that was completely pointless in the game. None of those do you any good in street racing. Having a good looking car doesn't matter at all in street racing. All that matters is who you are faster than. The Fast and The Furious has fooled anyone who thinks otherwise. Take it froma real ex-street racer.

As far as Banjoman's comments, it was sarcasm for those that didn't get it. His point is that NFS are racing games, and getting out of the car is pointless and stupid. If that's the type of game you are after, you are looking at buying GTA, not NFS. Peolpe that buy racing games, want to race, and don't care about getting out of the car. People that want a game like GTA don't bother looking at racing games.

In other words, he is saying their is no connection between the 2, and neither effects the other's sales.

/nostalgia.

Personally I started playing NFS games when underground came to the PS2, and have had every release bar the latest undercover, and honestly I have loved every single one.

People that claim EA have failed with nfs over 'x' ammount of years cannot represent all the nfs followers, such as myself. And, tbh, im getting fed up of people salting EA because they get nostalgic once in a while.

/mini rant.

Well, that may be your opinion, but those of us that have played all the games in the franchise have seen how they have gone downhill. Sequels are supposed to at least be as good as it's predecessor, but optimally, better than they're predecessor. This hasn't been the case with the NFS series. Game play has gone way down hill. People bash EA because it is nothing but a cash cow to them anymore. They don't even attempt to improve anything but the graphics anymore. They've reduced themselves to relying on the series name to make sales, instead of giving us worthwhile content. Hell, they barely even patch bugs once they release the game.

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I like the customization options such as lights, stereo's etc (i know they arent useful really in a game, but ) its like achievements. E-bling that shows youve played the game enough to afford it. Just like unlockable armors or guns or clothes or whatever.

As for real street racers, i dont claim to be one, as i've never had a car fast enough to really compete, but I used to hang with a friend of mine who did, because i helped build his sound system, which won alot of competitions. At those competitions a lot of racing (both legal and illegal) was done, and I can say, yes there were many sleepers, but no matter who won the races, the hottest car was the one with the lights and NOS purge kits, and hydrolics and pounding stereos. Sure they didnt always win the race, but more often than not if you've got the money to pour into the exterior, youve got the money to pour into the engine too. And of course... the chicks dont care who wins the race... they care who has the most awesome car for them to get thier pictures taken all over.

I guess if you're looking for a pure racing game, then i understand. But i figure why not have extra features, even if only to distract you every once in awhile. I personally dont like point-to-point racing all the time. I like a little free-roam mixed in.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
I like the customization options such as lights, stereo's etc (i know they arent useful really in a game, but ) its like achievements. E-bling that shows youve played the game enough to afford it. Just like unlockable armors or guns or clothes or whatever.

As for real street racers, i dont claim to be one, as i've never had a car fast enough to really compete, but I used to hang with a friend of mine who did, because i helped build his sound system, which won alot of competitions. At those competitions a lot of racing (both legal and illegal) was done, and I can say, yes there were many sleepers, but no matter who won the races, the hottest car was the one with the lights and NOS purge kits, and hydrolics and pounding stereos. Sure they didnt always win the race, but more often than not if you've got the money to pour into the exterior, youve got the money to pour into the engine too. And of course... the chicks dont care who wins the race... they care who has the most awesome car for them to get thier pictures taken all over.

I guess if you're looking for a pure racing game, then i understand. But i figure why not have extra features, even if only to distract you every once in awhile. I personally dont like point-to-point racing all the time. I like a little free-roam mixed in.
Underground 2 did have free roam. You just didn't get out of the car. If you want to get out of the car, NFS isn't what you would be looking to buy anyway. That was Dan's point.

And real street racers don't give a shit about the looks of their car, or what the women think. All they care about is the money. All that money they poured into looks and interior could've been used to make the car even faster still. If it's not functional in a race, it's garbage in a real racer's eyes.

@RaXxaa@

System Name ROG
Processor AMD PhenomII X6 1090T 3.2-4.0 GHZ
Motherboard Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Memory OCZ Gold 1333 4GB
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5850
Storage 1000GB SeaGate Sata
Case Thermaltake V4
Audio Device(s) Built in
Power Supply OCZ Modextreme 700W
Software Win7 & Win2k8 server
Benchmark Scores Almost 20300 in 3D 06 6.9 IN Cinebench 11.5 CPU Score
I have to agree nfs has lost it, after underground 2 the best race game ever it was lost cause to continue, at the tym of nfs most wanted it was very well clear the Ea industry is goin after realism, the need to make arcade games not simulations, if nfs underground2 or and lower series were on the 360 or ps3 ppl wud never ever but PGR3 or forzamotorsport2...
if even now they came up with underground 3 on street racing it wud be a great hit, if he do come up with closed track racing as in nfs shift, no one wud spend $50 on th crap! they dnt realise that they need to maKE it more arcade as in driving and crashing and well not the story cuz underground never had a gr8 story but was better thn playing nfs carbon or mostwanted! i hope EA learns frm threads lyk this and improves rather then think much cuz we r the fans/players and we know what we want... :rockout: :rockout: :toast:
if they dont come up with arcade style street racing then rather then simulatory closed track races then :nutkick: to EA

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
And real street racers don't give a shit about the looks of their car, or what the women think. All they care about is the money.

I would tend to think thats a little bit too narrow to be true. A "real street-racer" is, by definition, someone who street races (one could also argue that to be a "real street racer" you'd also have to win sometimes, and I can concede that) And i know plenty of people who fulfill both requirements, but like to do so in style, and spend nearly as much on thier exterior as the guts. If you like racing, but also like to look good, that doesnt make you any less of a racer. And looks dont make your car any less functional in a race, or any slower. So why not have both?

And I know NFSU2 had free-roam, and I pretty much enjoyed it. I cant comment on the older ones as i never really played them more than a couple of times, but i liked UG2 much more than UG because of the free roam. The point to point was just helped by the downtime of free-roaming in between. Kept it from getting monotonous.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
I would tend to think thats a little bit too narrow to be true. A "real street-racer" is, by definition, someone who street races (one could also argue that to be a "real street racer" you'd also have to win sometimes, and I can concede that) And i know plenty of people who fulfill both requirements, but like to do so in style, and spend nearly as much on thier exterior as the guts. If you like racing, but also like to look good, that doesnt make you any less of a racer. And looks dont make your car any less functional in a race, or any slower. So why not have both?

And I know NFSU2 had free-roam, and I pretty much enjoyed it. I cant comment on the older ones as i never really played them more than a couple of times, but i liked UG2 much more than UG because of the free roam. The point to point was just helped by the downtime of free-roaming in between. Kept it from getting monotonous.
Yeah, looks do hurt the speed of the car. All that stereo equipment adds unneeded weight, as do body kits(tho, the guys that also use their cars as daily drivers will do some minor stereo upgrading, maybe even as far as a sub, but none of the extremely heavy and custom enclosures and amp racks you see in some cars). Not to mention the aero repercussions of body kits and giant ass wings causing excessive drag. The only time they add aero parts is if it benefits them, like additional cooling offered by a larger front opening, or brake cooling offered by side ducts, or they need a little downforce because their car is unstable at speed without it.

Simply put, people that street race seriously do not do these things. Those that do these things aren't serious about racing, and do it to look cool. The real-deal, serious street races are not like Hot Import Nights, like F&F and NFS:U would have you believe. They don't do things like neons or hydros. Those are completely useless and stupid for racing.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
@ Wiley
Of course they're completely useless for racing. From what i've seen though, that extra ten pounds for a sub does not win/lose races. And most body kits are at least as aerodynamic or more than thier stock counterparts. As for being serious, to ironically quote the very movie you hate so much, "winning is winning." (i obviously do not agree that the movie is realistic either, its just an appropriate quote.) I figure anyone who wins the races is serious. And by your own philosophy, if you win the race, then who cares what you have bolted onto the exterior? If you can win with a body kit and neon on, then why not? Ive seen plenty of people win races (my own friend with the massive sound system included) with body kits and neon and all that fast and furious stuff. Ive also seen them lose to sleepers. But i would tend to think your own philosphy would dictate that just because you have body kits bolted on does not make you a poser. Its all about whether you win the race. And if you can do that while looking good more power to you right? Whats so wrong with looking awesome while you race?

Of course im not talking about 8-sub racks and tv's and such... but ive never seen those in a car that claimed to be a "real racer" anyway. They're mostly in suv's and crossovers, like scions and such.

By the same token, why add lights and such to a computer's interior? They create heat, however little, and use up juice. But most enthusiasts' computers have cooling and power enough to overcome that. And most racers cars have horsepower enough to overcome drag caused by thier exterior mods.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
i remember playing the first need for speed game as well. i was a bit older than you tho. it was a great arcade style racer and i loved outrunning the cops. hot pursuit sealed the deal making it the best arcade style racer in existence. i grew up on the original test drive so i think i can say i appreciate a solid racer! video here! you old schoolers will appreciate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU5amACWohc

i fell in love with the 3rd one as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Bp3N9TdLc&feature=related

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
@ Wiley
Of course they're completely useless for racing. From what i've seen though, that extra ten pounds for a sub does not win/lose races. And most body kits are at least as aerodynamic or more than thier stock counterparts. As for being serious, to ironically quote the very movie you hate so much, "winning is winning." (i obviously do not agree that the movie is realistic either, its just an appropriate quote.) I figure anyone who wins the races is serious. And by your own philosophy, if you win the race, then who cares what you have bolted onto the exterior? If you can win with a body kit and neon on, then why not? Ive seen plenty of people win races (my own friend with the massive sound system included) with body kits and neon and all that fast and furious stuff. Ive also seen them lose to sleepers. But i would tend to think your own philosphy would dictate that just because you have body kits bolted on does not make you a poser. Its all about whether you win the race. And if you can do that while looking good more power to you right? Whats so wrong with looking awesome while you race?

Of course im not talking about 8-sub racks and tv's and such... but ive never seen those in a car that claimed to be a "real racer" anyway. They're mostly in suv's and crossovers, like scions and such.

By the same token, why add lights and such to a computer's interior? They create heat, however little, and use up juice. But most enthusiasts' computers have cooling and power enough to overcome that. And most racers cars have horsepower enough to overcome drag caused by thier exterior mods.
I don't put that crap in my computer either.

And most body kits create much more drag than the sock body work, as 90% of all the kits out there are for looks, not function. You go for the looks, you go slower.

And if a person doesn't add that crap to their car, they will be even faster, on top of having more money available to make their car even faster still. That's "why not". If it isn't functional, it doesn't go on in a real racer's eyes. (Those that are there consistantly for money, not fame or popularity or for a fun night out) And subs weight more than 10lbs, btw, but that doesn't matter, reread my previous post about that. The only time a serious racer puts things on their car, is if it serves a functional purpose, in the case of a daily driver/weekend racer, the stereo serves a purpose in the car's day to day use, but you will never see anything extravagant and heavy.

Anything that isn't functional, is quite simply rice.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well then define what a "real street-racer" is. By deduction it should be " a person who street races" but i figure you have quite a bit different definition. Like i said, I would define a real street racer as "a person who *wins* street races" even though its not pure definition. I would say you are a "racing enthusiast" as well as a street racer, but to say that someone is not a real street racer even when they win races is a bit unfair. Yes, its just "rice" as you put it, but if you like it, but still win races, how does that make you less of a racer? If your sleeper got beat by someone who put more money into his engine AND more money into his exterior, (and more money into driving school, so he could drive better, just to rule out the possiblity that you beat him in driving skills) would you still say he was not a real racer?

As for the computer bits, I would like to see what happens if you accuse those on this site who do have lights, exterior mods, etc that arent functional "not real computer enthusiasts" or not real overclockers, or whatnot. I would assume you count them as real computer enthusiasts, do you not? How is that any different. Just because you dont put any of it in your computer doesnt mean someone else shouldnt.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Well then define what a "real street-racer" is. By deduction it should be " a person who street races" but i figure you have quite a bit different definition. Like i said, I would define a real street racer as "a person who *wins* street races" even though its not pure definition. I would say you are a "racing enthusiast" as well as a street racer, but to say that someone is not a real street racer even when they win races is a bit unfair. Yes, its just "rice" as you put it, but if you like it, but still win races, how does that make you less of a racer? If your sleeper got beat by someone who put more money into his engine AND more money into his exterior, (and more money into driving school, so he could drive better, just to rule out the possiblity that you beat him in driving skills) would you still say he was not a real racer?

As for the computer bits, I would like to see what happens if you accuse those on this site who do have lights, exterior mods, etc that arent functional "not real computer enthusiasts" or not real overclockers, or whatnot. I would assume you count them as real computer enthusiasts, do you not? How is that any different. Just because you dont put any of it in your computer doesnt mean someone else shouldnt.
I have already defined "real" racers. Those that do it seriously for the money, not for a night out on the town. They are there week after week to "earn a paycheck", so to speak.

Like I said, I was a real street racer. I spent years out there before finally getting busted. The guys that took it seriously, did not put flashy, useless stuff on their cars. This is not a matter of my opinion, this is personal experience in the real world, and what I have seen with my own eyes. Those that put that stuff on their cars were almost always less serious about it, and didn't show up just to win money, but to try to show off as well. Thank God that shit doesn't fly well in my area. The last thing we needed was some HIN bs drawing unneeded attention to our activities. The more flashy a car is, the more attention it draws, both good and bad.

As far as the computer comment, I feel that way about my computers as well. LEDs and Neons are the rice of the computer world. Do you think hipro or kingpin spends time making their bench rigs pretty? No, because they are the "serious racers" of the computer world. They use what works, nothing more, nothing less.

Notice that nowhere did I ever mention the word enthusiast. Enthusiasts can and do focus on looks as well. But enthusiasts does not mean they are serious racers, even if they do happen to win on occasion.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, the friend I speak of definitely fits the "earning a paycheck" bill... he didnt have a job, and funded his car as well as his rent with racing. He did auto repairs freelance when he could get the work, but thats the only thing close to a real job he had. Of course he was an idiot and ended up getting busted for trying to steal an engine from a shop... but that has nothing to do with his racing.
I guess i will have to admit I know less about it, not being an actual racer myself, but from what i've seen, and what i think, the real racers are the ones who win the races, bar nothing. And ive seen plenty of flashed up rice rockets win races. If youre utilitarian, more power to you, but I still maintain that there is nothing wrong with aesthetics.
And all those hardcore benchers im sure they dont spend time making them pretty, because they are for one-off record-breaking runs. I understand that kind of thing. But I bet they have done case modding, and probably even have a rig or two with some neon and such. Or at least they can apprieciate that those that do are "real." I use the word "enthusiast" for lack of better word.

We're really hijacking this thread, lol, so i suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. I dont hold any contempt for people who run sleepers, and I would expect those who do to respect those who like to look pretty while doing what they love... unfortunatly, thats usually not the case.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Well, the friend I speak of definitely fits the "earning a paycheck" bill... he didnt have a job, and funded his car as well as his rent with racing. He did auto repairs freelance when he could get the work, but thats the only thing close to a real job he had. Of course he was an idiot and ended up getting busted for trying to steal an engine from a shop... but that has nothing to do with his racing.
I guess i will have to admit I know less about it, not being an actual racer myself, but from what i've seen, and what i think, the real racers are the ones who win the races, bar nothing. And ive seen plenty of flashed up rice rockets win races. If youre utilitarian, more power to you, but I still maintain that there is nothing wrong with aesthetics.
And all those hardcore benchers im sure they dont spend time making them pretty, because they are for one-off record-breaking runs. I understand that kind of thing. But I bet they have done case modding, and probably even have a rig or two with some neon and such. Or at least they can apprieciate that those that do are "real." I use the word "enthusiast" for lack of better word.

We're really hijacking this thread, lol, so i suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Yeah, they may case mod, but they don't do it on their race machine. Get the jist of what I am saying now? There is a differentiation between someone who is an enthusiast (regardless of how hardcore they may be), and someone who is a serious racer. I said that stuff doesnt belong at the races. I didn't say it doesn't have it's place at all.

And I agree, we are drifting way off here.

I just wish they would bring the mod system back, even if I have to deal with things I deem useless for my needs. At least I'd have my serious power mods and dyno time back.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
But what about the person who wins races in his prettied up rice rocket while maintaining 6ghz on the water cooled computer hooked up to the 40inch lcd in the trunk? Sorry i couldnt help it... Im just saying there are people who like to combine thier work and fun, and I dont believe that makes them any less "real." If thats a problem, then I guess we'll just have to leave it at that.

And yes, I would miss the tweaking and dyno'ing (if i played the newer games) That was the best part, getting everything just perfect.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
But what about the person who wins races in his prettied up rice rocket while maintaining 6ghz on the water cooled computer hooked up to the 40inch lcd in the trunk? Sorry i couldnt help it... Im just saying there are people who like to combine thier work and fun, and I dont believe that makes them any less "real." If thats a problem, then I guess we'll just have to leave it at that.

And yes, I would miss the tweaking and dyno'ing (if i played the newer games) That was the best part, getting everything just perfect.

I have never met a single soul serious about street racing, that put neons and other useless bits on their car. Those that did put those bits on their car, were not serious about racing, and were only there to have fun, and sometimes they would win a few dollars, but usually went home with their tail between their legs, never to be seen again. The type of person you are referring to, doesn't actually exist in real life, at least around here. lol. Meh, whatever.

Bring back the mods!!!!!!!

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, they do exist around here. (the ones who have looks and still win, not the ones with 6ghz computers in thier trunks, lol) Granted, arkansas is not the hottest racing scene around, but cars dont get slower because of what state/country youre in. And I promise they arent a bunch of F&F kids... even i know thats not how it goes. We have our fair share of posers who go home with thier tail between thier legs, but we also have our fair share of sleepers who sneer at the "pretty boys" and then get beat and do the same.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Well, they do exist around here. (the ones who have looks and still win, not the ones with 6ghz computers in thier trunks, lol) Granted, arkansas is not the hottest racing scene around, but cars dont get slower because of what state/country youre in. And I promise they arent a bunch of F&F kids... even i know thats not how it goes. We have our fair share of posers who go home with thier tail between thier legs, but we also have our fair share of sleepers who sneer at the "pretty boys" and then get beat and do the same.

Now, you do know I'm referring to all of this in the context of Underground 2, right? Things like neons, molded trunks with huge sub setups and 300lbs of wood and fiberglass, and hydros and the likes? Not really referring to decals, or a good paint job, or functional body kits, or things like that.