• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA's Latest Attempt To Sabotage BF3

ctrain

I`m saying EA pays Valve to place patch on there system,Then has to pay them to have the DLC,So if we pay $9 FOR A DLC EA is Paying like $14 for that plus what ever patch they release.So with Origin they will not have to pay out their ass for us to have DLC and patches,It would explain why some company`s release a patch on day 1 or 2 .Then wait until after the 3 months of sales to see if it is worth the time to continue with DLC and patches.Take Home--Front as an example.

pretty sure this is not how it works.

steam takes a cut for the base game (don't know how they handle paid content), but afaik, it's more or less the lowest amount of any distribution service and i'm pretty sure it costs nothing for developers to push and deploy patches / free content... because that's the exact problem valve sought to avoid. MS charges a hefty amount for distributing patches past the first one or something like that, which is one reason why TF2 on the 360 updated so slow. unless you defer your patches into one giant fucking bundle, you are literally pissing money away over what should be completely trivial to do.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
pretty sure this is not how it works.

steam takes a cut for the base game (don't know how they handle paid content), but afaik, it's more or less the lowest amount of any distribution service and i'm pretty sure it costs nothing for developers to push and deploy patches / free content... because that's the exact problem valve sought to avoid. MS charges a hefty amount for distributing patches past the first one or something like that, which is one reason why TF2 on the 360 updated so slow. unless you defer your patches into one giant fucking bundle, you are literally pissing money away over what should be completely trivial to do.

This is pretty much the case. To my knowledge Valve only takes a very small percentage of each sale compared to other places, and the publishers I believe still have decent control over what price their games are sold at. I think Valve even sells a lot of games at a loss during their big sales. As far as Patches are concerned, there is no way it costs people money like on Xbox Live, otherwise I wouldn't get patches for AAAGH like once a week because it's a tiny indie developer. Most companies avoid the patch system altogether by having a Patcher that launches with the game. DLC probably costs something because it's stored on Steam Servers, but I doubt it's enough to prevent companies from being profitable.

The key point, is that the game is only not appearing on Steam, and something tells me it's EA's fault. I find it hard to believe that Valve is the one saying they don't want to distribute BF3\ME3, especially considering EA bragged they would be Origin Exclusives months ago.

System Name Wopper
Processor Intel i5 3570 @ 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 760 3Gb w/acx cooling
Storage 120Gb Evo SSD + 2 GB Games + 1.5 TB Data
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2268WM 22-Inch 120 Hz 3D-Ready
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Realtec onboard
Power Supply Antec TruePower New 550W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
I`m saying EA pays Valve to place patch on there system,Then has to pay them to have the DLC,So if we pay $9 FOR A DLC EA is Paying like $14 for that plus what ever patch they release.So with Origin they will not have to pay out their ass for us to have DLC and patches,It would explain why some company`s release a patch on day 1 or 2 .Then wait until after the 3 months of sales to see if it is worth the time to continue with DLC and patches.Take Home--Front as an example.

EA doesn't have to pay shit(even that much), i don't understand how EA has to pay a shit load of money for DLC's. People can let this fly over there heads like nothing. Its add/on content, you already payed for the license to use the software. There taking even more money off you, for extra content on a licensed software your already payed for COMPLETELY AND FULLLLY.

Some of that DLC is probably shit they already made while actually designing the game, they just tweak the extra stuff the leave out on release, and release it later, with just tweaks and charge you money for it. Its like paying for a extra 30 seconds in a song for itunes for 50 cents more.

Thats complete bullshit, people should really fuckin speak and stop letting companys take advantage of shit like that.

But thats not happening. Its being hosted online, Via servers from company's who host them, and get a profit margin from the entire game industry and everything they host.
Technically, there not wasting any resources (cd disk/Boxes/ect) its all digital, or practically endless. Its just extra data to a license of software they(you) already purchased, If they just released DLC without a price tag, that would still increase game sales, for returned profit.

But they do it the easy way, and make millions of dollars of DLC because we decide to buy it up for the prices they put them at.

Bottled water, cost more then gas today most of the time to, just look at it with a bigger perspective.

Last edited:
Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0228/technology-gabe-newell-videogames-valve-online-mayhem.html

70 million in sales with a gross profit of 55 million. Good sweet lord, that's a chunk of change well beyond most conventional game makers reckoning. Care to add any accusations of Steam gouging developer profit margins? They don't have to, period.

Consider a thought exercise. Most developers release physical media, and in-turn get maybe a 30% gross profit. Once that covers all of the costs, you're down to pennies on the dollar. If steam makes a 78% profit margin (55/70) they can pay their bills (personnel, hardware, and software updates), deliver greater margins to the developer, and still make a fat profit. Whenever you look at it, the developer can consistently make more money (10% more in a 50-50 profit split), does not have to manufacture their product (physical media carries high costs and risks), and still leaves a sizeable chunk of profits for Valve.

With everything I have said, do you not see EA's transparent motivation? They want the nearly 80% profits from everything, without having to pay a perceived "tax" to be on Steam. The problem is that Steam has withstood nerd firing squads, and proven that it is a venerable and trusted solution. EA has proven that they will screw consumers left and right for the perceived threat of piracy. They have released half baked DRM schemes again and again, without the slightest breath between screaming that sales are down and the cause must be consumer piracy. They piss on their customer base, and wonder why their sales figures are decreasing.

~sigh~

EA ranting is for somewhere else. It's almsot akin to trolling at this point. We all realize that they can only pull this crap off because of how big they are.

Back to the original topic. EA is trying to increase sales, without spending a whole lot of money. I view Origins as a half baked scheme by the upper level management, who thought "Hey, we're paying Valve to be on Steam. Why don't we stop paying them, and fall back on our own catalog to create a very profitable online distribution system?" without regards to the massive hardware and software investment that makes Steam so acceptable to use. It will be another goat-f***, which isn't hard to see given how many other people have tried to compete with Steam without a solid backing and an exceptional games catalog.

I wonder how long until EA realizes that even with an online presence, that it wasn't piracy that caused losses (it was their own limited vision and perceived disdain for their own customers). It will be a day in the not too distant future hopefully, maybe then EA can stop sucking so hard...

I can dream, can't I.....

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
With everything I have said, do you not see EA's transparent motivation? They want the nearly 80% profits from everything, without having to pay a perceived "tax" to be on Steam. The problem is that Steam has withstood nerd firing squads, and proven that it is a venerable and trusted solution. EA has proven that they will screw consumers left and right for the perceived threat of piracy. They have released half baked DRM schemes again and again, without the slightest breath between screaming that sales are down and the cause must be consumer piracy. They piss on their customer base, and wonder why their sales figures are decreasing.

When did EA screw the customers? I'm not following the gaming scene very close these days, but i've never understood the EA rage.

Also, duh. They're a company that has a single purpose: To make as much profit as possible.

When did EA screw the customers? I'm not following the gaming scene very close these days, but i've never understood the EA rage.

Also, duh. They're a company that has a single purpose: To make as much profit as possible.

EA hate is based upon their DRM and project $10. They actively project (in my experience) that the customer is a pirate and you should have to have their express permission (which can be revoked for any reason at all) to play anything you buy from them. EA tried to have online checks (every time you entered the game) to run their games years ago, which was immensely stupid. They tried to limit the number of installs on software on Bioshock. They charged $15 to unlock basic aspects of gameplay on Mass Effect 2, assuming you had the gall to purchase a used copy.

If you've got time, check out the South Park (crack baby basketball) episode for the general feeling I get from EA summed up into a single sentence.

I do not argue with them seeking profits. I do not believe they are in the wrong for trying this. I believe it will be a huge flop, and EA will try to say that it's the consumers' fault for the failure. This is their track record, and I will remain otherwise ambivalent until EA can prove that they are delivering something worth my time.

The hate I express for EA is not without reason, which you'll find if you look back at EA's track record. I am not opposed to capitalism and seeking a profit (McD's and Microsoft exist because they are good at what they do); I am opposed to doing something immensely foolish, then inevitably blaming your consumers for decisions that the blind man can see are foolish. Seeking to earn an extra 10 cents may well cost EA, and make it difficult for consumers to get their gaming fix.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
most of the EA rage stems from them basically running most of there older good titles straight into the ground via half baked releases and shitty support lol

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Does BFBC2 have modding tools?

No and that's why we had to wait so damn long for new maps besides just mode rehashes. And I'd still like more. As I said in the BF3 clubhouse no mod tools is hardly a deal breaker but to say it doesn't affect you in any way not to have them is a bit much imo.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
EA hate is based upon their DRM and project $10. They actively project (in my experience) that the customer is a pirate and you should have to have their express permission (which can be revoked for any reason at all) to play anything you buy from them. EA tried to have online checks (every time you entered the game) to run their games years ago, which was immensely stupid. They tried to limit the number of installs on software on Bioshock. They charged $15 to unlock basic aspects of gameplay on Mass Effect 2, assuming you had the gall to purchase a used copy.

Ahh that. It feels like that's the general direction of gaming today, not just EA.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
70 million in sales with a gross profit of 55 million. Good sweet lord, that's a chunk of change well beyond most conventional game makers reckoning. Care to add any accusations of Steam gouging developer profit margins? They don't have to, period.

Consider a thought exercise. Most developers release physical media, and in-turn get maybe a 30% gross profit. Once that covers all of the costs, you're down to pennies on the dollar. If steam makes a 78% profit margin (55/70) they can pay their bills (personnel, hardware, and software updates), deliver greater margins to the developer, and still make a fat profit. Whenever you look at it, the developer can consistently make more money (10% more in a 50-50 profit split), does not have to manufacture their product (physical media carries high costs and risks), and still leaves a sizeable chunk of profits for Valve.
They aren't accounting for the high cost of bandwidth and servers.

EA has proven that they will screw consumers left and right for the perceived threat of piracy.
EA actually isn't the worst about DRM/piracy, Ubisoft is. The examples are numerous (Tages, Star-Force, always on-connection required for single player games, etc.). The only thing EA is really guilty of is not releasing enough patches and those patches failing to remove DRM after they're done milking it.

ktr

You're not a true BF fan if you're saying that lack of mod tools ain't a big deal.

Just saying...

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II
Storage Corsair F120 SSD +9,5TB storage
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64
Benchmark Scores I only care about practical performance.
A Swedish gaming site i read daily reported a few days back that the game wont SHIP with mod tools, but that it's not impossible it will come later.

edit/ Basically the same story but the headline was "Battlefield 3 - no mod tools "right now"", im not sure if the writer is at fault or what. It didn't say anything about "right now" in the article itself.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Thanks! So BF3 not having modding tools won't make any difference to me. BC2 seems to have worked out well anyways. I've been playing BF2 for years and could care less about modding tools.

Last edited:
System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
EA doesn't have to pay shit(even that much), i don't understand how EA has to pay a shit load of money for DLC's. People can let this fly over there heads like nothing. Its add/on content, you already payed for the license to use the software. There taking even more money off you, for extra content on a licensed software your already payed for COMPLETELY AND FULLLLY.

Some of that DLC is probably shit they already made while actually designing the game, they just tweak the extra stuff the leave out on release, and release it later, with just tweaks and charge you money for it. Its like paying for a extra 30 seconds in a song for itunes for 50 cents more.

Thats complete bullshit, people should really fuckin speak and stop letting companys take advantage of shit like that.

But thats not happening. Its being hosted online, Via servers from company's who host them, and get a profit margin from the entire game industry and everything they host.
Technically, there not wasting any resources (cd disk/Boxes/ect) its all digital, or practically endless. Its just extra data to a license of software they(you) already purchased, If they just released DLC without a price tag, that would still increase game sales, for returned profit.

But they do it the easy way, and make millions of dollars of DLC because we decide to buy it up for the prices they put them at.

Bottled water, cost more then gas today most of the time to, just look at it with a bigger perspective.

http://www.neowin.net/news/ea-hints-that-valves-steam-wont-give-ea-control-over-patches-and-dlc
;)

Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0228/technology-gabe-newell-videogames-valve-online-mayhem.html

~sigh~

EA ranting is for somewhere else. It's almsot akin to trolling at this point. We all realize that they can only pull this crap off because of how big they are.

Back to the original topic. EA is trying to increase sales, without spending a whole lot of money. I view Origins as a half baked scheme by the upper level management, who thought "Hey, we're paying Valve to be on Steam. Why don't we stop paying them, and fall back on our own catalog to create a very profitable online distribution system?" without regards to the massive hardware and software investment that makes Steam so acceptable to use. It will be another goat-f***, which isn't hard to see given how many other people have tried to compete with Steam without a solid backing and an exceptional games catalog.

I wonder how long until EA realizes that even with an online presence, that it wasn't piracy that caused losses (it was their own limited vision and perceived disdain for their own customers). It will be a day in the not too distant future hopefully, maybe then EA can stop sucking so hard...

I can dream, can't I.....

Amen dude ,I just hope that other company`s won`t follow the $$$ greed,I read today EA buys PopCap Games for 750 mill uhm ...And they say EA is trying to sabotage BF3 from it being absent on Steam.....The Origin/Steam Diva Opera continues.

In case some of you are wondering I am neutral about all this I like Steam and have been a user since it`s release in Oct 20003, So I just hope EA does not charge us a few $ for DLC.Kind a feel like, say why can`t we all just get one option with all games like ,World Steam were all company`s can sell and give out different area`s there so called exclusive DLC call it World OF Steam or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
You're not a true BF fan if you're saying that lack of mod tools ain't a big deal.

Just saying...

Thats a nice opinion, but it simply that, an opinion. Would I like modding tools? Yes. Is it a deal breaker for me? No. Have I been extremely happy with BC2 maps and modes? Yes. Does BF3 bring a ton more to the table? Yes.

Sounds good to me.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm Slim fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4060 8GB (Temporary Until Next Gen)
Storage Kingston KC3000 M.2 1TB + 2TB HDD
Display(s) Asus TUF 24Inch 165Hz || AOC 24Inch 180Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Meh, this news ain't worrying me:eek: but EA!:mad: this game better come on steam you foolz:toast:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I lean much more towards ktr's assessment than erocker's but yeah I was like the first to say this is not a deal breaker.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
How people feel/think about this game will show itself once the beta is released. That's when people will care or not about mod tools, commander, como-rose, etc.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'll play a little devil's advocate here. Are video games art? For arguments sake, let's say yes. I dont' know of any artist (unless it's directly involved in the piece itself) that would allow their work to be copied and modded. It takes away from the purpose of the piece of art and the artists vision.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
It takes away from the purpose of the piece of art and the artists vision.

unless that is the vision, and with some games/devs it is.

games are art for sure. some crappy art, but still. some game devs/artists like modders.
modification is a part of art, and has been for...ever probably.

what about found/re-purposed art, that's a modification. is that not art?
remixes? i mean, good remixes - that take talent. that's art i think.

Raijian

Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.9 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula 890FX
Cooling Thermaltake Frio + Additional Fan
Memory 12gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD 5870 1GB + ATi Radeon HD 5870 [Crossfire]
Display(s) Samsung 25" LED
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower
Audio Device(s) ASRock VIA HD Onboard 7.1 Audio
Power Supply Kingwin Mach 1 1000W
Software Windows 7 x64 Professional / Backtrack 5
So this still isn't being released for steam?

That's a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
unless that is the vision, and with some games/devs it is.

games are art for sure. some crappy art, but still. some game devs/artists like modders.
modification is a part of art, and has been for...ever probably.

what about found/re-purposed art, that's a modification. is that not art?
remixes? i mean, good remixes - that take talent. that's art i think.

It's all up to the artist. Found?re-purpoused are are generally items that were not art and making them art. Good remixes generally need the original artists consent if they're still alive. It is up to the artist. What would be the reasons why EA/Dice/artists don't want this to be modded?

streetfighter 2

I'll play a little devil's advocate here. Are video games art? For arguments sake, let's say yes. I dont' know of any artist (unless it's directly involved in the piece itself) that would allow their work to be copied and modded. It takes away from the purpose of the piece of art and the artists vision.
I find that hard to believe seeing as how most artists willfully steal or borrow (depending on how you look at it) ideas from other artists. It's a do what I say but not what I do sort of thing, eh?
What would be the reasons why EA/Dice/artists don't want this to be modded?
They probably want to have the exclusive ability to release additional (for pay) DLC. It's a flawed notion if you ask me.

Allowing modding provides longevity for an engine and additional licensing opportunities for third party games. Additionally it increases the value of a game to consumers who are being asked to part with $50+ and submit to a DRM raping.

Last edited:
Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
So why doesn't EA/Dice/etc. want anyone to mod BF3? Due to the work involved with creating/releasing modding tools?