1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ebay scam?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Soup, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Soup

Soup New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I was perusing ebay and found some guy selling this:
    [​IMG]

He has it listed as a Sapphire HD 6850. I happen to have two of these cards and I'm pretty sure he's trying to scam someone. Firstly, green pcb? Also, look at how the pcb sticks out past the bezel...

I think he just stuck the heat sink onto some old card.

Thoughts?

2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I have two of those Sapphires as well. They sure don't look like that...

3. Soup

Soup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, just found another posted by a different user...
    [​IMG]

Perhaps I am wrong? or maybe someone else is perpetrating the same scheme?

4. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    The color may be off because of the camera or lighting. Not sure, here's a pic of mine I took before selling it (same model). The two you posted uses the same anti-static bag and everything so someone would have to be going to extreme lengths to scam $100 or whatever.

http://i.imgur.com/POCa1.jpg

You'd have to be really, really stupid to try to scam someone on eBay nowadays because of how much buyer protection there is. Basically a buyer can return an item for any reason and the seller is on the hook for the purchase price and possible negative feedback with no recourse.

I actually sold a 5770 on eBay about a year ago, he claimed it was defective because of a low windows experience score, he returned it, left me negative feedback and multiple nasty messages, I checked it all out and it was fine, and that was the last time I sold in eBay...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the sellers rep. At least that's how I see it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    The first photo's PCB does look different from the other 2. The second one and Zen's card do look identical. The first one looks like it has different components near the pcie interface as well as the top left corner. And it is longer. I'd say it's a different PCB.

Now, is it a scam or a different revision? Idk.

7. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it may be legit though though the way it overhangs the cooler in the original pic definitely seems strange. Can't really base anything on the PCB color itself though I admit that too doesn't seem quite right offhand.

Yeah this crap can certainly happen and nor do I like their 10% final value fee but the eBay user base is huge and sometimes it comes down to selling on eBay or not selling at all.

8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Last time I sold on eBay, they took $8 + $1.75 PayPal fee for a $40 item (around 25%). For some reason, it was listed under two categories, so I got charged for two "insertion" fees. When I called they said it was my fault and too bad, they wouldn't help me. I haven't been that pissed in years.

Sorry to get so OT, just wanted to rant about eBay / PP. Thank GOD for Craigslist.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The PCB is blue which is correct. It's just a different revision of the card. Not a scam at all.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    This was obviously a case of buyer remorse and eBay should have never approved it. However, at that point it's up to you to prove that the card was functioning normally and was free of flaws. I think the best way to avoid this is to be VERY specific in your item description so if the person buying claims whatever, then you can easily say that it was specifically stated in your ad.
    Obviously the guy you dealt with was a total idiot and hadn't the faintest idea of what he was buying.

11. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    yeah craigslist is awesome because its local and if done properly its completely free. also you can find hookers.

[XC] Oj101, Sasqui and brandonwh64 say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. qu4k3r

qu4k3r

Thanks Received:
    1+

Some kind of yellow light (fluorescent or tungsten) can make blue pcb looks like green.
    Sometimes certain white balance setup on the camera has the same efect.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    After I sold my Sapphire Toxic 5870 on ebay, I have never dealt with them ever again in regards to selling. I buy only hard to get things from ebay. But I got charged with about $60 on an item I sold for $480. I basically lost a little on the deal with PP and ebay charges. Never again.
    For me, its THANK GOD FOR TPU :cool:
    It's 100x safer to deal on a forum where you know people and where reputation can REALLY kill your name. Heatware FTW.
    Sorry it's a bit off topic, but had to be said.

14. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...gotta be careful on CL though too just in a different-and far more serious-way. This is more true in some areas than others of course but there are wackos/scammers everywhere.

Let's put it this way--nobody ever comes to my house and vice versa. That's probably common sense to many but still worth pointing out.

15. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'm a devout PP hater, I too buy on ebay, but using a mates PP, I won't use it myself.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yep, have to agree whole heartedly!

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU